TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my TW for about 3 years now. Really like the bike. I typically go for about 50 mile rides. Any suggestions on an upgrade to the seat. I just can’t seem to go more than 50 miles with the stock seat before the butt goes numb. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I can't help you as 50 miles is about all I ever ride and I do occasionally stand up on the pegs to shake things down and relieve any stiffness or numbness ...…

But yesterday I spend the better part of a hour trying to put the seats back on a couple TWs ….the idiot that designed that method of securing the seat must be the same idiot that decided a kick start was superfluous …. sorry for the drift...my only excuse is that I am still annoyed and my back and knees still hurt....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I decided to try this route after seeing it on the forum.

7CEEED62-A94A-4739-A2DE-441B4BF44A9F.png

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yesterday I rode 129 road miles on my TW. Previous owner installed the Seat Concepts seat so I have no experience with the stock seat to compare.
About mid ride I felt the need to shift my position a bit but I never got numb.

I don't sit very often in general. I just started riding a few months ago. I wear jeans on my ride. And my rear tire was overinflated by a moto shop.

I can recommend the seat. If your tall they will be releasing a new taller seat in the near future.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
the stock TW seat has often been called "the plank" or the "2x4" for good reason lol

It looks great but feels terrible

Coleman makes an add on cover often sold at Walmart etc that helps a little but the 100% cure is the Seat Concepts high density foam and vinyl cover kit

I can ride all day on a Seat Concepts seat even if I have not ridden in months and my butt is not "used" to riding ad I never feel any pain

At Moab in 2017 I had not ridden in the 6 months prior so I thought by day 3 my rump would be raw but I ended up riding daily for the full 10 days and never felt any discomfort

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Being as a TW is an "everything bike" which means it'll do anything and everything average.

The stock seat is actually very good if you spend a bunch of time off-road or on the trails. You might be standing a lot of that time anyway depending how severe you ride. But for long-term rides on pavement you are asking a lot of that seat. At least it was in my case where comfort comes at a high priority. Up there with safety.

Those that have already mentioned "Seat Concepts" know first-hand. It is a night & day difference and they make seats, covers, foam & padding for many makes and brands. Not cheap but IMHO well worth it. In fact I have been guilty of "sitting" going over extreme whoops on a Seat Concepts seat. Like Super Mario.
And 200 mile rides on pavement are no problem. Folks like those Colman pads too. I just have no experience with them.

IMG_5330.JPG

IMG_5329.JPG

Sometimes it's not just the seat but handlebar and it's switchgear position. Before you get into a different seat, cover or padding think about how you sit in the first place. A simple adjustment of the bars might have you sitting a different way. You can also inexpensively add different sized risers. Another angle position of the way you sit that might make you think twice about the seat.

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

IMG_5452.JPG

Finally, change the toddler footpegs to adult size. For me having something more flat to stand or rest my dogs on made another comfort difference.
Also the OEM ones were embarrassing, Ha

IMG_4952.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The Seat Concepts seat is the 2nd best upgrade I've made on my bike.
The 1st best upgrade is good suspension!!

I was a little disappointed in the Seat Concepts at first. A bit too hard for my wrinkled old arse.
But after a couple hundred miles it "broke in" (the seat, not my arse) and now it is excellent. Not hard or soft, just cheek-hugging firmness.
Now, every 50 miles or so, I just stop, get off and let it laugh (my arse, not the seat)!

I got the "carbon fibre" seat pattern...just slick enough to allow you to easily to slide up or back, when you want to. And it looks cool!
Don't care for the rough textured one...looks too much like asphalt.

Didja hear about the Texas Aggie who thought asphalt was a rectal disorder?:eek:

·
Registered
378 Posts
OK. Lots of good info.
But not the way I went. Back in the day. When I was poor and making payments on a new 1987 TW. I pulled the seat cover off and added a layer of carpet padding. I've not had to change that even having replaced to cover twice. Looking for an economy solution it may be worth a thought.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Doesn't sound like Sbungo is running or riding MX. Just looking for comfort.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I wanted a higher seat and Seat Concepts said they wouldn't make one. Fisher Upholstery in Idaho will make one if you send them your pan. I have bought a few.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
This photo has Mrs Trip's lowrider with a seat I cut down.
My bike in back with the 'high' seat
And a stock TW for reference.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
That's a really nice color combination all around Rhodetrip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see the comments about MX seats. I’m very familiar with MX bikes being I’ve owned many over the years and I couldn’t agree more that the seats are like cement. I don’t think the TW falls into the same motorcycle category as any MX bikes, lol.
With that being said, thanks for the feedback. I think I may look into the Seat Concepts for a replacement since many of you and others recommend it. Looking for a bit more comfort and sounds as though this may do the trick.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I wanted a higher seat and Seat Concepts said they wouldn't make one. Fisher Upholstery in Idaho will make one if you send them your pan. I have bought a few.

That seat looks cool on the TW. I can't believe no one offeres a tall seat kit
In addition for long ride comfort, it helps soak up things the rear suspension cant

1 - 20 of 26 Posts