TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the seat to install a small rack from Rocky Mountain. Went to reinstall the seat but the bolts won’t thread back in. Nothing I tried worked. After two hours of cursing the right side one finally grabbed, the left one does not want to have anything to do with it. I realize I have very limited mechanical skills but reinserting a bolt should not require a doctorate. I’d love to have some kind of quick seat release but why would other bolts work as the stock won’t? Spending the better part of a day trying to reinstall two bolts it’s pretty stupid.
PS: Yes I’ve read the “Mule Nuts” thread, there are two great quick release solutions there but first I need to figure out why the bolts won’t bite. Anybody had the same issue? Thank you

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Is the new rack interfering with your seat. Sometimes I have a hard time getting them started and always mean to make some studs on the seat then use the threaded knobs I made up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the new rack interfering with your seat. Sometimes I have a hard time getting them started and always mean to make some studs on the seat then use the threaded knobs I made up.
No, it’s not, first thing I checked, seat goes back the way it should, bolts do not.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
No, it’s not, first thing I checked, seat goes back the way it should, bolts do not.
Remove the seat and see if the bolts thread back in properly while off the bike. If so you have an alignment issue. If not either your bolt threads are damaged or your threaded inserts are.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
With the seat off and up side down will the bolts screw in??? Sometimes the T nuts in the seat pan are stripped and just spin instead of remaining locked in place.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
With the seat off and up side down will the bolts screw in??? Sometimes the T nuts in the seat pan are stripped and just spin instead of remaining locked in place.

GaryL
That is brilliant advice Gary! Wish I'd thought of that.......... ;)

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
That is brilliant advice Gary! Wish I'd thought of that.......... ;)

Tom
We just need to quit reading and typing at the same time Tom.

GaryL

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not sure how that rack mounts on this bike. But if the rack shares those bolts look to see if they line up properly. Sometimes when adding an accessory that shares bolts with something on the bike the accessories holes don't quite line up. Can change the angle of the bolts before they reach the seat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remove the seat and see if the bolts thread back in properly while off the bike. If so you have an alignment issue. If not either your bolt threads are damaged or your threaded inserts are.

Did that and they do although with a little force but not much. It has to be one of the three possibilities you suggested. I know those bolts are metric, do you happen to know the size? I’d like to try some new Allen bolts. Thank you

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how that rack mounts on this bike. But if the rack shares those bolts look to see if they line up properly. Sometimes when adding an accessory that shares bolts with something on the bike the accessories holes don't quite line up. Can change the angle of the bolts before they reach the seat.

No, rack does not share bolts with seat but good suggestion, thank you

·
Registered
775 Posts

Did that and they do although with a little force but not much. It has to be one of the three possibilities you suggested. I know those bolts are metric, do you happen to know the size? I’d like to try some new Allen bolts. Thank you
M6-1 around 1" I think

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Possibly seat is not far enough forward to align bolts with bolt holes on the frame tabs.

I make longer fasteners with a M6x1 x 45mm with a M6 jam nut. The extra length allows bolts to be found blind by fingers alone for removal, or stated by hand easily. Plus a socket finds and attaches quickly even if underside clogged with mud, dried mud, snow or ice.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts

Bolts are M6-1.0 thread with a 10 M bolt head.

GaryL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do the original bolts thread back in easily when the seat is off?

If the threads are a little damaged now and you are getting a couple of fresh new bolts, also get a couple that are slightly longer (they might line up easier).

You'll need to get the seat to come on and off easily because a lot of maintenance requires the seat to be removed.

Text me if you need an extra hand.

Phil

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Go here to post number 24. https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/190-mule-nuts-3.html

This is so simple and works great for easy removal and installation of the seat. You need a 6M-1.0 threaded bolt about an inch to 1 1/2" long. Drill a hole for the pins to go through and use thread locker on the threads when you put the studs into the bottom of the seat where they will remain permanently.

GaryL

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go here to post number 24. https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/190-mule-nuts-3.html

This is so simple and works great for easy removal and installation of the seat. You need a 6M-1.0 threaded bolt about an inch to 1 1/2" long. Drill a hole for the pins to go through and use thread locker on the threads when you put the studs into the bottom of the seat where they will remain permanently.

GaryL
As Gary suggested it was an alignment problem, minimal but enough to prevent me to thread the bolts in. My solution was to grind/enlarge the bracket bolt hole and buy longer bolts. I used a drill bolt driver to give the bolt momentum and voila, problem solved. Thank you all for the suggestions and help. Now that I know that nothing is stripped I can start devising some kind of quick release. thanks again.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I like Fred's solution:

But I use a bolt that is threaded along its full length .
And a Nyloc nut.
That way I can adjust how much bolt length is exposed below the seat.
This allows minimal length to avoid digging into our jumbo-donut tires.
And stainless steel bits, as the rest of the bike.
And you don't even have to look or feel around under the seat to get a socket on the bolt head...easy-peasy!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Joeband's idea above is probably best.

I started with a similar design but was not too happy with it hanging down lower unprotected from rear tire with full compression. Probably not a real issue, but that is just me lol. Anyhow, I said f'it and just went this route and make sure i have a small 5mm hex key in my on-bike kit.

hex.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts