TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
It's an adventure!

Are you guys forgetting those little hand warmer things that work with Fe and sodium chloride ? I think they are called "Hot Hands" or the like. They are usually at the checkout at the sporting goods store or the gas station. I use the hippo hands with my regular summer gloves and a hot hands in each one. The hippo hands Evan have a inner pocket for the hand warmers. I'm just saying this set up is cheap and works great with very little in the way of mods or electrical changes. I would imagine the hippo hands with grip heaters would be just awesome !

Oh yeah by hippo hands I mean the big insulated "L" shaped thing the slide over the ends of the bars and get cinched down with Velcro just inboard of the levers. Then you slip your hand into a nice warm, wind proof area around the grip. Any heat produced by your hands, hot hands or heated grips is contained around your hands the grips and levers.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
yes I tried the hot hands is my gloves and my fingers still got cold, what my main goal is to were as thin a glove as possible and still have warm hands and fingers..I don't want to use the hippo hands if possible mainly because I trail ride a lot and need to use my hands quickly sometimes(brush). The heated grips were not all that expensive so I think I might get the best bang for the buck there.

I have some heated grips that I have not installed yet but wish I had taken the time. I have however put some of the little hot hands packets inside of my gloves about a half hour before I leave and let them warm up.
If i put them under my palm the blood circulating down to my fingers keeps the chill at bay for my 15-20 minute commute at darn cold temps. I do have cycra hand guards to block the wind and that is a help.

At the temps I am riding it would take some real testing and planning to keep warm over an extended period.

Well this is a first for me cause I have not done much long distance winter riding in my life, so it's been a learning experience to set me and my bike up, so far I have built shields on the front of my tw to deflect some of the wind and bought some new gloves and overalls...yea I still froze, so I ordered some grip warmers a baklava or whatever is called or spelled to keep my chin from freezing and a new helmet that I can shut the vents off. I think I will get some raingear also to help with the wind and see how that works. I was out yesterday and rode about 30 miles it was 35 degrees and froze my hands and chin,haven't got my stuff yet. I like riding my tw to much to let it sit all winter so I will keep trying to stay warm on the longer rides (thinking about spring is't helping) so far with my current stuff I can ride about 40 miles before it gets really uncomfortable below 40 degrees so hopefully my new stuff will get me further. View attachment 2294 the shields are all home made I had a shorter one before it wasn't quite high enough so this one is about 4 in higher and keeps most of the wind off my chin but not all. So if anybody has any good ideas let me know.
If you can afford it,go to Motoport / Cycleport. The gear is expensive,kinda-sorta,but it is top notch and warm.The jackets and pants are made of Kevlar (stretch material and or mesh,depending on how you want it made). They also have 1000 Denier nylon gear as well. Also, for the hands,you could try and find a nylon over mitten ( sometimes Army surplus stores have them and gun & knife shows).

Discussion starter · #28 ·
that stuff is a little to much $$ for me, so just trying to get the most for the money right now. with the shields, box, grip warmers I only have around 75$ and some hrs of work. I made all my own racks, shields,rear box mount, got the extra battery for free with the bike when I bought it...I have a lot of hobbies (and bikes) so trying to keep the costs down(and the wife happy) as much as possible.

Just put the heated grips. You wont be sorry you did. Just use your normal leather/whatever riding gloves you want to use. The thinner gloves absorb the heat very well. Its the best thing ive done to keep warm so far. I also have the tusk deflex handguards and they help cut the wind plus the tusk mitts which are a cheap short knock-off of the hippo hands for when its below 30 degree's. I wore heavy thick insulated gloves with the mitts and my hands still froze before getting the grips. Twisted throttle has the oxford grips below $75 shipped and they would be the easiest to install. I believe they have a pre-made harness that you just hook it up to your battery, mount your control box and put on the grips.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Got my heated grips installed last night,wow did not realize how warm they would get even on low, running duel batteries so will see how that works. Got a charity run saturday morning, the temp should be around 35 so they will get a good test.

Reactions: admiral
Discussion starter · #32 · (Edited)
I got to try out my grip warmers and they worked great, with the duel batteries they worked for 5 hrs with no problem, so I think they will run 8hrs or so, I got to wear thinner gloves also. I do not regret putting them on and now I am going to put them on the tl 250 also and my wifes ke, will need to run a aux batt on hers cause it's 6 volt. It was a pleasure to ride in the cold with warm hands. My new helmet and baklava thingy work great also. It was about 33 when I started out and got to 37 so I think it was a good test. I heard a lot of bikers complaining about there hands on the run I was not one of them this time.

I too have a problem with the cold. Even in the low 40's I get white finger real bad. I do have those handlbar mitts that go on and they do make a difference. Gloves are a problem for me as I can't find a decent pair that will fit. Seems the fingers are too tight and circulation is cut down. Anything with padding just makes it worse. Trying the heated grips might be the answer for me with lighter gloves. This has been a great post.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I am glad people are liking the post, I have learned some stuff and I hope some other people will take the plunge to ride more in the winter. I have put 400 miles on in the last month so I doing pretty good for me.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I like ******* stuff, last year my friend and I went camping with are bikes and it was real cold, are hands were freezing so I thought..hey I have some ziplock bags lets put those over are hands and see if that works, well I think it was better than nothing but we still froze are hands. We would stop every couple of miles and warm are hands on the bikes exhaust pipe. here are a couple of pics from that trip. Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Winter
Snow All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Winter Winter storm

Reactions: admiral
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.