TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I had a slight oil leak at the shift shaft seal when I bought my TW, so I replaced the seal. It slowed down the leak, but didn't stop it. I think the PO might have buggered up the cavity that the seal goes into. Do you suppose that I could install a new seal with a small amount of liquid gasket material in the cavity to help ensure a proper seal?

·
Registered
479 Posts
When I bought Tommy's bike, he had just replaced the shifter seal. It didn't stop the leak, so he sent a new seal along with the bike. I replaced the seal again, and it still leaked.

Well, upon closer examination, the shift shaft seal wasn't leaking... that's just the lowest point of the case when the bike is on the side stand, so virtually any leak will drip off right there.

Mine turned out to be the outboard bearing seal on the counter shaft. I had to remove the side cover to access it, but once I replaced it, there wasn't another drip!

Good luck with yours... little leaks can be annoying! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks CJ7Pilot. I never considered that. I guess I might have to clean things up well and spray some powder to verify source of leak.... How, exactly, did you determine the source of your leak?

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts
The two oil seals on either end of the front sprocket shaft are well known for leaking, and given the forces involved, it’s not surprising. As they are only a few bucks each, it’s good practice to change them along with the front sprocket.

When you are putting on the left hand outer crankcase, make sure you don’t trap the wiring from the stator – another well-known thing to happen, as the magnets pull the thing all over the place ….

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow, thanks CJ7Pilot. I never considered that. I guess I might have to clean things up well and spray some powder to verify source of leak.... How, exactly, did you determine the source of your leak?
I wiped everything clean, and let it sit over night. In the morning, I laid on the ground with a flashlight, and looked for the source of the leak.

As I recall, the leak source was pretty evident.

If this is the case for you, consider replacing your front sprocket, if it is worn. Maybe consider a different tooth count as well, depending upon your needs.

There's lots of sprocket info on this forum (I like 15t front, 50t rear).

You might as well kill two birds with one stone! :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
There's a thread here for sprocket replacement I think that mentions a very good practice, well two really. Put your sprocket cover bolts in a piece of cardboard, possibly using a gasket outline, to keep up with which is which. I've gotten to where I can tell which is which but it's good to do. Also, use a zip tie from the cover to the frame to keep your stator wires from getting frayed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts