TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a new Xring chain and sprockets. While reading up on replaceing them I notice everyone says to replace the seals. How many are there and what are they called specifically?

#s 23 and 30?

TRANSMISSION.png

#3?

CRANKCASE_COVER_1.png

#7? It says its obsolete

SHIFT_SHAFT.png

Any others?

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
The seals they are talking about are located here. Very good idea to inspect them at the very least. After removing my left side cover many times, I personally have never had to change any of these out, but I do inspect them. Eventually any seal will fail, up to you if you want to do it before it actually does.

The other seal to check and/or replace is the output shaft seal located on the left side cover. I have had to replace this
seal once.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I haven't changed mine yet, but I'm also replacing chain and sprockets in the next couple weeks. Common sense tells me, Yes, those are correct. Don't know why the shift shaft seal is obsolete. That's weird. Did you try looking somewhere else? You don't "need" to replace them unless they leak. #30 won't leak, just let dirt get to bearing if bad. Just check them and clean. Put a little oil on the lip of seal when putting back together. I use grease sometimes.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. This bike lived on the coast with much of it spent on the beach, grit everywhere. Think Ill go ahead and replace them and be done with it. I checked a number of places.........shift shaft seal seems to be obsolete.

·
Registered
816 Posts
rockymountainatvmc.com has them. thats where I get most of my parts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rockymountainatvmc.com has them. thats where I get most of my parts
Quite a bit more expensive than partzilla.................but they do have it so thats what counts. Even paying shipping from each place its cheaper to get only the shift shaft seal from rocky mountain and the rest from partzilla. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Just a minor clarification - the outboard bearing #30 in the stator side cover does have an oil supply via the ouput shaft #11 and will leak if worn or damaged.
Ok, good to know. I haven't ripped into my bike yet, so I didn't know. Didn't really look at parts pic that close either. Thanks.....;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ya , Bob oil actually flows through the center of the countershaft and lubes that outboard bearing in the cover, then flows back into the engine, kinda' unique and neat.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah, that is cool. Never had my hands on a motor that had an outboard type bearing like this. I guess if there wasn't oil supplied to that bearing, it would need to be sealed bearing.

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
I just replaced my outboard bearing and was offered a sealed bearing by Napa. I chose the open bearing and OEM seal trusting a slightly recirculating engine oil supply rather than the sealed bearing's internal lube. Stadium Yamaha as well as Boats.net seem to offer all these seals and bearings at reasonable online prices.
As far as bearing removal techniques the latest posts in "Betty goes BRrrr" has interesting discussions on tools and tool-less techniques. I installed new bearing last night. Bearing was put in 4 degree F freezer overnight to shrink and aluminum cover was expanded with heat from a heat gun. With just a hint of a moly gear lube the cold bearing slid neatly into place. A few taps with a hammer on a appropriately sized washer over the outer bearing race seated bearing a uniform 5mm deep into recess.
Good luck TWROG, I neglected to do this helpful preventative maintainance a year ago when I changed sprockets. Nothing leaked for ten months, then I developed the leak I am fixing now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts