TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

second change to my bike; fuel filter

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  frog13 
#1 ·
so this is sort of a beta phase of the fuel filter addition I am making.

the fuel I get is exceptionally bad because I live in a remote third world country.

we get a lot of sludge, dirt and water in the fuel here, so a generous filter is probably worth having, but I realize that in an area with good fuel, adding a filter is of little benefit.

this was the only in line filter I could find in town, it won't fit between the carb and the tank where the line would normally run, but seems to fit ok just below the carburetor. I would be happier if it were tucked in above the carburetor like the little right angle ones, but you work with what you got. I am half tempted to relocate it to where the carbon canister is, but then I would be worried about vapor lock.

I will have to remove it to drain the fuel because fuel comes in the bottom and goes back out the top. I chose to do it this way to collect water and because I don't plan on draining the fuel often (other then through the main Jet).

I will fabricate a bracket to hold it in place. the Zip ties are not permanent.

it does not seem to have any problem drawing enough fuel through the extra hose and filter, but I haven't tested it away from the garage yet.

maybe I should move it even lower to directly beneath the carburetor.

Layne

See less See more
#3 ·
that is heavy duty

#5 ·
it actually is for an outboard motor.

we have one outboard that had two of these things in line and it still eventually got water in the carb. I am sure it will be more then enough for the bike, but it is nice to know the fuel filter is not the week link.

#6 ·
Another Idea to think about is a water separating fuel filter funnel. Usually found at marine stores. It filters out water and grit when you fill up the tank. But no way of knowing if it's avail out your way
They come in small to huge sizes.

Cool idea for anyone who fills up with gas jugs that may have crud in them. They come in a bunch of sizes.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2TUgxTjHfc[/media]

http://www.amazon.com/FUEL-FILTER-FUNNELL-2-7-GPM/dp/B000N9G1BK

#7 ·
OK, so I finally got some time to finish mounting the filter.

I cut a new length of fuel line and lowered the filter, this allowed me to mount it much farther inside the frame. I felt like it was sticking out too much before.

I used a piece of stainless steel strap material for a bracket that mounts to the lower air box screw. It feels quite solid and I am happy with it.

now I can move on to my next project: easy access pepper spray holster.

#8 ·
Layne, Not to try to read your mind, but you have more things to spend your money on than pepper spray. I'm plagued by dogs that chase bicycles here in New Mexico and have found that ammonia solution (like is sold for washing windows) is capable of deterring dogs when it can be delivered even near them. I use a Vietnamese Hot Sauce Bottle (Sriracha - garlic chile paste) which has a nice closable nozzle, soft enough bottle to give your some pressure and unique enough that you will never confuse it with a water bottle to drink from. You probably have something that comes in a similar bottle available locally. I dilute the concentrated ammonia solution about 3 or 4 to l with water and on the road as my bottle is lowered from use, I just add water without loosing reducing its ability to deter. Its less likely to cause major damage to you if it happens to blow back in your face, but I'm assuming you are going to use it at very low speeds. Even when you miss the dog or only get a mist around it, they often stop and smell it, and are confused (perhaps their own fixation on urine smells makes them register you as a major territorial rival not worth messing with. I apologize if I've incorrectly guessed at you use for pepper spray, but I know there are not many bears in PNG, and dogs are likely your threat. Here's the bottle that I use and its widely available here in the US and throughout the Pacific that I've traveled in.

Whoops - you don't see photobucket or didn't earlier in your visits here. Sorry.

But as I recall you can visit websites and if so, here is a site with a photo of the Sriracha bottle. http://foodproof.com/photos/full/sriracha-sauce-362

Tom

#11 ·
the only dangerous land animals here are either small and poisonous or not likely to be on a logging road (crocodiles and cassowary) dogs here are so underfed and anorexic they only survive if they are small, and so they are not a threat. I actually want it for roadblocks. Criminals will hide on the side of the road after a turn or something similar and they will pull a tree onto the road and rob/kill/rape anyone they manage to stop. two of my friends have been attacked in the last 6 months and some people who left just before I got here were nearly killed.

I don't want to paint a negative picture, 99.99% of the people here are extremely honorable and friendly, but with an ineffective law enforcement, the .01% that are criminals, feel at liberty to do whatever they want and they are often violent. fortunately around here few people have guns so pepper spray is a reasonable self defense. Flare guns are also popular self defense weapons around here, but I only have pepper spray.

#10 ·
Hey Tom, your idea seems to be a good one. Before I headed down Baja, I attached a canister of "Halt" (pepper spray) to my handlebars, seemed silly. One afternoon, out in the middle of ?? I seemed to be moving along the property line of some grand estate. Way, way off, I could hear/see this speck that at the time I laughingly thought 'might' be a dog. A minute or two after, I found my 'telescopic' (
) vision to be correct. Given the 'close-in' clarity, I found the DOG to be rather LARGE and NASTY !!!!!, It seemed to be very clear that if not my ass, at least my right leg would be history. Grabbed the (silly) Halt and kept spraying while pedalling a gear ladened 'single speed' all of 10mph. I think the dog was laughing. My right sock soaked up his (?) spittle, but the "halt" proved to work in my favor. Best of luck Layne. Gerry

#13 ·
A non-aerasol spray bottle of ammonia is a strong deterrent. Add a second bottle of bleach to create a chemical weapon that will do significant damage.

EDIT: A squirt bottle of gasoline and a Zippo make a dandy stand-off weapon, too.

#15 ·
What I really need to install is a red button that when pressed causes flames to shoot out in every direction.

then wings could articulate out of the gas tank and the rear wheel would turn into a jet engine and and and ...

Batman.

yah.

that all will have to come after the luggage rack.

#16 ·
I guessed incorrectly as to why you wanted the pepper spray. Good luck on coming up with effective ways to deal with the bad guys. Traveling in pairs, quick reflexes, and a defensive attitude should help. Don't depend on pepper spray only. Tom

#20 ·
If push came to shove, I'd treat the perps like any other debris in the roadway--downshift/full power/dump clutch/yank hard/ride over. I expect a skidplate to the face would take the fight out of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.