TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an opinion..Our hunting group is made up of about 6 or 7 guys.There are two of us that are up there all week (about 8 or 9 days) and sometimes one other but the rest of the group show up a day or two later and only hunt 3 to 4 days or less.We are a water access camp so getting in and out is a chore loading and unloading all our stuff.My buddy Ian and I and another friend we moose hunt with set up several ladder stands and cameras trim shooting lanes bring in firewood ETC you get the picture, the other guys show up and arrive to a warm cottage with nothing to do but enjoy the hunt and then leave before the end of the hunt so we are left taking down the stands they hunted out of and cleaning up and closing the camp which takes a good 5 hrs. of hard work.After a few discussions between the all week hunters we decided that it was unfair to us to share the deer meat equally with the 3 day people when we did almost all the work.We will still share but not a full share.Now the problem the other guys heard this and that we were a little upset about the amount of work we put into it compared to them with them getting an equal share of the meat(neither of them has ever shot anything) and they are really upset.Are we being unreasonable? we have all been friends for a very long time but they have always showed up late and left early managing to avoid most of the work and expenses.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You are totally justified in having an issue with sharing your hard earned meat with those who don’t put in the time, labor or expense that you do. I’ve hunted my entire life and had this issue almost as long. This year I was in Montana for four weeks archery elk hunting by myself before my good friend showed up and hunted for 5 days. It’s a 12 hour drive from where we live and it was all the time he could get off work. I was trying for a large bull but after 34 days hunting I decided to shoot a smaller animal for meat. He had been complaining about not having any meat for a long time so I decided to share my elk with him. I was the one who shot it, cleaned it, skinned it, hauled it out and home and butchered it. He got half.
Some differences here with your situation. I was just sharing the meat with one person, not several. Another consideration is it was an elk. If you’re hunting with a group and you share your deer you might not have much left when you’re done. With my group of friends the usual practice is to keep your own meat. Those who are successful are usually the ones who put in the most time and work, and to reward those who don’t or won’t isn’t fair. This year I already had a two freezers full and I felt sorry for him.
The best thing is to discuss the plans for meat sharing or not well before the hunt starts. This way everyone knows the rules of the game and hopefully hurt feelings will have healed before the hunt begins. It will also inspire those who don’t put in the time to participate a little more. Remember, if you shot it, it’s your animal. If you decide to share some of it with the guy who helped you pack it out, and nobody else, it’s your choice.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Well said Gastone. Unfortunately there will always be givers and takers and the latter get pretty good at finding the former. Challenge is how to keep the meat while preserving the friendships

·
Registered
233 Posts
Some hunters are lucky. Some have to hunt hard and spend the time and effort to be successful. That’s me. With hunting, the more success you achieve the easier it gets because you learn what works and what doesn’t. You also get better at avoiding the mistakes that contribute to failure. You capitalize on the luck that comes your way. The bottom line though is you can’t always depend on luck and you have to be willing to put in the effort. Or find some friends who are very generous. I choose to rely on myself. Most of my friends would find difficulty finding the meat dept at Safeway.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.I was beating myself up a bit over this.The one guy was pissed that we had sausage made too and said it was a waste of his time and money so he will not be hunting with us anymore.I shot both deer!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Thanks for the replies.I was beating myself up a bit over this.The one guy was pissed that we had sausage made too and said it was a waste of his time and money so he will not be hunting with us anymore.I shot both deer!
I will gladly take his place! When does the season open next year?

Tom

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Maybe he should just cruise the roads looking for roadkill instead of wasting his time and money waiting for you to give him a catered camp and free meat.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Some hunters are lucky. Some have to hunt hard and spend the time and effort to be successful. That’s me. With hunting, the more success you achieve the easier it gets because you learn what works and what doesn’t. You also get better at avoiding the mistakes that contribute to failure. You capitalize on the luck that comes your way. The bottom line though is you can’t always depend on luck and you have to be willing to put in the effort. Or find some friends who are very generous. I choose to rely on myself. Most of my friends would find difficulty finding the meat dept at Safeway.
Hay I get what your saying, I have been bow hunting since 1974 and understand the work that it takes.
I have a friend that wants me to make him pound of jerky out of a elk I bagged. He has no idea what it takes to do what you and I do.

i think many people believe that meat comes from a cooler in the store.

ronnydog

·
Registered
442 Posts
Dang, I was hoping this was a thread about free jerky!

I didn't get a deer this year, and the last bit of last year's venison was a bag of jerky, that I took with me on my first hunt this year....

Anyhow, here's my perspective:

I hunt with a friend who loves to hunt, but he's asthmatic, and can't walk very far (seriously, I had to save his life last duck season, but that's another story in itself).

So, pretty much all of our deer hunting is road hunting, which is kind of a drag, but we still have a ton of fun!

HOWEVER, we always take my truck, I always bring lunch, and water, and chew (disgusting habit, I know), and everything else we need for a day in the woods....

It's a little frustrating that I always have to be the "guide," but I have fun hunting with my friend, so I suck it up.

I got a deer last year, for the first time in many years. I also got a speeding ticket on the way home... for the first time in many years!. ;)

My friend helped me skin the deer, and he wrapped the meat as I butchered it.

I gave him a bunch of the wrapped packages (un-marked), and I know he would do the same for me.

Ironically, he ended up with the tenderloins, which his wife threw in to a crock-pot stew... AARRGH!

I guess my point is, if the fun you have hunting with your friends outweighs your frustrations of their shortcomings, then just let it go.

If not, then stop inviting them.

As you can see by the previous (and most likely, following) responses, there are plenty of folks who would be happy join in, and pull their weight.

Good luck! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
This is a question that never came up in my group of hunting buddys. I have not hunted for the last 11 seasons since my hunting partner went to the fiddlers green. We had a great time hunting. We shared all the work that goes into a hunt. Some times I would drive, some times he would. Different areas of the country call for different methods. A zone in California starts on the second Saturday of August. Yes August. The temperatures are brutally hot. The deer hold tight. You usually have to flush them out of heavy cover. We would take turns dogging and setting. Once a buck was down, all work shared. Field dressing, packing out, skinning etc. However, the meat belonged to the shooter, no question. It didn't matter because the next hunt, he who filled his tag became the dog until the other one got his buck. I do miss hunting an awful lot, but I miss Fizzy even more.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
The guy who buys the tag and bags the animal gets to do what ever the hell he wants to with the meat. The club I was in was issued a tag for camp meat and that was the meat shared either while at camp or to take home after the season. I had hunting buddies that I helped after a kill and they would help me, we shared our meet between just us but certainly not with other members who never lifted a finger. What you describe is the problems I have seen with Hunting Camps that have a bunch of hit and run members. Never show up on work days, have to chase them down for their dues payment, always shoot anything that moves and always look like they just walked out of Cabela's with all the latest and greatest gear and guns. Gotta love those dorks with new guns, new scopes and at around 10 AM on opening day they decide to sight the gun in. My old club made a new rule which caused me to quit the club. The Gun Only members complained that all the big bucks were being shot in the bow season so they ruled No Bow Hunting until the late season after gun season ended. Most of the members came up from NYC and instead of hunting they actually just wanted to blast around on their ATV and get drunk at the camp with the guys every night. I labeled the club "The Mahogany Ridge Hunting Club" because the bar was an old Mahogany bar that came from a defunct pub one of the original members donated. My deer rifle gets fired twice every year for sure about two weeks before the season just to make sure it is sighted in like the previous year. After many years in the club I rarely ever shot another deer simply because I wanted to always better my best big buck and let most of them walk right by. If meat is what I was after then that is what Doe Permits are for.
Keep your meat Sarge but I will admit Moose and Elk are some of the very best tasting game meats I have ever eaten and Antelope tops the list followed pretty close by Caribou.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I once got invited to go deer hunting with my neighbors camp. I was in my early 20s. It was a hunting camp on public property in Utah. Probably 40 years ago . My neighbor wanted me to bring my van to haul out the deer. We barely got it into the camp up one steep hill. On the way in I saw a huge buck with a harem going up on a Hillside across the canyon. Being from San Diego I’d never seen so many deer hanging out . One of the first things I noticed when we got to camp was a huge pile of rusty cans left from previous trips. Having grown up as a Boy Scout I was used to leaving to clean camp. My neighbor loaned me a 30 odd six that was already sited in. I didn’t owner of large caliber rifle but had experience with 22’s . My previous hunting experience was mainly bird hunting with a shotgun . I got most of my hunting Ethics from my friends dad and from Field & Stream magazine or Outdoorlife. They’re were a few sketchy hunters in this group like some of you describe . On opening day one guy took a shot at a fawn and ended up shooting it in the leg and couldn’t find it . Neighbor ended up finding it and killed it and he took it as his deer. On opening day my neighbor and I walked about a quarter-mile from camp and he positioned me behind some rocks in the middle of this. On opening day my neighbor and I walked about a quarter-mile from camp and he positioned me behind some rocks in the middle of this valley. Just after dawn a dear came running down the hill and a guy to the right of me took a shot at it but missed . After 20 minutes it popped up about 40 yards from me and I took it. So about 1 hour into my first deer hunt I filled my tag with a very nice fork horn. The tag was good for one for fork horn or better no does. My neighbor and I cleaned the deer, he showed me how to do it , and we took it back to Camp and hung it up . I think our trip was for 3 to 4 days and I was done hunting. Now some of these hunters weren’t very good so the others who were would sometime shoot more than their tag to make up for it . This was so everyone could fill their tags . To me this was unethical. Hunting and fishing is hit or mess. If you fill your tag why not go help the hunters that aren’t very good fill theirs . If I hadn’t shot my deer on the first day some other Hunter in our group may have shot two which would’ve counted on my tag. Some guys in our group didn’t shoot any deer but some guys shot more than their tag . I would’ve been pissed if I would’ve had to count someone else’s deer on my tag . I ended up sharing my deer with my neighbor as he paid for most of the expenses for the trip . I’m not sure this kind of tag Sharing applies to the original posters post . But it seems like if you really are friends why not help the power hunter become better hunters. Is the main purpose just filling your freezer and proving your skills or is it enjoying the outdoors and the friendships . As for you doing all the work and them reaping the rewards I’ve been in that position but I made that choice and so have you . Sometimes the rewards are the friends that wouldn’t be there are there ,because of your efforts. I’m not sure any of this applies to the original poster’s post but it’s just my view point not meant to offend .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bottom line is, if you choose to share your game meat with one hunting partner of a group of 30, it’s your choice. You also have the choice to give varying amounts based on who they are, and their participation level.
Several years ago I harvested a large bull elk almost a mile off the road in Idaho. I was archery hunting and in an area with few other hunters. When I hiked out to get my meat pack and other gear I met a young man who offered to help me pack it out, no strings attached. He helped me skin and quarter it and then pack all the meat out. It was a lot of work and we finished around 2am. I’d never met him before or seen him since, but I left him with almost half an elk and a big smile when I drove off the next day. He saved me hours of hard work and miles of packing a heavy load.
I prefer to share my game meat with people who hunt as hard as I do and are willing to bust their ass to help you when you need it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
As a kid, it was pretty common to miss school on the first day of a season. Many a syllabus left room for hunting days. It was also very common to share your jerky at school, didn't much matter with who. We just liked to share and compare. I'm sure you could spin that as entitled kids who didn't know the work necessary, but the fact is we did.

Not really related but I remember my dad having to check in one of my uncle's 8 pointers as he accidentally shot a third while tracking his second. Took until dark to track them all down and get them off the mountain. Those were the days. Not really that long ago, as I'm not even 30 yet. I remember dad made a laser sight for his bow out of a keychain laser and a piece of pipe. Was decent enough to leave one hole in a buck with two broadheads from about 15 yards out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The deal I have with my brother in law and my sister is... If one doesn't put in the work, (scouting, packing in and out, hunting, quartering, cleaning. etc. etc., one cannot expect to share in the bounty. And when one does put in the work, the amount of harvest one receives is still up to the tag holder. Be thankful for what is shared and enjoy the time out in the country.
And if one doesn't put any work in, enjoy the checkout line at Albertson's.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Whether I've helped put in the work to setup/tear down camp, post hunt butchering or show up with it all done, if I haven't harvested something myself I do not expect any meat from anyone else. It's up to those who did to offer or not. If there is no offer and I came up empty, I don't get offended.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Roger that. If you don't have a tag of your own, the thrill of the hunt and time in nature is its own reward. Be happy you were even invited along.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts