TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many have complained over the years, the seat is a real bitch to take on and off with the location of the bolts under the fender area and the tab for the tongue to the tank.
I solved my problem by modifying the fasteners underneath. I took some longer bolts and screwed them into my removed seat until they bottomed out. Then I marked the spot where the bolt was just exposed from the seat. I then removed the bolts and drilled a hole at that point and screwed the bolt back in. Once tight, I cut the bolt head off. I then got some R clips and tethered them with some stainless wire to a lug ring and attached.
Now when I install the seat, I push the tongue up under the tab on the tank, then drop the threaded pins into the holes in the fender. I reach under the fender and install the R clips. To remove the seat, grab the wire tethers and tug. Lift up on the seat and slide the seat tongue off the tank tab. Done! Here are the photos;

·
Registered
439 Posts
As many have complained over the years, the seat is a real bitch to take on and off with the location of the bolts under the fender area and the tab for the tongue to the tank.
I solved my problem by modifying the fasteners underneath. I took some longer bolts and screwed them into my removed seat until they bottomed out. Then I marked the spot where the bolt was just exposed from the seat. I then removed the bolts and drilled a hole at that point and screwed the bolt back in. Once tight, I cut the bolt head off. I then got some R clips and tethered them with some stainless wire to a lug ring and attached.
Now when I install the seat, I push the tongue up under the tab on the tank, then drop the threaded pins into the holes in the fender. I reach under the fender and install the R clips. To remove the seat, grab the wire tethers and tug. Lift up on the seat and slide the seat tongue off the tank tab. Done! Here are the photos;

View attachment 210856

View attachment 210859

View attachment 210860
And then for installation of the seat find a 40 year old kid, who has no sciatica problems, and who does not need bifocals to see, and offer him/her a six pack to pin the seat.

Not saying it's not an elegant solution... it is. Just saying that that bartasds at Yamaha did us no favor with this particular seat retaining system. I let mine float.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
The hairpins are an elegant solution!

I've always thought Yamaha should have used "snap" pins to hold the seat, similar to how the side covers attach to the fuel tank.

I've been meaning to do something like this for a long time now... but it's never quite made it to the top of my list. ;)

Little Tommy's velcro method works well too, although the velcro might need replacing from time to time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's two holes in the bolt mounts, why not cable the pins to one of those? Shorter and maybe less likely to snag.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
With the velcro style; remember to secure it an additional way when being transported in open air. I think it was on the way to a Moab gathering that someones flew off in route. Heard at camp: "Anybody bring a spare seat?"

·
Registered
416 Posts
I too, have been thinking of getting rid of the seat bolts altogether. I would use the existing frame tabs (same location) to bolt on the manrack and figure out a way to fasten the seat another way.

It would be nice to remove the seat quickly at times, without fiddling with a loaded rack.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the Manrack, the fitting point takes a mild upward pressure, countered by the weight of the rider applying downward pressure – which rack do you use ? ……
I have the ManRack! They are made about an hour from where I live. Met the owner, or one of them, at a kayaking event. He gave me a discount for meeting with him and not having to ship. A nice guy but, I'm sorry, I will not wear the t-shirt he gave me. It said, 'Nice Man Rack'. Not that there's anything wrong with that.... Ha!

Reactions: DaFoole

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And then for installation of the seat find a 40 year old kid, who has no sciatica problems, and who does not need bifocals to see, and offer him/her a six pack to pin the seat.

Not saying it's not an elegant solution... it is. Just saying that that bartasds at Yamaha did us no favor with this particular seat retaining system. I let mine float.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Boy you got that right! However, I don't have to get down on my knees to look up and I don't need tools. I can grab the pin by the tether, feel for the hole and slide the pin home while standing next to the bike. Just the absence of tools was great. Once I realized that beveling the hole made it easy to align the pin to the hole, and that the hole was able to be fixed at the same angle every time it's used, I could do it without getting down and looking.
Give it a try, all it costs is a couple of bolts, R clips and some wire and lugs. Someone with motivation should make this a kit and sell them.

Reactions: El Viejo

·
Registered
336 Posts
I’ve been using this setup for several years. It’s always worked great and never had a snagged cable.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good. I just wonder if something won't snag your wire.
5000 miles so far, so good. If they got snagged, what's the worst that would happen? I'd have to stop and put the R pin back in? Easy peasy.

Gastone165 said:
I’ve been using this setup for several years. It’s always worked great and never had a snagged cable.
I bet I stole my idea from you! Ha! I know I'm not the original design and copied off another anyway. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Haha!
I’m glad you stole it from me Ski, I stole a version of it from someone else on this site.
Isn’t that the main purpose of the forum, to help each other out and share ideas?

·
Registered
2019 TW200
22 Posts
I tackled this by just putting a spacer and a longer bolt from the Ace Hardware bolt bins. It's now removable using the 10mm wrench.

Two M6-1.0 X 50mm bolts
Two 1/4" x 3/8" x 1" steel spacers
Four M6 split locking washers
Two M6 fender washers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tackled this by just putting a spacer and a longer bolt from the Ace Hardware bolt bins. It's now removable using the 10mm wrench.
I toyed with this option as well, but with a wing nut or a wing nut on a bolt so I could manage the seat install/removal without tools. Then I saw the R clip mod and finally! Something I could use an R ring on after buying an assortment from Harbor Freight! Ha!

Reactions: Coreyjdl

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
View attachment 210863
For those who are set on weight reduction, You're now minus 2 bolt heads for a lighter bike. I use a mini-breaker bar which is about 4" long with a 10mm socket on it. I can break those bolts loose and then extend the wrench like a nut driver and just spin the bolts right out. I've never had an issue with those bolts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts