TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The decision is not final...but I am leaning towards selling the 2014 that I purchased in March 2014 new from Honda East outside of Toledo....

This decision, while not final, doesn't come easy, because I still imagine that I can ride it once again in Moab, Big Bend, and the reaches of Michigan's UP, and the Hills of West "By God" Virginia....however, at 70 years old, and well into that year....I also have other adventures that I want to complete, and the 2009 Jeep Wrangler that I purchased in January beckons as well....I could use both, but with the time I have left, I'm not sure that is feasible. While my Health is fairly good, D2 and a touch of Neuropathy not withstanding, the time may be at hand.

If I choose to sell, I plan on using any money to upgrade the Jeep and have it ready for Big Bend's trials and similar off road adventures...at this age I may, may I say, be better suited for 4 wheels, rather than 2....

The Asking Price?

Have not decided, but I will upgrade the battery, any new Rubber, currently the Stock Rear and the Michelin T63 Front, are probably in need of being replaced soon....but I will toss in the low miles "Death Wing" {500 miles} in as a "Gift";):D

Blue has just a shade over 7000 miles, uses Syn Oil and has a New {Less than 600 miles} Stock Chain...

If I sell, there are some upgrades I am sure the buyer would want to add....however, it has given me 5 years, especially the first 3 of great off and back road pleasure....and runs like a Champ...

Stay Tuned!

TW Bath Time 005.JPG View attachment Jeep at Windy Point 1.jpg

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sorry to read this, Hoot.
I gave up motorcycling last Sep, after 55 years of riding, at age 71 1/2, due to an eye issue.
...but Jeeps can be fun.
Whatever you decide, enjoy!

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
I resemble all of those remarks Hoot. This getting older crap is for the birds but still better than the alternative. Still being active enough to toss a leg over the seat is great but with all the aches and pains after just a short hop it just is not worth it for me. Up here where I am it is bad enough driving my 4 runner into town and having to dodge all the idiots coming at me in my lane while playing on their phones. Just yesterday I watch a guy on a big MC narrowly avoid a serious crash when some bimbo pulled right out in front of him. Good that he was paying attention and had shoulder room to swerve and miss her.
After viewing the video from BB park I can say for sure it is not a place I care to visit. I do get the adventure part of such a trip but there are way nicer places to go exploring IMO. We just went through a rather hot period here in the NY Catskills and the gauge hit 101 on Saturday. This was dreadful as far as I am concerned so I won't be going anywhere to find such heat. My adventures will stay way further north in the future and the desert does nothing for me.
Good luck with the sale of Ol Blue and we know you have cared for your bike as good as any of us. Building on the Jeep platform seems a bit more fitting and the creature comforts you have inside a cabin will suit you much better in all weather conditions. I would have a nice small tag along trailer hooked to the hitch so you could sleep where ever you stop and just enjoy the scenery along the way. Mel has already figured this out with his set up and I have been contemplating a similar set up. I just need to get my wife retired before it is too late for the both of us to enjoy.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Here I am getting set to retire next year. With some plans to do some more riding and you guys are folding out. Who the heck am I going to ride with?:eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I will be 80 in Oct. and I ride several times a week.....in consideration of my age....I take shorter and easier and slower rides....mostly on Forest roads and easy trails ….. my doctor(s) tell me it is good for my body and my mind......but mostly for my soul....don't do anything rash....I have been driving Jeeps in the boonies since I was 13.....still do..... and they are just ok....you can see my Jeep in the background...

I have found nothing more relaxing and exciting as riding a motorcycle ….it concentrates the mind and uses muscles that need to be used. If fact, I have more pain if I don't hike or ride...

The woods are lovely and dark and deep and I have miles to go before I sleep....Burma Shave !! 0038356-R1-24-0A.jpg

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I hope to be riding for a long time. Health, eye sight and balance are major when it comes to two wheels. Now with the Rekluse clutch and linked brakes at least you could still ride something if you had some other issues.
The most important thing is ride as long as you feel safe.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
I will be 80 in Oct. and I ride several times a week.....in consideration of my age....I take shorter and easier and slower rides....mostly on Forest roads and easy trails ….. my doctor(s) tell me it is good for my body and my mind......but mostly for my soul....don't do anything rash....I have been driving Jeeps in the boonies since I was 13.....still do..... and they are just ok....you can see my Jeep in the background...

I have found nothing more relaxing and exciting as riding a motorcycle ….it concentrates the mind and uses muscles that need to be used. If fact, I have more pain if I don't hike or ride...

The woods are lovely and dark and deep and I have miles to go before I sleep....Burma Shave !! View attachment 195582
That's my all time favorite car right there Bart. Either one will do 289 or 427 Shelby AC Cobra and even if it is a replica or kit car. A real original one in that condition is an easy quarter mill or more today.

GaryL

·
Registered
332 Posts
The decision is not final...but I am leaning towards selling the 2014 that I purchased in March 2014 new from Honda East outside of Toledo....

This decision, while not final, doesn't come easy, because I still imagine that I can ride it once again in Moab, Big Bend, and the reaches of Michigan's UP, and the Hills of West "By God" Virginia....however, at 70 years old, and well into that year....I also have other adventures that I want to complete, and the 2009 Jeep Wrangler that I purchased in January beckons as well....I could use both, but with the time I have left, I'm not sure that is feasible. While my Health is fairly good, D2 and a touch of Neuropathy not withstanding, the time may be at hand.

If I choose to sell, I plan on using any money to upgrade the Jeep and have it ready for Big Bend's trials and similar off road adventures...at this age I may, may I say, be better suited for 4 wheels, rather than 2....

The Asking Price?

Have not decided, but I will upgrade the battery, any new Rubber, currently the Stock Rear and the Michelin T63 Front, are probably in need of being replaced soon....but I will toss in the low miles "Death Wing" {500 miles} in as a "Gift";):D

Blue has just a shade over 7000 miles, uses Syn Oil and has a New {Less than 600 miles} Stock Chain...

If I sell, there are some upgrades I am sure the buyer would want to add....however, it has given me 5 years, especially the first 3 of great off and back road pleasure....and runs like a Champ...

Stay Tuned!

View attachment 195524 View attachment 195526
Hey Hoot,
Well Sir, I can sympathize with you all the way. I'm just shy of about 3 years behind you in age. My health is also fairly good and am still somewhat capable of good, clean fun. We just acquired an '07 TW and, I've been resurrecting it now for about 3-4 weeks. It's SERIOUSLY in better shape now, then when we bought it. But, we also have a '15 Jeep JKUR that we like to tote along behind our motorhome. So, I recently purchased a Versa Hauler from a friend with the intention of carrying the TW AND bringing along the Jeep. Well, after a bit of work, some slight adjustments, you'll see below the results. We're leaving on a trip this Thursday from here in Lake Havasu to Durango CO. We'll see how that goes. I dig that little bike. It's like riding an over grown mini bike.

In any case, I sure hope things maybe get better for ya. Having toys when traveling is the best of both worlds. I surely applaud you for taking it this far and enjoying life. Good luck.
Scott IMG_2875.JPG IMG_2876.JPG

·
Registered
13,320 Posts

The woods are lovely and dark and deep and I have miles to go before I sleep....Burma Shave !! View attachment 195582
I saw you ride in Moab. You ride at almost 80 better than I ever will. You ride very very well.

Hell Hoot, age is just a number. Keep and ride/drive both cause you're gonna die one day one way or another. Might as well have fun in the mean time! :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I understand that if you haven't grown up by the time you are 75, there is really no point to it...…

The first Jeep I had was a WWII war surplus ….you really could buy a jeep like it said in the magazines for $150....but it came in boxes and you had to put it together.....it was a great project for a 13 year old....when I wasn't busy. I was working on that jeep.

Now days with hardtops , automatics , power everything even air and a heater (that won't blow up) they are more like luxury cars than jeeps....

. 2014 jeep.jpg

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand that if you haven't grown up by the time you are 75, there is really no point to it...…

The first Jeep I had was a WWII war surplus ….you really could buy a jeep like it said in the magazines for $150....but it came in boxes and you had to put it together.....it was a great project for a 13 year old....when I wasn't busy. I was working on that jeep.

Now days with hardtops , automatics , power everything even air and a heater (that won't blow up) they are more like luxury cars than jeeps....

. View attachment 195596
The Price on some of these "Soccer Mom/Grocery Hauler" Jeeps is crazy....I insisted on just a couple of items...Hard Top{the last 2 were Rag Tops and despite some fun they were basically a pain to keep up}...Manual Tranny {6 Speed}, Good AC{Heat} and solid Radio...and 2 doors....otherwise this Red Boy was great, only 64,900 miles on it, at 10 years old, and clean …. no electronics, even the windows are hand crank....now I will begin to add the things I need for off road, while still be able to drive on the Highway without shaking and breaking any bones...:cool:

Ol' Blue is still in the garage and neither Montezuma or I have been out much this year....but That decision is still up in the air on selling:rolleyes::clock:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, they can really haul the groceries ...it is very convenient to open the back as opposed to opening the cloth top and that damn rear window …….as for hauling anyone in the back seat....they would have to be about 10 years old to get back there....

I sold/gave away my motorcycles a few years ago thinking I was to old to ride and then every beautiful day that came by, I knew I had made a mistake...…. now it is true that I live in the Cascade Mountains and can ride out of my garage.....if I lived in town just maybe I could have quit.....but the woods keep saying...…." pst….looking for a good time young man ??? "..... I never could pass up a good time...

So I had to go buy a couple more and it has been fun... Yamaha tw.png

1 - 14 of 14 Posts