TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the recommendations here on forum to replace the stock front tire, I decided to go with the Shinko 241. Having never replaced a motorcycle tire before, I watched a few youtube videos and then forged some tire spoons and made rim protectors out a doubled up piece of plastic from a jar, using a heat gun. With recommendations saying if you don't have a wheel stand to use a bucket to support the rim when removing the tire. I had my blacksmith quench bucket a few feet away, so that is what I used and with it filled with water it did make it more stable. But I still did not find it optimal. On the installation I did it on the floor with 4 pieces of cardboard under the hub to protect it. I had an easier time on the floor as I was able to hold the seated part of the tire in place while working the spoons around.
I took the bike out today to test out the tire on different terrain, medium hills with soft dirt, asphalt roads, and hard packed dirt roads with gravel. I definitely like the new tire and consider it an upgrade. On a hard packed dirt roads ( like asphalt) with gravel on top, the stock tire was was more unpredictable than any of the other stock tires I have had on motorcycles, why I don't know. The 241 made the bike feel like you would normally expect on gravel roads. Since I never laid the bike down with the stock tire I don't know if I would go so far as to call it the death wing, but for $52 delivered, it was worth it to me to upgrade to the 241.

20180308_121407_PerfectlyClear.jpg

20180309_172954_PerfectlyClear.jpg

20180309_174027_PerfectlyClear.jpg

·
Registered
5,958 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,997 Posts
Nice bro!! :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Wow that’s impressive. Some of the blades looked like Damascus steel. I wished I had made rim protectors when I installed my tires.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts