TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an older TW200, 1997 with both electric and kick start. Went down on the gear shifter fork and I have developed a small leak.
How much surgery is it to get to the seal? I would like to do it myself.
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

To get to the shifter shaft seal you will need to remove the gear shift lever and the left (stator) side cover. This can be done without draining the oil by laying the bike over on its right side. Be careful about leaking gas and/or battery acid if you do it this way.

Note how the wires from the side cover are routed and be careful not to pinch these wires when re-installing the side cover. You may also want to get a new gasket since you are likely to tear yours removing the side cover.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
For the side cover you can use the OEM gasket 3AW-15451-03-00 or from Athena S410485017041.
I prefer the Athena gasket, much more cheaper and same quality.

The part number for the oil seal is 93102-12106-00 (old number) or 93102-12321-00 (new number).
But you can also find a fitting oil seal in a well sorted hardware store (or industry parts store).
Here are the measurements: 12 x 22 x 5 mm (inner dia x outer dia. x hight)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
This is pretty easy and cheap to fix as above PROVIDED that you have not bent the shifter shaft. If it IS bent, any new seal will start leaking again soon. Pretty hard to do but not impossible. Once the case is off, put the lever back on while inspecting with a magnifying glass, you should be able to notice the shaft moving the seal around a little if it is bent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is pretty easy and cheap to fix as above PROVIDED that you have not bent the shifter shaft. If it IS bent, any new seal will start leaking again soon. Pretty hard to do but not impossible. Once the case is off, put the lever back on while inspecting with a magnifying glass, you should be able to notice the shaft moving the seal around a little if it is bent.
Thanks all for the great info and support.
Does the cover gasket go on dry or is there a recommended sealant?
Is there a preferred parts supplier in the states that will ship parts?
Athena seems to be European based.

·
Super Moderator
17,626 Posts
Here is one place. Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle#
Some folks put sealant, some not. I use a little motor oil on the case side. So far, it's been off 3 times since and is still good with no tears or leaks. You can find the gasket cheaper elsewhere but these folks are pretty dependable.

Warning: you may see other items you will want right away!!! ;) Needed or not.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Like macbig2k1, normally I do not use sealant either but have used the smallest dab of oil to help hold the gasket in place when putting the side cover back on. I did use a little RTV sealant when I put my side cover on a different engine. I was instructed to put it on extremely thin. This worked also, but again, this was mainly used to hold the gasket in place not to seal for oil leaks. (Thanks, evan & Fred).

·
Registered
160 Posts
This just happened to me. rode the tw to work yesterday, came into the garage this morning and notice some oil on the skidplate right below the the shifter. Time to order up a new seal and gasket!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts