TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are over 62 yo and don't have a senior America the Beautiful pass go get one now. They are currently $10 for a lifetime pass and don't lose it. They won't replace it. Today when I went to the local National Forest office to get free stickers for our TW's they mentioned the cost of the senior pass was going up. The new price will be $80 for 4 years for seniors. These stickers go with the pass and allow you to park and enter for free in most National parks and Federal rec areas on the bikes. The pass (card) I keep in my truck. The current $10 card will be grandfathered in with no expiration.

Here is more info.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
When does the $10 expire?
I got mine 8 years ago, but wife should have one for when we need to enter with two vehicles.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
When does the $10 expire?
I could not find out. Apparently it's a secret. But A: I'm not going to lose mine if I can help it, and B: Everybody who qualifies better get in line! NOW!

It's the one of the best deals the federal government has ever given seniors.....It has completely changed the way I travel, since now I can ride through any NP, return to an NP for an hour anytime, or whatever floats my boat on that day. For instance, I love to ride my BMW up Hwy 9 through Zion and back whenever I'm down in St. George. I go to Death Valley every other year......etc. etc....camping is half price....woohoo! :encouragement:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure I think they said the end of April it could be earlier. I hadn't thought about getting two but after reviewing the regs we would both still need a pass each even with the stickers on the bikes at an attended entrance.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I could not find out. Apparently it's a secret. But A: I'm not going to lose mine if I can help it, and B: Everybody who qualifies better get in line! NOW!

It's the one of the best deals the federal government has ever given seniors.....It has completely changed the way I travel, since now I can ride through any NP, return to an NP for an hour anytime, or whatever floats my boat on that day. For instance, I love to ride my BMW up Hwy 9 through Zion and back whenever I'm down in St. George. I go to Death Valley every other year......etc. etc....camping is half price....woohoo! :encouragement:
Super good deal
Highway 9 through the tunnel about twice a year.
Lake Mead Recreational Area about once a month going to or coming from Arizona ranch

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
If you are disabled you can get one earlier than retirement age.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Upping the price on Senior Passes, like they were expecting to make a lot of money in the first place at $10. National Parks new plan is to lessen overcrowding. Fewer people will be willing to pay $80 for 4 years thus the number of people visiting the parks will go down. Lowering the number of visitors is what they want in order to reduce the traffic volume in the parks. Reference the recent articles about overcrowding at the NP's now. It's one of them thar situations of "we want you to come, please don't come". ...And all the while they'll be telling you how wonderful and beautiful the parks are so you should come see it. Ugh!

There is a disabled veteran's pass as well. Had the application and supporting paperwork all filled out just not sent it in yet. BillPacific mentioned this one last year. This passes criteria is subjective in that there is no clear cut qualification line. I'll let you know how this one works out.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I won't be 62 until early April. Hopefully this deal will still be around. Sounds great.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's a hell of a deal now, my sister works for the national parks service HQ in SFO, she called and said " you better get that pass NOW " they could change the permit cost any day. So 3 weeks ago I ran up to Sonora , paid my $10.oo, walked out with this...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Got mine today. All it took was a driver's license, $10, and less than 5 minutes.
Now I have to go to a park.
It's good for all in the car (or on a bike), just don't go with a minivan with 15 people inside.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Also supposedly still good for your spouse on a second motorcycle if presented by cardholder astride first motorcycle accompanied by spouse on second bike. I believe limited to four per car but no limit on passengers for a motorcycle is mentioned. Apparently the park service, while not familiar with this family when they wrote the rules, undoubtedly would tell them to keep their dog on a leash. article-0-127D8409000005DC-830_634x356.jpg

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Latest statistics show more than twice the number of Senior Lifetime Passes were issued than the standard $80 America the Beautifull Annual Pass. Way too many revenue enhancing fee adjustments are being proposed as the FLREA is up for renewal this year. Get the pass now before you have to wait until you are 70, or have to show US citizenship, or pay an annual renewal fee, or pay a reduced fee on day-only passes. Serious revenue enhancement proposals are in the wind, perhaps time to write your congressman to complain.
The Dept. of Interior gets its statistics from somewhat biased sources; like the posted surveys asking "Do you want more money spent on better Visitor Centers?" seen ONLY in visitor centers, never at trail heads where outdoorsy types would respond "NO! Spend more money on trails". I see a tapping of non-traditional demography as justification for catering to the fattening of America's lazy "can't I see it from the car?" visitors. Personally if we go to parks because we are fleeing a building rich environment why arrive to just go inside another building? Too see a video of what is just outside the visitor center?
FLREA Reauthorization - American Recreation Coalition

1 - 20 of 27 Posts