TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I happened across this video on Sea Foam and thought I would share it.

I don't guess we could put Sea Foam in our crankcase but I would consider spraying it into the carb. What do you think?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like sea foam as a fuel system cleaner but not as a fuel stabilizer. Didn't have good luck with it in my bikes that sat longer than 5 months. I use startron or stabil for storage. As for sea foam added to my oil, I've never had the nerve to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I have been using Sea Foam products for years and always with excellent results. It was originally directed toward the marine industry but has since come full circle and is highly respected in the auto and small engine industries. There is no miracle fluid that can fix a broken engine but Sea Foam sure can work a few miracles on a tired or poor running one. I did use it in the crank case of the 1988 TW basket case I rebuilt some years back. The oil that was in it was like black tar and sludge. I used just regular dino oil with a double dose of the Sea Foam and ran the engine with a clean filter for 30 minutes around my yard. I then changed the oil and cleaned the filter and was completely amazed at all the crude that came out. When I opened the upper bleeder on the head to check for oil flowing I had globs of black crud oozing out for almost a full minute before clean oil ran out. That engine and bike made an epic US tour from NY to California and back to Texas and might still be running strong somewhere here around Conn. or NH.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only started using Sea Foam four years ago when you guys introduced it to me. I had always Marvel Mystery Oil, STP and Amsoil. I can't never seem to get enough of adding additives to my equipment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can't never seem to get enough of adding additives to my equipment.
I know what you mean! Makes you feel like you are doing something nice for the machines that serve us.

On a side note....I quit using Stabil several years ago. Was going to treat some fuel...went to the chemical cabinet for the bottle of Stabil..it had gone from bright pink cherry red to a dark dark Dr Pepper color. It had been open for quite some time(6 months to a year) and was probably still good..but I didn't chance it. Been using Lucas and Royal Purple products and of course Sea Foam.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I went to buy Sea Foam at the the local bike shop and he said he doesn't carry it any more because it has been known to clog up fuel systems and is better suited towards boats. So I bought another product to clear winter fuel out of my carb that's been idling high and thought on the way home, maybe it's a problem for EFI and it would be fine for a carb bike like our TWs since it is spoken of so highly on this forum.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Seafoam seems to be a good high priced over used product. What I mean by over used is that I don't recall hearing anyone say they use it according to directions. I always hear how great it is and I hear they put a whole bottle in at a fill up, on a car or truck. That is about $8.00 more per tank. That is expensive. If used correctly 1 can will last a while. I really don't find it any better than Berryman's fuel products but it is double the price. I have used Marvel Mystery Oil in my TW with great results. Only 1 carb overhaul since 1993, the bore and piston were still in spec, no ring or piston change. Only 1 valve job and no other major repairs.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Like I posted before I am a mechanic and only bought Seafoam to prove it does nothing just like most "mechanics in a can". In the spring my I could not get my TW to start so I poured some in the tank and when I tried it 5 minutes later it started so I thought ok maybe. I had not run my snow blower for a long time with the old gas in it so there I am pulling the cord for about 10 minutes in a snow storm, finally got tired and went into the garage where I spotted my bottle of Seafoam, I went and gave it a drink then returned the bottle to the garage. Gave the snow blower one pull and it sat there running without even a sputter. Ya I believe.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
It does work. I find that the Lucas Deep Clean System Fuel Cleaner works a little better though. I've worked on bikes that hardly started, sounded like they were running on half of one cylinder, pour 3 or 4 ounces in, gun it a few times, take it for a run and within 4 or 5 miles, it was like you just bought it new.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use 2 oz Seafoam every second time I fill up.....if I don’t forget. Bought my 2010 TW new in 2011 and have now 27k on the clock. NEVER EVER touched the carb in all those years and miles!!! If the bike doesn’t start it’s battery related and never carb related. So, does Seafoam work? Don’t know but either it does or I am just incredible lucky with my bike. BTW, I use it on my 2009 TW as well with same result.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, my summer stuff gets stored over the winter and the winter stuff over the summer, and starting about 11 years ago I put 3-4 capfuls of SeaFoam in every 20L (5gal) can of gas I've bought for the non-cars. Over the years that's been 2 snowblowers, 3 lawnmowers, the ATV (2 carbs on it), the TW, and now the DR650. My storage system regime involves just parking them in their spot after each use and eventually not using them again until their next season rolls around. I started the DR 2 evenings ago, and before that it was November.
I have never had any sort of carb issue when going to start them after they sat idle for up to 6 months. And I never buy supreme so I'm always running E10.

I know that's sort of like saying "I always wear lead underpants and I've never been struck by lightning!".....but aside from leaving containers open to suck in moisture, I pretty much break all the 'seasonal storage' rules....and everything runs like a top.
Maybe the Seafoam does nothing....but I'm pretty sure it's the reason I'm trouble-free so far...so for all it costs, I'll keep using it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm a believer - here in CA you are stuck with ethanol fuel and all the potential issues. I run SF in all my vehicles. When I bought my Dub a 2015 in 2016 with 25 miles I first siphoned out all the gas put in fresh fuel and it still ran terrible when first started and would sputter at higher rpm. I put half a bottle in and by the end of that tank the Dub started and warmed quickly and pulled hard all the way to high rpms. I bought my motorhome and it drove great until I got down to a 1/4 tank of fuel and was pulling a steep hill - it started studdering and lost power, barely made it up the hill! Next gas station i poured 2 bottles of SF in the tank and added 20 gallons of fresh fuel (tank holds 50 gallons). After that I added a bottle at all fill ups and have had zero problems since. There must have been water/crud at the bottom of the tank.
My buddies Harley was smoking and backfiring bad on a ride - found out he was running high octane (not necessary in a Harley - carbon buildup will ensue) he poured a full bottle in at lunch on that ride and the problem cleared up quickly.....
Most of the crap you see on the shelves touting miraculous benefits are snake oil.....not SF - imho.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I should add that if you are going to get your vehicle smog tested make sure you run all the Seafoam out of your tank and refill with fresh fuel - the additives in SF will potentially make you fail -

·
Registered
158 Posts
seafoam is good stuff.... but dont put in old gas tank ...all that poop will go to carb...lol....my 2000 chev truck had trans problems, would take 5 seconds to shift in reverse...ran some trans tune ...change filter and atf ,and made it another 150000 kms....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts