TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2018 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Installed the 241 a couple of weeks ago, had it installed and balanced at the shop and noticed an intense up and down hop especially between 30-45 mph and smoothes out a lot over 50mph (but still noticeable).
Tried balancing beads instead (with and without balancing weights).
Tried airing up to 25psi and down to 10psi with similar results.
The balancing beads with wheel weights will occasionally balance the wheel properly and counter balance the up and down movement.

I lifted and spun the front wheel to confirm the rim was straight and round (check).
The tire bead is seated properly (check)
BUT I could see that the tire itself appears out of round... (See video).
Looks like I found the source of the problem.

Reached out to the dealer who sold me the tire, waiting for the reply.

Has this happened to other people riding 241's?
I've seen comments like referring to people getting a bad tire (sometimes referring to made in China, quality control, or lack thereof). But I cannot find any first hand accounts... All reviews are similar and pretty positive.

Love the tire especially offroad, but the bounce is excessive...

Thanks for your feedback!

Links to videos:

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
453 Posts
Hi folks,

Installed the 241 a couple of weeks ago, had it installed and balanced at the shop and noticed an intense up and down hop especially between 30-45 mph and smoothes out a lot over 50mph (but still noticeable).
Tried balancing beads instead (with and without balancing weights).
Tried airing up to 25psi and down to 10psi with similar results.
The balancing beads with wheel weights will occasionally balance the wheel properly and counter balance the up and down movement.

I lifted and spun the front wheel to confirm the rim was straight and round (check).
The tire bead is seated properly (check)
BUT I could see that the tire itself appears out of round... (See video).
Looks like I found the source of the problem.

Reached out to the dealer who sold me the tire, waiting for the reply.

Has this happened to other people riding 241's?
I've seen comments like referring to people getting a bad tire (sometimes referring to made in China, quality control, or lack thereof). But I cannot find any first hand accounts... All reviews are similar and pretty positive.

Love the tire especially offroad, but the bounce is excessive...

Thanks for your feedback!

Links to videos:
Seems like a mfg defect - balance is one thing, but if tire is demonstrably out-of-round, any reputable dealer should be willing to do a warranty replacement for you. It's a liability issue, once you've reported it to the vendor - so if he's smart, he'll do right by you.

(I'm not running a 241, but have read nothing but glowing reviews for many years - sounds like you just drew the unlucky lotto ticket on your purchase. It happens occasionally, even with reputable tire brands).

·
Registered
2013 tw200
9 Posts
I had the same thing happen I ordered another new one and had it changed it is alot better but still a little noticeable. The shop said the tire was molded wrong so im sending the first tire back.

·
Registered
2018 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, it's in the dealer's hands... Glad to finally hear a first hand account that I'm not the only one.
I'll post the outcome once I know.

·
Registered
2018 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a 244 prior to the 241, very good road tire, not so good offroad. It has a mind of its own in any soft, and Rocky terrain. Hope you like it!

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha TW200
27 Posts
Huh very interesting I actually just came here to post about the same thing. Installed the 241 a few weeks ago with 3 oz. of Counter Act balance beads, it's a huge improvement over the stock tire and handles great off road but once I'm on the asphalt anywhere from 25-50 there is a noticeable bounce. Not terrible, not (too) scary and it still handles fine and doesn't get worse while cornering. So I was gonna ride it out thinking maybe it just needs to get worn in a little or maybe this was just how knobbys feel on asphalt. However after reading this I'm wondering if mine could be out of round as well. I just received a new inner tube yesterday so I could see how it handles with weights instead of beads. But I'll put the bike up on the stand and check the wheel out first, that would explain it pretty well, let us know how it works out bud!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I had the same thing happen with an expensive Avon Trail tire.

The tire was 1/4” out of round, and the front of the bike bounced up and down like it was on a pogo stick…

jb

·
Registered
2018 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it's pretty frustrating, pogo stick is a good description of the hopping sensation.

I had a 244 before and it hopped a bit, I guess there's a point where the hopping becomes unbearable/unsafe... It'd be pretty cool to have a way to measure that point!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was plagued by the hops for nearly a full season. Was told it could be many things causing the hops. Was the front tire, plain and simple. Ditch the Shinko brand!, Pay for a good quality tire, and be prepared to be amazed by how smooth a TW200 can be...

·
Registered
2018 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was plagued by the hops for nearly a full season. Was told it could be many things causing the hops. Was the front tire, plain and simple. Ditch the Shinko brand!, Pay for a good quality tire, and be prepared to be amazed by how smooth a TW200 can be...
Yeah I'm giving it "another chance" but that's what I'm thinking!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
..... Ditch the Shinko brand!, Pay for a good quality tire,...
Not always true. See above post about my expensive "good quality" Avon tire.

I had good service from Shinko 705's on 2 different bikes.

And am now running Shinko E700's on my XT 250 which are running fine.

jb

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Guess, I was lucky.....the new 241 I'd put on the 09'er was smooth on road. No balancing at all.

Of course.....it would've eventually hopped a bit once it began to wear.

·
Registered
2018 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE

Well... Unfortunately the 2nd tire is also out of round and hopping too. It's a bit better than the first one but not good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the Shinzo 241 from Rocky Mountain ATV, but haven’t mounted it yet. Now I’m kind of afraid to. No bouncing with the stock ”Deathwing”.

This will sound dumb, but what do I look for before mounting it? It’s still in the shrink wrap that they shipped it in.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I bought the Shinzo 241 from Rocky Mountain ATV, but haven’t mounted it yet. Now I’m kind of afraid to. No bouncing with the stock ”Deathwing”.

This will sound dumb, but what do I look for before mounting it? It’s still in the shrink wrap that they shipped it in.
The OEM usually doesn't "hop" until a few thousand miles.....once it begins to wear (every other knob down the center). Most any front, even aftermarket will as well...obviously on pavement.

Roundness for one thing, but not likely to notice anything unless just blatantly obvious. Luckily for me the 241 I got from RMATV had no issues new.

Reactions: DocDubzit

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Makes me wonder if these new ones that "hop" were stacked vertically, versus laid over, and perhaps had a bit of weight on top of them for too long a period of time. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
14,869 Posts
For what it's worth.
I have 3 each 18" 241's on our TW's and 19" & 21" 241's on my XT's, (all on the front). I've not had the wheel hop on any of them.
I have this year put Motoz Mountain Hybrids on the rear of two bikes and they have had wheel hop. I solved the wheel hop by putting in "Ride-On" and it balanced them out wonderfully. I suspect it was more of a balance issue than an actual tire out of alignment issue.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I know it's a stretch only because you've had different tires on with different results, but when I switched to the 241, that was the first thing the guy at the tireshop noticed, the tire fit pretty snug and he couldn't eyeball if it was tire out of round or the rim... so, he recommended I check the rim for true.

Turns out the 241 after it was inflated brought my rim slightly out of true, might be something worth checking just to mark it off the list of possibilities, if you have a truing stand. Or the dealer probably has one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts