TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you folks shift the TW without the clutch at times? Im not talking all the time, like when slowing down and hit it in a lower gear without the clutch when going well below the speed for the gear Im in. I know when I bought my XT250 they said its OK to shift at certain times without the clutch. Wondering if it the same with the little TW?

·
Registered
33 Posts
do you folks shift the TW without the clutch at times? Im not talking all the time, like when slowing down and hit it in a lower gear without the clutch when going well below the speed for the gear Im in. I know when I bought my XT250 they said its OK to shift at certain times without the clutch. Wondering if it the same with the little TW?
OMG NEVER DO THAT!!!!

Just kidding but seriously I'd only shift without the clutch if I absolutey had to. And thats for anything with 2 or more wheels.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stopping and starting?
OK. In all honesty I use the clutch almost all the time. But I've known guys that only use the clutch when they have to. Not sure it makes a difference.
i know the moto cross riders always use it but those are different bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
LOL you got me. Where is Mexico NY?
North of Syracuse in upstate NY. About 5 hours north of NYC.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've always figured that the engineers put in a clutch for a reason....
Yep,
That's my take too. After owning oh, maybe 25-30 motorcycles over a 50 year period, I just can't bring myself to shift without the clutch. I just wish more bikes came with a hydraulic one instead of cable one.
Scott

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is a technique to shifting without the clutch and not destroying the trans. Let off the gas. When the tension on the chain is off, trans is unloaded, shift. All this can happen in less than a second. Probably less than a half-second. You really have to be in tune with your bike. Motocross guys only use the clutch for starting off and slipping it coming off corners. I don't recommend it on the TW all the time but there are times when you just can't get to that clutch lever.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The owners manual says to use the clutch.....but I shift without the clutch when I need to change gears immediately in order to maintain control/momentum....happening more often these days....losing control that is......

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I do it by accident sometimes when my foot in on the lever in anticipation of shifting and I let off the throttle and it slips into the next gear. Nothing wrong with this but unless you really know your gears I'd stick with the clutch.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I'm so used to using the clutch I don't even think not too. Of course, I've accidentally hit the shift pedal with my foot without using the clutch when I've been bouncing around hanging on for dear life. ...but that wasn't on purpose...the shifting part.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In a direct mesh transmission... your counter sprocket shaft is turning at the speed relative to the rear wheel/final gearing regardless of whether or not your clutch is pulled in. The previous statement about 'unloading' by getting off the throttle is spot on. Give you an example... DO NOT DO THIS!!!! - say you are going downhill and drifting at 50mph. You pull the clutch all the way in and shift all the way down through the gears. You will hear and feel the shift loudly the farther down you go. Why? Even though that clutch is pulled in, gears are still spinning that you have meshed to the counter sprocket shaft and each lower one you go to is going to be a harder and harder mesh to that counter sprocket to the point you'll think you broke it just by the sound. (obviously you would never, ever do this unless you want to learn just how powerful an engine brake can be at 50 mph and how surprisingly faster it can lock up your rear wheel than your drum brake could if you let out the clutch at this point).

Point is, you don't need the clutch to shift, (though imo you should) but since the engine is meshed to the transmission via the clutch the key here is matching engine RPM's and transmission speed before the shift. You have to get them both matched up and not be under load by letting off the throttle. I would say over the long haul this practice is not going to be the best for the teeth on the gears in your transmission, or the shift cam mechanism as your engine RPM's being matched up to counter sprocket speed will be off enough from time to time that the gear teeth will take the hit from it as well as the extra little force on the shift cam attached to your shift lever, because sometimes (and you'll feel it) there is a little kickback felt through it when the gear is being forced into play.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I run an auto-clutch which makes shifting very similar to a no clutch shift..... tension on the shifter.... match wheel speed with engine rpm....pop it into the gear you are looking for... easy. if you have good throttle control it won't hurt a thing

·
Registered
202 Posts
Back in the olden days when I was young and dumb and full of come ….I recall riding a TW back to camp with a broken clutch lever.... twice….fool me once...well I was dumb...now I carry a spare.....

As I recall it was no problem shifting or getting to neutral when stopping ….. that was back in the 80's and I think you could start the bike in gear with the battery????

I am not sure...but in any case it was all downhill so it would have been no problem bump starting..... stuff happens.....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
This for those who believe that since the engineers put a clutch lever on the motorcycle, you must use it.
Or, you can not do it without trashing your tranny.
Or, you are a newbie and just haven't thought about it.

OK...what if the clutch lever is not there? As in broken off?
What if the clutch cable is broken?
What if your left wrist is broken?
What if you have the overpowering urge to scratch your nuts, just at shift time?

Here's a little Bike Bandit "How To..." article that explains it. It's not written very well and is just *wrong* on a couple of points, but you'll get the idea.

And, yes you can downshift without the clutch...it's just the opposite of the upshift procedure. Except when you are stopping, you must must downshift to neutral rather than the next lower gear. Then to take off again, with it still in neutral, just "dog-paddle" a couple of steps, then snick it into 1st or 2nd and off you go. Rinse, repeat.
I once had to ride most of the way across Dallas with a frozen clutch cable on a BMW...no sweat.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-to-make-clutchless-upshifts-on-any-motorcycle

Think it through, then practice it at slow road & engine speeds until you get the hang of it...it's easy and it won't hurt your bike.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a good skill to know. Ride long enough and you'll break a clutch cable or slave cylinder. You can ride home instead of walk. The difficult one is first - pushing the bike, then dropping it down(up to 2nd probably easier in a TW). Can be done. Has saved me on a bike and a 4wd pickup in the back country.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts