TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know at what RPM to up/down shift. Yes eventually it becomes instinctive but I am a long way from being there.

OFG

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Kind of hard to know without a tach but I tend to upshift towards the top of the rev range. I don't wind it to the stop but I want to make sure it won't fall on its face either. I don't do high rev downshifts however. I phase my downshift to road speed so I'm not locking up the rear wheel but being in the right gear if I have to power out of something.
Best thing I can tell you is get more saddle time in a parking lot or field.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of hard to know without a tach but I tend to upshift towards the top of the rev range. I don't wind it to the stop but I want to make sure it won't fall on its face either. I don't do high rev downshifts however. I phase my downshift to road speed so I'm not locking up the rear wheel but being in the right gear if I have to power out of something.
Best thing I can tell you is get more saddle time in a parking lot or field.
Planning on adding a tach/hour meter. And yes more saddle time best solution.

OFG

·
Super Moderator
15,170 Posts
Would like to know at what RPM to up/down shift. Yes eventually it becomes instinctive but I am a long way from being there.

OFG
Wish we could tell you. If we have a tach and you don't (yet), you won't know without one. If you get a tach but we don't have a tach, we won't know without one. Haha Catch 22 :)
When I had a digital tach (working) there was a slight delay in the readout and I suspect it would flash the rpm so quickly I wouldn't know what it really was.
I know there were shift points in the owner's manual shown in miles per hour (or kph if in one of those lands) but the rpm's seem so early when upshifting (low rpm's) and never even paid attention to the speeds listed in the OM when downshifting.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Often times the owners manual will tell you at what speeds to upshift.
And they sometimes just have a downshift around 12 mph (for all gears).
Guess they figure no one downshifts unless they are coming to a stop.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If I'm just riding around I probably shift around 5,000

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
It is best not to downshift into 1st. Wait until your stopped or doing 5 mph or under if you do. The back tire slides easy if you downshift into 1st gear.

·
Super Moderator
20,704 Posts
Approximately 10pm, 20mph, 30mph, 40mph. I don’t start in first so for me it’s 20, 30, 40.
A little more wear and tear on the clutch don't you think? At my weight my TW wouldn't have appreciated it.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I use first for getting me rolling unless it is down my driveway, then I'll start in 2nd.

·
Super Moderator
20,704 Posts
Possibly but if you ain’t flogging it you’ll never get up to speed with 16hp. I think I get more clutch wear and tear at slower speeds when I need to slip the clutch on the trails.
Betcha I could have beat you off the line using 1st. ;)

Reactions: slow

·
Super Moderator
20,704 Posts
Probably but a second later and I’m in 3rd and looking for you in my mirrors. :D
You wish!! ha ha ha You can't beat an 87. They have been proven to be faster than any other year... just sayin...

And the checkered flag goes to littletommy!!! Minemapper takes second place, Plumbstraight takes third... Vroom Vroom Vroom they all go by and here comes Loghousenut in last place...

Great race folks!! Get your tickets for next week's race before they sell out. You can pick them up on the way out...
Great race littletommy and congratulations...again!!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2012 TW200
77 Posts
You wish!! ha ha ha You can't beat an 87. They have been proven to be faster than any other year... just sayin...

And the checkered flag goes to littletommy!!! Minemapper takes second place, Plumbstraight takes third... Vroom Vroom Vroom they all go by and here comes Loghousenut in last place...

Great race folks!! Get your tickets for next week's race before they sell out. You can pick them up on the way out...
Great race littletommy and congratulations...again!!! :ROFLMAO:
All hail littletommy, the rest of us need to practice our starts more and we need to bring our balls with us next time! No offense ladies.

·
Super Moderator
20,704 Posts
All hail littletommy, the rest of us need to practice our starts more and we need to bring our balls with us next time! No offense ladies.
You know I'm only teasing you bro, right?

Reactions: minemapper

·
Registered
2021 TW200
14 Posts
I shift out of first once I hit about a running speed, probably like 10 mph or so. Then from 2nd to 3rd at about 20ish, 3rd to 4th before I hit 40, then 4th I'll hang out in if I'm just going 40-45mph otherwise I throw it into 5th. When slowing down I down shift to 4th as I'm braking (using engine braking in addition to front + rear) then again to 3rd. For 2nd and 1st I just hold the clutch in while I'm braking.

I think this was just me getting used to the bike, but I find that now I let it rev a bit higher before shifting than I did when I first got the bike.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha TW200
70 Posts
The manual says 5th gear by 26mph; I’m in 5th by 30mph for easy riding around town. Don’t know about the other gears since you’re only in them for a moment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts