·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: dette and LuvNot

·
Registered
928 Posts
Great article. I can definitely agree with the lack of proper gear suitable for women. And the color coded crap!!! Aurgh! I know there are plenty of ladies out there that love pink, but personally I'm sick of it. I know I'm a girl. I don't need to broadcast it to the world by wearing color coded clothes. No one likes to admit it, but sometimes it's just NOT SAFE!!! Anyway...

Thanks for the great article LittleTommy! You always find the coolest stuff to share with us. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...we all know one gal around here who loves Pink and she looks pretty cute in it along with her matching bike... (I didn't give it away did I?) :D

I'm glad you enjoyed the article Luv, I really have a lot of respect for you and you are darned talented!! I always look to see your posts and read what you've done...it's something new to look forward too almost every day!! With that Welder/Fitter background, you could do anything. And, you're sure not afraid of hard work!! You are indeed, one very talented, tough Chick my dear. :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
You're a great guy LT! (((HUGS)))

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're a great guy LT! (((HUGS)))
Thanks Luv, I try.

By the way my dear friend, I don't just hand out the compliments, believe me. It takes a lot to impress me and not many people do. You're one of them... :applause:

Reactions: LuvNot

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I've seen Killboys pictures of the Wolf. I'll bet He has some nice taper on his mufflers! Also I've been on the Dragon with three different bikes with the Dub being the most fun. That said give me the Cherohala Skyway instead.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My favorite female rider, not setting any speed records on the Dragon... as photographed by Killboy:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I don't know where I heard it, but its probably true: "The best Hi-Viz is a pink helmet and a ponytail"

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've ridden the DT on my bagger (Kawasaki 1600 Nomad), and on my scooter (GSC Blur 220). Both were fun, but the Nomad didn't have the ground clearance to corner quickly. The Blur, however, was a hoot! It's built like a sports bike with crazy leaning capabilities and the power to keep up the the larger crotch-rockets. I had fun keeping up with a sports bike on one run and when we reached the top, the look on the guy's face said it all... THAT was trailing ME? :D

That being said, I do agree with Xracer, though. The Cherohala Skyway was breath taking in places and a joy to cruise.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'm a lucky guy. my wife has been riding since 1976. We have been in 44 states and rode the dubs in at least 38 of them.. We rode the dragon. "Nothing special." We liked riding other places so much more.. Moonshiner 28,the south rim of the grand canyon,crater lake, the road to the sun,route 66,south dakota's badlands,stowe Vermont,the redwoods.... That's not all the places we have ridden,but those where more fun than the dragon........ Crossed the mighty Mac bridge, etc......If you're lucky to hook up with a lady that rides-------------------------pause-------------- "ENJOY" it .......OMM.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hey, Tu-Tu's are legit safety gear, dude! Do you know how much cushion that much frufru provides? And if anyone is crazy enough to wear one while riding, ya probably don't wanna mess with 'em anyway. :D

I don't know where I heard it, but its probably true: "The best Hi-Viz is a pink helmet and a ponytail"

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hey, Tu-Tu's are legit safety gear, dude! Do you know how much cushion that much frufru provides? And if anyone is crazy enough to wear one while riding, ya probably don't wanna mess with 'em anyway. :D
That biker is safe as everyone has an eye on it. It is the colatoral damage from gawkers not looking where they are driving is the issue lol.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well...to stick to the theme of this board...a TW would be the ideal rite-of-passage for a female rider.

No, I'm not putting it down...I just marvel at the versatility and appeal of the machine. I've had a number of small bikes. I FAVOR small bikes - I don't need a 900-pound Hardley-Drivable to prove my manhood and give me a hernia once I drop it, duck-walking it out of a parking space. But...the reality is, small bikes were for small people. Big bikes were for big people.

I never had an "enduro" before the TW; but by god and by gum, it fit me. And it WAS in fact entertaining. ONLY limitation was the top speed.

I recall my domestic situation, 1986. My lady-companion of the time, having done her time on the back of my SR 500 (cramped fit!) was curious. We were shopping an RD 250 and an SR 250...both past-year models, new, at the local motorcycle nursery-store.

I left on my Grand Adventure. She made some phone calls.

A day later, the police did, too - I'd wiped out.

That was the end of her entertaining the idea of becoming a motorcyclist. And as it turned out, it put me on a 22-year hiatus.

BUT...had things gone different...and had she waited a year...I could just imagine a TW, a first-year model, finding room in my carport. Fits me; would have fit her (she had long legs, for her height; and I have short ones for my own height - we shared the same size inseam).

·
Registered
546 Posts
Here is my take on a few Pros and Cons of being a Woman Rider:

I started riding at age 4 so I had no idea most riders are male. Since my sister also rode, as well as my cousins, we had no reason to believe only boys rode. It wasn't until I was 16 and started riding on the street that I got a lot of comments about riding.
I did give it up for 28 years which is probably more common for a woman to do while raising a family than a man. I didn't miss it, my focus was different during that time and, I always believed my husband and I would eventually get road bikes to tour the country when we retired. That didn't work out quite as I had planned but I don't think I could have ever talked him into riding anyway so getting a divorce may have actually worked out for the best in the long run.
I started back to riding in 2010 and knew what kind of bike I wanted but I hadn't followed what types and sizes of motorcycles were available in this day and age. I was shocked at how big and heavy the bikes had gotten, there seemed to be a real gap in the 400 - 600cc Standard range. A con about being a woman is that every male seems to think I can't pick out my own motorcycle. You would not believe how many guys kept telling me to buy a Harley. I would tell them I wanted a Standard and the cc range I wanted and they would encourage me to get a larger bike and always a cruiser rather than the Standard that I wanted. This happens to a lot of Women, if they don't know any better, they get advised to buy a motorcycle that is too big and heavy. They never learn the skills they really need to learn. Women are much more comfortable starting small and learning then stepping up as their comfort level increases because they don't have to prove themselves as big tough guys. Not being afraid to learn on a smaller bike is a Pro in my book. Getting talked into a bike that is too powerful, heavy and large is a Con. I researched and searched and finally decided on the Bonneville even though it was a larger displacement than I thought I needed. Back in my day, the 750cc was a large bike.
After having the Bonneville for a few years, I was missing riding Enduros and almost bought a vintage 360cc but after kick starting it, I decided I didn't need to work that hard anymore; that's when I found the TW.
With more and more women riding, new women riders have an advantage...they can read, and talk with many other women riders; that's becoming more of a Pro with every passing year.
I am more than happy to discuss riding with new women riders and I always encourage them to start with small displacement bikes.
Another Pro of being a woman rider is we get more help with working on our motorcycles...probably because we aren't afraid to ask for help.
As for gear, there is more and more becoming available.....I don't go for the pink stuff, but do like reflective and hi-vis.

I could go on and on but I have to get going..... cheers to all riders!!!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
dette-

You my dear, are a true "motorcycle enthusiast" and that's the highest compliment I can pay a fellow rider.
No "patronage" here...you also have your head on very straight. Wish more of us did.
Beware anyone who tries to tell you that you "simply must" ride a certain motorcycle, be it HD, TW, or whatever. I've had over 40 bikes, over 20 marques. I loved - and learned from - them all!
Not that I'm "all that" but I would be proud to ride with you anytime.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts