TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have slime for my bike tires, but haven’t seen “ride on” before. They make it sound pretty impressive. I’m limiting myself to pavement till I finish the break in, and get a little experience under my belt. I figured I would mount up the shinko 241 at either of the first two oil change, 600-1000miles. But after reading the death wing threads I may mount it up sooner.

·
Super Moderator
14,867 Posts
I know it's a stretch only because you've had different tires on with different results, but when I switched to the 241, that was the first thing the guy at the tireshop noticed, the tire fit pretty snug and he couldn't eyeball if it was tire out of round or the rim... so, he recommended I check the rim for true.

Turns out the 241 after it was inflated brought my rim slightly out of true, might be something worth checking just to mark it off the list of possibilities, if you have a truing stand. Or the dealer probably has one.
I suspect (and I'm guilty of it too) we don't check our spokes as often as we should. I've found broken spokes on my rear OEM rim a couple of years ago. Had an ATV tire mounted on it for several years but I'm sure the rough riding got to it.
But I'm not discounting a bad batch of 241's either. It's just I haven't experienced the same with the tire but they're a couple years older than the new batch I'm sure.

Reactions: TWBigBlake

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I suspect (and I'm guilty of it too) we don't check our spokes as often as we should. I've found broken spokes on my rear OEM rim a couple of years ago. Had an ATV tire mounted on it for several years but I'm sure the rough riding got to it.
But I'm not discounting a bad batch of 241's either. It's just I haven't experienced the same with the tire but they're a couple years older than the new batch I'm sure.
Yea, could still be a batch of wonky tires, I'm sure it happens from time to time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had similar with a front tire of another brand than Shinko once, Chinese made. It was a bitch to mount, took 100 lb air to get it to seat properly. Long story short it was the bead area that was out of whack, not the tread area. Unforseen, rare manufacturing defect, replaced free of charge.

My old boss told me about another one back in the 1960's. Being a long in the tooth auto and former ww2 aircraft bomber mechanic he really knew his stuff. He'd bought a brand new station wagon. At a steady 50 or 60 mph cruising speed the 6 cyl engine with auto trans would have a rather loud harmonious vibration - drove him nuts, as if something was out of balance, and only at that speed range.

It was on new car warranty so the dealership looked into it without success at first. They did everything including removing and replacing the entire engine, thinking the original was not properly balanced. This was after they'd checked more obvious things like wheel balance, replaced the driveshaft, generator, water pump maybe, I just forget what all now. They were stumped. Even after the engine was switched the vibration was still there... Apparently the manufacturer was prepared to give him a brand new car period end, and take the other back to the factory to diagnose for themselves what the H was wrong.

In the course of all this checking and re-checking the fan belt (first line US made brand) had been removed for some reason and was laying flat on the bench. Someone happened to notice that even though it was laying flat on the bench, it had a permanent wow in it, a bend... It was forgotten until after the new engine was put in somebody remembered that fan belt. Thinking what the hey, they'd done everything else.. So they replaced the belt, for what it might be worth.

Guess what? After all the work they'd done and done again, the new belt fixed it! The wow in the belt was enough to set up a harmonic vibration at cruising speed that ultimately cost Ford a new engine plus all the related labour and loaner costs. If they wouldn't have replaced that $2.00 belt right away it would have cost them more than the price of a brand new car. "C'mon! It's not the fan belt! Sheesh...

Bottom line is that we occasionally see manufacturing faults in all kinds of things. You name it. How about money - coins for example, or foodstuffs - mouse in your beer bottle? Automotive warranty claims?? Car tires... Electronics... And look at the quality control behind those things! "Poop", or unintended mechanical failings can and do happen in manufacture, no matter who the mfr is.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Yea, could still be a batch of wonky tires, I'm sure it happens from time to time.
I didn't say anything cause everyone seems such a fan of shinko here. But when we tried shinko tires on the 18 wheelers they were so far out of whack they couldn't even be used for recaps. Boss was pissed, entire trailer load of unusable tires. I don't know what ever became of it though. Left there before he got it resolved. He did try many different hillbilly tricks to try and get them to ride right even tried doing it the right way and grinding the tires true to the bead, nope no worky. Lots of wheel seals, King pins, bearings until he gave up.

·
Registered
2018 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bought the Shinzo 241 from Rocky Mountain ATV, but haven’t mounted it yet. Now I’m kind of afraid to. No bouncing with the stock ”Deathwing”.

This will sound dumb, but what do I look for before mounting it? It’s still in the shrink wrap that they shipped it in.
I don't think you can assess that if it's not yet mounted...
Makes me wonder if these new ones that "hop" were stacked vertically, versus laid over, and perhaps had a bit of weight on top of them for too long a period of time. :unsure:
I was thinking the same...
I know it's a stretch only because you've had different tires on with different results, but when I switched to the 241, that was the first thing the guy at the tireshop noticed, the tire fit pretty snug and he couldn't eyeball if it was tire out of round or the rim... so, he recommended I check the rim for true.

Turns out the 241 after it was inflated brought my rim slightly out of true, might be something worth checking just to mark it off the list of possibilities, if you have a truing stand. Or the dealer probably has one.
Woah, that would surprise me but what the hell, I'll check!

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
One thing i haven't seen anyone recommend trying is what we did with the big trucks for other brand tires when they would bounce. Put a mark on the tire and wheel in the same spot and break the bead down and rotate the tire 180° and remount. It's a 50/50 chance it'll work.

Reactions: DocDubzit

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha TW200
27 Posts
Just here to say that my hopping went away after putting about 50 miles on the tire (shinko 241). Mine was a pretty minor hop though.

·
Registered
2012 TW200, 1988 DT50, 2002 ZRX1200
55 Posts
Getting mine installed tomorrow. Suspense is killing me.

Hoping to do a local off-road ride next Saturday. That will be a good test of the Shinko.

·
Registered
2012 TW200, 1988 DT50, 2002 ZRX1200
55 Posts
So a little follow up.

Got the tire mounted & balanced last night. Took if for a little ride tonight.

Good news, no hopping. It took quite a bit of weight to balance, but it seems as smooth as the old Trail Wing.

Bad news, it took away some of that delightfully light steering and handling on the street. Steering is heavier and it takes a bit more effort to bank it into corners. Of course it was effortless before, it’s not like it’s bad, just different than I’ve become used to.

Good news…. I have found a patch of maybe not illegal off-road two track right in the neighborhood. It is SO much more sure footed with the Shinko on the front. Well worth the change in my opinion.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts