TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading through the forum, I see that Shinko 244 tires are popular. Is 460 or 510 closest to original equipment size? Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I run the SR241 in 4.00 / 18 not the 244 . The 241 is a bit more like a Dunlop trials universal tire I think its better , specially in the dirt . The Dunlop was standard issue on Triump Tiger Cubs back in the 60s

After reading through the forum, I see that Shinko 244 tires are popular. Is 460 or 510 closest to original equipment size? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Whats your take on the sr241 on pavement/dirt compared to stock. I have the sr244 in 5.10 and really like it but I have a few buddies looking at the sr241 but none of us have rode a bike with that tire yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't seem to find anything close to the 180/80-14 on line.
its a pretty odd sized tire, theres' really 3 exact choices:

bridgestone knobby (TW34), bridgestone dual sport (TW204) or shinko dual sport (SR428). the latter 2 are pretty similar in tread design.

some also run an atv tire.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the 241 and love it. IMO it sticks like glue on the road and dirt. Its very soft. So not sure how many miles I will get out of it. But very happy with it.
Whats your take on the sr241 on pavement/dirt compared to stock. I have the sr244 in 5.10 and really like it but I have a few buddies looking at the sr241 but none of us have rode a bike with that tire yet.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just placed an order through Motorcycle SuperStore on a SR241 in 4/ 18. Solid review guys, been searching since I became a member on a good solid answer on this tire, excited to replace that stocker with something more trail worthy.
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No problem, and write up a review yourself later on so we can expand the knowledge base of the community for the next rider.

I run the same pressures that I ran in the stock tire, which for me is 22 road, 10 off-road.

·
Registered
66 Posts
20141029_160540_resized_1.jpg I like the 241 a lot better than the Duro after 47 miles , but it hops. Two dealerships and small shop said looks like mounting is okay but out of round. Had it spun balanced but still hops at 15, 22 and 30 psi. Hopefully MC Superstore takes care of it. Anybody have issues with tire or store ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
MC Superstore replaced the tire. After changing the position on rim a few times I got it within 2mm of round. It took 2 1/2 ounces of weight and after very short test ride no more hop.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I went with the Shinko 244 4.10/18 for the front. I like it a lot!

Cheng Shin made an alternative back tire (180/80-14) for a while but no new ones here in the US for at least the last 10 years.
Too bad. I had one on a used bike. I liked it.

The OEM Bridgestone is the only alternative, presently, unless . . .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts