TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snuck away day before yesterday for a quick overnighter to the LBJ National Grasslands.

Left a bit after morning rush hour and took the service road of I-35 out of Dallas, made a short jaunt on 380, and then hit the back roads. The only photo I stopped to take was at this old grocery in Greenwood, TX:

I'd never been up to the LBJ Grasslands before, and there is not much to it in terms of recreational amenities other than the natural terrain. The lakes are essentially big puddles and there is not much to do other than enjoy the landscape or hunt. There are some caliche "gravel" roads running through the area, but no OHV trails. When I arrived about half the roads were closed, so there wasn't much riding to be had within the area. But I was on the bike and out of town, and that's what counts.

I found a good spot that was high enough to catch some breeze and had a bit of shade so I set up camp:

The sunset was not spectacular but still pretty nice.

Soon after sundown packs of coyotes started barking, howling and generally making a racket.

I was up with the sun, packed up camp, and rode around a bit.

Then I rode into Decatur for breakfast at a little cafe on the town square, across from the courthouse.

From there is was back home again on a different route, via more backroads.

At about 24 hours and less than 200 miles, it was another quick trip, but a god one. Everyday is an opportunity, and you have to take advantage of what you can...

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Nice overnight out. Courthouse is pretty cool looking.
This is why you (and the rest of us) like to ride and being on TW's! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Ken and flatgrind

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Impressively compact load out for an overnighter. Guess fair weather and a minimum of food preparation help reduce the gear but where do you keep the cold beverages so enjoyable after an adventurous ride?

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impressively compact load out for an overnighter. Guess fair weather and a minimum of food preparation help reduce the gear but where do you keep the cold beverages so enjoyable after an adventurous ride?
I need to work on that part of the kit! I've been going solo and keeping it to the bare minimum. No food, just water. I just stopped somewhere along the way to eat.

Temps have been 60's-80's so I've had a very compact 55 degree bag. The tent and the sleeping pad are the bulk of what I've packed. The other bag is a 25 liter dry bag with the sleeping bag, tools, change of clothes, toiletries.

I keep hoping I'll stumble across a backcountry kegger 🍺, but it hasn't happened yet, LOL!

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Could you freeze some of your water bottles and roll them with some super chilled adult beverages in your 55 degree bag for Attitude Adjustment Hour...set up tent, unroll bedroll and relax with a chilled one?
Might make for a lumpy, larger stow bag but a cold beer or two is worth it.

Reactions: Scooterbrained

·
Registered
77 Posts
I keep planning these 1 to 3 week trips that always seem to fall through. I think making some overnighters may be the way to get back into the multi-day travelling. Nice pictures, thanks
Mikey

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I keep planning these 1 to 3 week trips that always seem to fall through. I think making some overnighters may be the way to get back into the multi-day travelling. Nice pictures, thanks
Mikey
The problem is too much planning. Too many "What if This" or What if Thats" ? ? creep up and causes too much thought process strangled by the practical thinking rope. Then you turn around and look back after one or two weeks and all you see is a 14 day long noose made out of rational rope pointing closer to the fucking grave.

We've all done it. Where's my beer?

Marty

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nice skies. The Boss and I are doing Route 66. Currently camped just east of Amarillo. The fires out west are giving us dirty horizons.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Good for y'all Loghouse! Surely we can expect a full trip report at ride's end?
Looking forward to that.

Marty

·
Registered
195 Posts
Could you freeze some of your water bottles and roll them with some super chilled adult beverages in your 55 degree bag for Attitude Adjustment Hour...set up tent, unroll bedroll and relax with a chilled one?
I agree that an adult beverage before bed is a winner. However, a soggy sleeping bag from the condensation from frozen bottles defrosting during the day might put a damper on your sleep plans.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice skies. The Boss and I are doing Route 66. Currently camped just east of Amarillo. The fires out west are giving us dirty horizons.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I was thinking about trying to get up to Palo Duro Canyon and Caprock Canyon on one of my next jaunts.

Hope you are having a good trip!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that an adult beverage before bed is a winner. However, a soggy sleeping bag from the condensation from frozen bottles defrosting during the day might put a damper on your sleep plans.
If I was going to pack a cold one, I would probably pour it into an insulated bottle. Wouldn't sweat, and those things would keep it frosty for a long time. (y)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hauled a 12-pack sized cooler into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area for a 3 day excursion beyond reach of any amenities. During packing preparations, I had loaded it with 12(?) oz bottles of soft drinks, and filled it with water 1" deep and froze the entire cooler. Every day I would add another inch of water and freeze, repeating until the ice was just below where the necks started narrowing.

By the second day, the surrounding ice had loosened just enough to start extracting bottles full of slush filled ice cold Dr. Pepper. Everyone in our group enjoyed a few, even those who otherwise didn't care for Dr. Pepper. The last bottle came out still cold floating in ice water on the third day. The key was plastic bottles and the gradual increase in the water (ice) level while freezing. The BWCA doesn't allow glass or cans, but allows plastics as long as you pack in/pack out.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I'm guessing someone creative could find a way to lodge a fresh travel mug next to the tranny or exhaust to keep it hot...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, neighbor(ish)! I've run around the grasslands quite a few times in the days of - well, not now. It's a good ride. You probably already know but the folks at the Greenwood store will cook a pretty good burger for you next time you're out that way. Glad you got away! Inspirational escape idea (y)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, neighbor(ish)! I've run around the grasslands quite a few times in the days of - well, not now. It's a good ride. You probably already know but the folks at the Greenwood store will cook a pretty good burger for you next time you're out that way. Glad you got away! Inspirational escape idea (y)
Hi neighbor! I had no idea. Definitely going to check it out next time. Hard for me to pass up a good burger!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts