TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hey Grewen, that driver waking up confused as to where he was is nothing new. I can remember as a kid riding shot-gun with my dad in the days before log books were used. We hauled general freight in and then during fishing season we hauled fish back out of the Northern end of Vancouver Island over some of the craziest logging roads you have ever seen. Due to the lack of regulations the drivers just kept going till their bodies shut down and I have watched my dad drive twenty two hours straight, then a quick 45 min nap and go again. My job was to talk to him to keep him awake and let him know when the turns were coming. I would ride weekend after weekend just to get my chance behind the wheel and there were many nights he would say it was safer for me to drive then him due to fatigue. At the time this was all fun and a thrill to have contol of that truck while he crashed in the bunk, and to think I had just turned 12! Now when he and I recall those days he just shakes his head and can't believe what we got away with in those days. I am all for log books and regulations and truely believe it saves lives, but to think of a big rig with no driver at the controls scares me. Here on the Island we have wildlife everywhere and many truck have been totaled by hitting an elk or large black bear, but many quick reacting drivers have avoided these collisions and their skill behind the wheel kept the trailer behind them and on the road. Not sure driverless trucks will have the same control but I still like the old days when trucks were trucks and you had to shift the gears and man-handle those beasts through traffic and winding logging roads. Some times progress scares me!

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Your son deserves an Academy Award !!!! He was great in that video !!!!

Anyway, if you are around Google in Mountain View keep an eye out for this car. I have seen it driving about during the lunch time traffic mess and doing quite well.

Self driving car1.jpg

Honestly, I would rather go back to Model T's than forward to self-driving cars.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your son deserves an Academy Award !!!! He was great in that video !!!!
Hahaha, that's funny Tony :D! I'll pass it it on. Maybe I could be his agent?

An all day photo-shoot, two cameramen - one in the cab and one in the chopper, countless takes. All for a 1 minute, 13 second video. Matthew wasn't even expecting to be in it. I'm waiting until the uncut version comes out on video ;).

·
Registered
13,806 Posts
Cool that your son is in the video. I'm having an awfully hard time accepting these self-driving vehicles. My thought is a modern day version of a train or bus where someone else is driving. Awfully hard time I'm having.

Sort of hypocritically speaking, I love cruise control though!:D

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
Surveys of the public reveal a resistance to accepting fully autonomous vehicles. Folks feel they still want to be in the loop and capable of operating the vehicle themselves. Manufacturers attempting to accommodate this brings forth many of the problems associated with the ""hand-off" , or transition from machine to human control. Google's videos of extensive experiments with their employee volunteers reveals the high frequency of inattention at the critical transitional moment by the humans. We are all to often just not ready to rapidly leap back in the saddle with acceptable situational awareness and reaction times. Recent Road & Track magazine has an interesting and informative article about this.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The safest way for this to work, is for uniform participation on all drivers and vehicles. An interconnected link amongst all vehicles through the road, a satellite, or roadside towers - or all of the above, will ensure safety and efficiency.

I personally hate the upcoming wave of the future. It's another idea that we're not capable of functioning without technology. Also - what happens when these systems get hacked? Chaos - complete and horrific chaos!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I like the music in the video. Good truck driving music with no lyrics is appropriate for a truck with no driver to sing about.
I personally feel that if they want to do this, the truck should be on rails alongside the highway instead of on it.
Oh wait, they already have that. So why take the roads away from the rest of us when the solution is just use the rails that are already there.
It's called railway trains and they actually work.

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
Good points Adam. Wishing the DOT good luck when they try to seize my fleet of primitive manual transmissions for mandatory retrofitting for compliance with proposed autonomous roadways of the future...maybe they will put a six-speed auto in my TW.;)
Speaking of compulsory compliance with social and environmental engineering goals remember back in the late 60s when a phase-out of leaded gasoline in the US was proposed? Instant success and compliance, right? Nope, wasn't legislated until 1973 I believe. One could still buy leaded gas 23 years later until 1996.

Heaven help the over-worked intelligent roadway network computers when they detect my TW is merging with traffic and refusing to accept remotely issued commands to accelerate to 75mph. 1341acb912399092588475bba4046248.jpg

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm not totally against computer controlled cars and trucks. there can't be as many misshapes created by computers as there are by drivers under the influence of drugs and booze. or just plain falling a sleep

1 - 15 of 15 Posts