TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of the people on here have been to Moab, and are familiar with the Shafer trail.
Coming down from Canyonlands Island in the Sky, to the Potash road.
There was an item in the local newspaper about a truck driver who tried to drive his semi truck and trailer down the Shafer trail.
If I knew how to post the pictures I would, but there are no kids around to help me so you'll have to look it up yourself if your interested.
Somehow they got it out of there this morning or maybe last night. I don't know what that trucker could have been thinking!

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
"BREAKING NEWS UPDATE - ISLAND IN THE SKY
All visitors to the Island in the Sky District of Canyonlands National Park need to avoid Shafer Trail as it descends toward Potash.

According to the National Park Service, the trail is currently closed due to a large semi truck trailer blocking the road. The park is working to clear the road and does not have an estimated time for when it will be cleared. We will update as soon as it is open.
ORIGINAL POST
The Island in the Sky visitor center is reporting that a trailer and tractor are stuck at separate locations on the switchbacks. All park guests with plans to use Shafer Trail should inquire at the visitor center before attempting to negotiate it.” -#Shafer

EDIT: No parking brakes on the front of the tractor make
it’s position tenuous at best. Both tractor and trailer block any reasonable access to begin a safe recovery. It will be interesting to see how the professionals solve this.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Just wait until this knucklehead gets the bill for this tow job! Funny someone mentions Google Maps. I just had friends come from Alabama direct to my home. Google maps got them almost here without a hitch until the very last 4 miles. I have a seasonal use dirt road 4 miles from home that is great for bikes and decent 4X4 vehicles but not for cars. Google sent them on that road just before they got here. I guess if it is an actual named road Google will send you the straightest or shortest way to your destination.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thank you Fred, for finding and posting the pictures, you can't fix stupid is right, and I'm too stupid to figure out how to do it.
Your inability to figure this crap out is certainly not Stupid. You said it from the get go, "No kids around to figure it out". I and many of us here just don't care to learn all this "New Math" crap on our computers. I learned way back when MS Windows first came out that if I want to remain up to speed I have to put up with all the changes that happen more often then I change my skivies. Just about the time I have my operating system figured out they go and jump from Windows to Mellenium, to windows 7, 8, 9 10 and I give up. I am sure I missed a few along that list. My young great nieces and nephews can breeze through my computer but they could never change a flat tire or fix a TW. Fortunately Bad Luck, we have members here who can and will walk us through.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Yeah, don't say that about yourself bro!! I barely know how to take a picture, let alone post one... :D
Thank you Fred, for finding and posting the pictures, you can't fix stupid is right, and I'm too stupid to figure out how to do it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife works at the Island in the sky visitor center, but the last few days she was off.
So yesterday was her first day back at work.
It turns out that the entrance booth was unmanned when this guy passed through. (she said that truckers gps units send them up there if they are trying to get to the potash plant. but if someone is in the booth they just send them back)

Nation's towing sent their best guys out, and they were able to turn the trailer around somehow, and hook onto it to pull it back up the hill.
They also had a wrecker pull the tractor back onto the road and up the hill again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts