TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey wise ones... Considering snagging a pair of these bags. What are your opinions?

36L to 58L with expansion zip-out.

I liked the design & the price. I already have a SHAD SH39 TopCase with a design that these compliment pretty well.

($47.50! You get what you pay for, I know...but if they work once, they've paid for themselves)

Don't need an enduro-tough, forever pannier set. (I ride mostly street).

Wanted something that would look decent if left on the bike & swallow up a reasonable amount of stuff.

For the TW, would these be a GO or a NO-GO, for your eye?

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Product Sports equipment

·
Registered
209 Posts
They look huge but the only person they need to satisfy is you. The cost makes trying them out a no-brainer but please provide a review.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They look huge but the only person they need to satisfy is you. The cost makes trying them out a no-brainer but please provide a review.
Yeah, that gives me a little pause. My TopCase is 39 liters, so I've got a good idea what that volume looks like on top of the rear rack. It's not outrageous.

These bags are a different shape than my topcase, if a little smaller volume, but I agree - looking @ the EBay photos with them on a big V-twin cruiser, they look "generous."

That said, they'd still have a smaller, sleeker more aero profile than the Happy Trails hard panniers + racks some 'Dubbers use, so, 2 x 6's vs. a dozen...

I'd be using these along with the Precision Racks steel side-racks, which I already have.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey wise ones... Considering snagging a pair of these bags. What are your opinions?

36L to 58L with expansion zip-out.

I liked the design & the price. I already have a SHAD SH39 TopCase with a design that these compliment pretty well.

($47.50! You get what you pay for, I know...but if they work once, they've paid for themselves)

Don't need an enduro-tough, forever pannier set. (I ride mostly street).

Wanted something that would look decent if left on the bike & swallow up a reasonable amount of stuff.

For the TW, would these be a GO or a NO-GO, for your eye?

View attachment 219003

I don't like zippers. With no exterior strap on these, if a zipper fails, it could be no bueno. I have a pair of Dry-Spec D20's (20 L ea). So far so, so good and that's with a 2000+ miles of off road including bushy, over-grown willow-infested tight trails. A clip that keeps the excess strappage from flopping in the wind did break recently, but other than that, I am happy. Kept all my stuff dry in heavy rain (roll top). I do love a deal, so... and to make up for the small size (20 L), I have a 75L Tusk bag that can sit on the rack / Rotopax mount. It has an air-valve, so you can smush it down. 75L is huge on a TW!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like zippers. With no exterior strap on these, if a zipper fails, it could be no bueno. I have a pair of Dry-Spec D20's (20 L ea). So far so, so good and that's with a 2000+ miles of off road including bushy, over-grown willow-infested tight trails. A clip that keeps the excess strappage from flopping in the wind did break recently, but other than that, I am happy. Kept all my stuff dry in heavy rain (roll top). I do love a deal, so... and to make up for the small size (20 L), I have a 75L Tusk bag that can sit on the rack / Rotopax mount. It has an air-valve, so you can smush it down. 75L is huge on a TW!
Thanks for the feedback - I found the same bag set on Amazon.com. Bunch of reviews. Several pre-2020 reviews showing seam failures/splits under purportedly light-medium use.

Several favorable post-2019 reviews, no reports of catastrophic failure, so maybe they improved the thread, materials, construction (???) - who knows.

I do agree dry bags/roll top like the Dry-Spec without zips, are more bullet proof. Fact is, if a zip or seam blows out, fully packed while on the road/trail, you’ve got a mess of a problem.

Thanks for the .02 cents!

Still lookin…

1 - 5 of 5 Posts