TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

She got back on

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  TWROG 
#1 ·
Some of you know and Ill go over it briefly if not, I got a couple of TWs so my girlfriend and I could do a little adventure riding. Well 10 minutes after getting on hers for the first time she fell over in my yard at a speed of 3 to 5 MPH. That fall in soft dirt gave her a tibial plateau fracture. That was over 3 months ago, a couple weeks ago the Doc gave her the go ahead to start putting weight on it. For the most part she still uses one crutch but she does take short walks (20 feet from bedroom to bathroom) without a crutch. Her knee doesnt hurt, its the muscles in her leg that havent been used in 3 months that get real sore.

Anyway, it was another beautiful day Saturday morning and she says..........."LETS RIDE" :) "I need some wind in my face" :) So I break out the sporty and we practice getting on and off. Her left leg is the bad one so she had to get on and off the right side, something neither one of us was used to. She grabs on to me A LOT more than she used to and does a lot more leaning than she used to so I just spread my legs out a little further and braced myself a little harder........................we can do this :)

Gathered a few things, threw them in the backpack and off we went. Decided to take the backroads to a hotel around Macon that has a bar in the hotel (we dont drink and drive :) ). We both have this nasty habit of smoking, besides, I needed to check to see how she was doing so 45 min later I pull over. 2 thumbs up :)

Next stop in Juliet at the whistle stop cafe (from the Fried Green Tomatoes movie)

It was only about 100 miles but she was smiles the whole way. After settling in at the hotel we made our way to the bar. We had a long discussion on her plan to get back on her own bike. Oh yeah...............we had WAY to much to drink, enough that we participated in about 1/2 dozen karaoke songs.......even some duets. I took a video of her singing but am forbidden to share it haha.

Sorry this had nothing to do with TWs :)

See less See more
#3 ·
What do you mean this has nothing to do with TWs? She is healing from a minor crash that happened on a TW and we are all happy to see she is on her feet, doing well and ready to ride on any bike let alone her own TW.

Great story and nice pics so just go have some fun and keep us posted on her recovery.

GaryL

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
Yeah its loud but Im not obnoxious about it. Never blip the throttle and accelerate like a normal human :) They were too loud to start, I put some mini baffles in them to mellow it out some...........still loud though.

Reactions: TWilight
#11 ·
Not yet.........though she wants to. Her leg still cant support very much weight. I do have a new front tire coming as well as a V Star rear shock. The lower stance will hopefully give her even more confidence.

how did you get those big freakin tires on that bike?????:eek:
Good thing about sportsters is you can do anything you can think of to them and dont need to have fab skills, just buy it off the shelf.

Glad to hear she's doing well and wanted to get out on your bike.

I grew up in the juliette area and still go there often. There are some good TW, dirt and gravel roads in that area but they are best ridden in the Fall to Spring months, it's just too hot out there in the summer too gear up, it's like a rainforest without the rain, just the humidity and no wind.

Where did y'all stay in Macon? We may have small group doing a Pine Mountain run on the 13th, not sure yet, it just came up Saturday.

Anyway, I'm happy she is riding again and hopefully back on the TW soon but, not too soon.

We stayed at the Ramada off Eisenhower and 475. They have a bar at the hotel you can smoke in..........a lot of old people seem to be there :) Shes from around Butler (west of Macon), we met online and we both would drive to Macon for our dates. After several dates (I wont say how many) there arose a need for a hotel stay :) We still go a couple times a year taking different back roads on the bikes to get there.

Pine Mountain is one of the first "bike dates" we had. Are you taking the TW up there?

Reactions: tcepilot
#10 ·
Glad to hear she's doing well and wanted to get out on your bike.

I grew up in the juliette area and still go there often. There are some good TW, dirt and gravel roads in that area but they are best ridden in the Fall to Spring months, it's just too hot out there in the summer too gear up, it's like a rainforest without the rain, just the humidity and no wind.

Where did y'all stay in Macon? We may have small group doing a Pine Mountain run on the 13th, not sure yet, it just came up Saturday.

Anyway, I'm happy she is riding again and hopefully back on the TW soon but, not too soon.

#14 ·
The spot looks familiar, but I don't know much of that side of the state, east of U.S. 41 is more of what I know. I do give a big thumbs up to, Barrows in the back of the NAPA store, especially if you stay at any hotel off 475 in Macon. I can give you some much better (safer) ideas of places to stay and, if you like camping we have little place on the river.

The Pine Mtn. ride will be cruiser type. Last trip was 225mi. NO way I could do that on the TW. Bad enough on the sportster. I broke my tail bone almost 25 years ago in 2 places, so any long ride in or on anything becomes uncomfortable quick.

Pine Mtn. aside, we're close enough to meet up for some sort of ride. My main fellow rider has a good friend in Jackson and that could be a good mid point to meet up. Leslie, my wife usually only has thu. and sun. off and feels left out sometimes, but what can I say.

The TW riding around juliette is good, and if you don't mind bypassing a few gates we all paid for, can be real good.

Anyway, lets just ride, you let me know when and what and I'll say yay or nay and vice versa.

Kennon

#17 ·
Its smaller than it looks in the pic. Parking lot could hold 10 cars maybe if they all cooperated (gravel, no lines). It was closed when we got there so we didnt eat. My girlfriend had been there before and ate. She is a connoisseur of fried green tomatoes and says they were pretty good.

#21 ·
I don't pay much attention too the weather forecast until a day or two out these days, and still they can't get it right.

I talked to my wife about a few possibilities for that weekend, this will be her first 2 days in a row off in the last 6 months and she want to go to my step mom's place at Sinclair. Guess I should have thought too ask her first. Rides can happen most anytime, long weekends not so much.

This one fell through but, there will be more. I'll keep in touch and if you head south let us know

Kennon

#22 ·
Yeah my girlfriend is with her sister (Elvis freak) this week at Graceland :) Getting back tomorrow (Fri) so probably wouldnt want to go and probably wouldnt want me to leave her :)

I did notice on our trip down to Juliet a couple trails, one was a powerline trail. Definitely going to have you show me some trails for the TW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.