TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Montezuma and I collected our Lifetime Senior Park Pass last year when we joined Borneo, Jim, and Fort Wayne Harley Gary at Big Bend....a sweet deal at $10 to get you into any National Park for the rest of our lives for free....of course camping, etc, is extra, but this sweet deal is about to come crashing down...

Next Month the fee goes from $10 to $80.....so don't delay, this is a done deal::mad: You snooze, you lose!:abnormal:

Senior Pass.jpg

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
....a sweet deal at $10 to get you into any National Park for the rest of our lives for free....
A simple act of congress or maybe a stupid bureaucrats' decision and our life time passes -- yes I got mine -- will change to something like "its good for 3 more years" and we will be stuck paying the full price.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I was thinking that for ten bucks it might be worth buying a second card in case the first one is lost or stolen. I don't know why I am worried about that -- I haven't yet used the one I have now.

I think it's a good idea to have an extra one.
I bought a spare when I first heard the feds were going to raise the price.
Because if you do lose it, you'll have to buy another at full price, they won't replace it

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
Bummer only turning 59 this Aug.:(

·
Registered
562 Posts
It costs $30 for a 7 day pass for a National park like Yosemite, Yellowstone or Rocky Mountain National park. That's less than $4.50 a day.

You call that extortion? I call that a bargain.
Yes that is a bargain.

I feel it's the fact when the government finds its in need of more money to protect us from ourselves, they find the softest target and pull the funds from there. I'd be fine with paying more if I felt they were even somewhat efficient in using the money they draw from us now. There is so much waste and overspending that we fund and are powerless to do anything about. They really need to take an extra 70.00 from people that are out there trying to be healthy and lead a happy life in a time they have supported their fair share of taxes over the span of their working lives and now live on a limited income. I'm not even addressing the fact the people of the US already own these parks and yet have to pay an inflated price to enter and use them. I feel it's just another thing that shows us where the people are in the pecking order that makes this great country run. Will you complain the next time the fee goes up? At what amount will that be? 200.00? Because it's just that easy for them to set that fee. Screw them for making this raised rate. I'm not good with it. No amount of justification on their part will make me see their side.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! My GF is over the age limit so we'll have to get one. Last campground we were at had it posted that you get discount with senior park pass but didn't really know what that was. Thanks!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well they are a sneaky bunch, those law maker.....
As we travel and camp in a lot of National forest/park campgrounds we have increasingly had to pay way more than we use to for the same CG. Why? They have turned over management to Concessionaires.
Along with this some have turned over reservations to a 3rd party... So there is a fee to make reservations. Calif state parks have done the same thing.... We boondock when we can but sometimes we need to stay in a CG....

Jim

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Being extorted for something us taxpayers already own is BS.
Even though the old people cost is going up from $10 to $80 for life, if you use the National Parks it's still a bargain at $80. Sure, they could increase the fee again or put a time limit on it (i.e. $80 for 3 years rather than life) but for right now, $80 bucks still ain't that bad.

I too once thought, "Hey, we pay taxes so why don't we get in for free. They are our Public National Parks for criss sakes right".

Well, I did some research a few years ago why I have to pay a "User Fee" at what once was a "free" BLM Campground. After I did the research I now understand why the BLM, National Parks etc. charge entrance fee's, user fee's or whatever you want to call them.

I didn't like it but I now understand it. Here is a short excerpt from a site on how the National Parks are funded. How are National Parks Funded? (with pictures)

National parks in the United States (US) are funded in three main ways: direct funding by the government, user fees, and donations. Support from the government makes up the largest portion of funding.

The US national park system was established in March 1872 when Congress authorized the creation of Yosemite National Park in California.

In the early years of the operation of the NPS, fees charged to park visitors were not authorized by Congress. Reduced government spending in subsequent years was compensated for by allowing parks to collect small fees with a cap on the amount. More recently, Congress has raised this cap so that user fees now generate more than $1 billion USD annually.

Corporate and individual donations have become an increasingly important component of park funding.

The National Park Foundation works closely with the NPS to create opportunities to both generate money and interest in the parks. Each year, one week in April is designated as National Park Week.

Many national parks have a Friends of the Park organization that provides local support in a similar fashion to the Foundation. These organizations often provide information about the park that is designed to enhance visitor enjoyment. They also typically raise money through soliciting direct donations and by hosting special events. Many groups also operate retail stores that feature park memorabilia.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You're right Admiral, our park system is severely underfunded.
There are billions of dollars of deferred maintenance that needs to be done in our parks while our Federal Gov. is proposing even more cuts to the Interior Dept.

But back to this proposed increase of a senior pass from $10 to $80.

That $80 is going to get you a lifetime pass for you and up to 3 adults in your vehicle to any National Park and over 2,000 Federal recreation sites, with 100% of the proceeds being used to improve and enhance visitor recreation services

Compare that to the price for a one day pass to Disney World - $90, or a Major League Baseball game where the average cost for 2 adults is $77. .

Even at $80, the lifetime National Park senior pass is a bargain. At the current cost of $10, it is an absolute steal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It costs $30 for a 7 day pass for a National park like Yosemite, Yellowstone or Rocky Mountain National park. That's less than $4.50 a day.

You call that extortion? I call that a bargain.
Not everybody has 7 days. More like one or two. For kicks, ride your TW and you'll pay $25. A whole five bucks less than a dually diesel towing a 30 foot trailer, black smoke billowing the whole time. Yep, some get a bargain while others get shafted. :mad:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last March at Big Bend....Montezuma and I purchased the Senior Passes for $10. Then with that pass you get 50% off the rates for the campgrounds...so we paid a grand total of $7 a day for a great campsite, instead of the $14 per day.

Yes, I am as right leaning as it gets and I despise most government functions and bureaRats...but let's be serious....the National and State Parks are one of the few things the Government does a decent job of...if these places were private owned, do you really think they would be in the condition or as easy to access and enjoy as they are??? Just asking...the Federal Government F**ks up just about everything it touches...so I will give them kudos for something I think they do a decent job at....especially places like Big Bend where the visitor pressure is not so great, same for others, Everglades, etc....of course there are others that are flooded with tourists and regulations {Yellowstone, etc} but I avoid them like I do a Convention of Democrats, BLM or KKK rallies...:emmersed:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts