TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seat is killing me. Anything past about two hours riding and I get really uncomfortable.

I've read several posts and done some research on how to address it. First, I've taken one of garden kneelers, the foam rubber kind, and cut it down and slipped it under my Stearns seat cover. That helped, but isn't quite what I'm looking for.

The other things I've seen on this site are the Airhawk cusion, or have the seat redone to add extra padding. In that case, I saw a specific post that suggested 2" of 60 lb. foam and 1" of 30 lb. foam.

After looking at the price for the cushion, and talking to an upholstery shop, I think I can do either for about $125 give or take $20.

So, I'm looking for opinions on which way to go. The portablility of an Airhawk, or the full seat padding on reupholstery.

If you've done either/or, please let me know how it has worked out for you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My seat is killing me. Anything past about two hours riding and I get really uncomfortable.

I've read several posts and done some research on how to address it. First, I've taken one of garden kneelers, the foam rubber kind, and cut it down and slipped it under my Stearns seat cover. That helped, but isn't quite what I'm looking for.

The other things I've seen on this site are the Airhawk cusion, or have the seat redone to add extra padding. In that case, I saw a specific post that suggested 2" of 60 lb. foam and 1" of 30 lb. foam.

After looking at the price for the cushion, and talking to an upholstery shop, I think I can do either for about $125 give or take $20.

So, I'm looking for opinions on which way to go. The portablility of an Airhawk, or the full seat padding on reupholstery.

I ordered a brand new seat from Yamaha and as soon as I get it I'm sending it off to Rick Mayer cycle to have a custom seat made. He has the seat for over a month so if you don't send him spare seat your TW will be disabled for quite a while.

Chip

·
Registered
464 Posts

I have a Rick Mayer Seat. I sent mine to him in '07 (in late October) and he turned it in two weeks. I like the seat. With shipping it was cheaper than the upholstery shop quote you got. But I caught him during a slow period and he gave me a deal as well and that was almost 4 years ago.

Picture of seat below and I have spent as many as 10 hours a day in the seat sometimes longer and for several weeks on end. Some people do not like the wider seat design butt…………the choice is yours…….….

Mike

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Call me a hard ass if you want, but I found slipping a bit of the thin closed cell pad (two layers ) under the Wally world pad made a big difference in helping me not slide forward toward the low part of the seat. That made a big diff in how I rode (stretched out a bit more) and improved my comfort. I'm not sure who posted this treatment within the last 5 weeks, but they earned my thanks because it was an obvious, easy, and effective improvement. Additional point, once you get to that campsite, lunch site, or rest stop, pull that thin pad out from under the Wally world pad and save your seat from the rocks. Its a great place to effectively store a pad for off bike sitting, and a way to change the comfort of the bike while on board. Thanks, whoever you were. I tried to search for the suggestion but did not succeed. Cheers, Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I did over 1000 miles in 21 hours on the stock seat. I don't understand the problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked at the Rick Mayer site, and it appears a seat done there will cost over $400, which is well over what I'd like to spend.

Am I misreading the site?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
If the shape of the stock seat is not to far off for you do like one of my customer did. Order a raw gel pad from Dennis Kirks street book and insert it under the cover.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
For those riders that are vertically challenged and may be tiptoeing the bike at rest, remember that while those pads will probably add comfort, they will also raise the seat height 1/2-1" if put over the stock seat and under the Stearns pad.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
In my opinion, it is always cost VS benefit. The TW is a "low-cost" bike. For those of us over 50, changes will likely be needed if we expect a pleasant 'long-term' experience. I found the stock seat uncomfortable, as have many others. Most have found relief with the Sterns (Walmart) seat pad. I paid some extra dollars ($110) and purchased a very nice "Airhawk" seat cushion. The product box say's I can bet my ass that it will be comfortable. I did, and it is.............. Gerry

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Go ahead and laugh..i did the first time. But after the next day of riding we'll see whos laughing now.
Its a 10 dollar bar stool cushion from wally mart..then i put the stearns cover over top of it so it looks a little better. And if your butt is still sore you can double up on the cushion

·
Registered
78 Posts
SO what did that seat job cost you

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nuttin...

I found it laying in my garage and i just happened to set it next to the tw without thinking..came back down and thats when it hit me

Walmart does have some similar for 10 bucks. I should buy a black one so it doesn't look so bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts