TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets start with a small disclaimer so i dont get chastised for using the wrong tool for the job. I DO own fuel bottles, but i also have some known packrat tendencies and was about toss my empty seafoam bottle when the old demon bit me. Should this be saved for an emergency fuel bottle? Wouldnt want to be kicking ones self ten years down the road for not taking valuable space up in the shop with old, dusty, empty bottles. Anyone do this? Would seem like a fine idea to me, but what do i know, a demon is working my fingers like a puppeteer right now.
Thanks

·
Registered
928 Posts
As long as you replaced the cap with something that doesn't leak when it's tipped on its side, use the metal bottle. Recycle... Reuse... Repurpose... whatever you call it, there's no sense wasting a perfectly good metal container. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive got a few funnels that fit right in. Im gonna put a little in tomorrow and lay it upside down. Interested to see how well that cap does. Dont remember it ever leaking seafoam.

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
Static testing is fine but I would try to also do a dynamic test with a bottle full of something less noxious should it leak. Say fill with a cheap beer like Hamms you won’t mind dumping out and subject the sea foam bottle to the vibrations and jolts of an Idaho trail ride.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Absolutely you can re-purpose and reuse those fuel treatment bottles. I have been reusing Stanadyne Diesel fuel treatment bottles for 4 years now. I refill the 8 ounce bottle with 6 ounces of Diesel Kleen using a small funnel.

I bought a tool tube carrier from ProCycle a couple months ago. It will just barely hold a .5 liter fuel bottle and I've been looking at the MSR bottles on Amazon. I am torn between converting to a bigger tank (Clarke/other) or carrying the fuel elsewhere (small fuel bottles- 1.25 gallon fuel can). It seems each option has some drawbacks. I like steel gas tanks. If I knew a skillful motorcycle tank builder, I would pay to have my tank modified to hold another 2 gallons instead. I will look around someday, likely sometime before the MOAB 2018 trip. It would be nice to not have to carry extra fuel on the tail or adding panniers while going off road.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I buy Tru Fuel pre mix for my chain saw, weed eater and the ice auger. It is 93 octane, non ethanol gas and pre mixed with either 40:1 or 50:1 oil and in 32 ounce very sturdy steel cans with a great screw cap.

These would fit perfect in a PVC pipe or tool tube that has a 3.5" inside diameter. I like the Sea Foam bottles but if I want to carry extra fuel for a long ride I like the 32 ounce size over the 16. I also have a few of the MSR fuel bottles that hold 33 ounces each. All are good choices for the intended use as all are designed to hold flammable liquids. It all depends upon how much extra fuel you want to carry and the size that fits where ever you plan to carry it.

BTW, Stihl, Husqvarnah and Techumseth all highly recommend the use of the Tru Fuel in their small engines and all three manufacturers HATE Ethanol.

GaryL

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've had Seafoam leak out of a bottle that fell on its side inside my large trunk. You might have better luck, though. If you are going to test, I would suggest using isopropyl alcohol as the test medium because that's closer to Seafoam than normal liquids. And really rattle the hell out of it. Put it in a ziplock bag, throw it in your saddle bags/ rear bag/ trunk/ whatever, and go for a nice bumpy ride. If there's any leaked into the ziplock, you'll be able to tell.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ha. I understand your urge to save. I have been using an MSR fuel bottle for a couple of seasons now. It rides in my tool tube with a Tinman Tim mount. It works great and has been on enough rides to rub off all of the paint. I have to use that extra fuel more than I would like to admit. Am working on a rotopax mount very soon and am seriously considering the Clarke TW fuel tank. I would consider sticking those refilled seafoam bottles out in the woods as a cache. That way I would not feel bad if someone else happened upon them before I got back to them. Hmmm....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Static testing is fine but I would try to also do a dynamic test with a bottle full of something less noxious should it leak. Say fill with a cheap beer like Hamms you won’t mind dumping out and subject the sea foam bottle to the vibrations and jolts of an Idaho trail ride.
Hamms...'from the land of sky blue waaa-ters'...from the old commercials with the bear, when I was a kid

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've had Seafoam leak out of a bottle that fell on its side inside my ......
door storage compartment in my pick-up.

I always kept a bottle in the door pocket of the truck because I trailered my ATV everywhere, so if I was putting gas in it, chances are it was on the trailer behind the truck. Anyway....it fell on it's side, leaked like a basket.
And maybe there are different tops in different areas..? Mine all have the small plastic top that you have to squeeze the little flaps in to unscrew.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts