TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shinko 241 vs 244

I understand the basic difference, which is primarily weight – slight compound change etc – but if you had a bike with the 244 fitted, is it worth changing for the 241 ?

My rider weight is 180, with all the gear – does rider weight even come into this – is it a matter of preference – or trail conditions – riding style – or even height (6ft) – so many variables

To those of you who have changed one for the other – why – and what are your experiences of both tires ?

I suspect this has been covered before – but perhaps it time to “update” the discussion

Any and all comments welcome ……

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Well I have a the larger of the two sizes of 244 now and find when it's close to or below freezing I loose traction due to the hard rubber compound. Otherwise it is a great tire in most conditions. Now the 241 has such a softer rubber that I think it will perform better in colder weather. The tread pattern looks like it will grip even better since the lug to space ratio is 50/50. Plus the slits in the lugs make then extra flexible. I plan to put it on next weekend if all goes well but I'm not sure if I want to brave the cold/snow/ice out and there. I plan to stud the stock tire for real winter driving eventually.

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you – my thoughts are the same – 244 better in sand due to the stiffer compound – 241 better on “most other surfaces”

Has anyone noticed a difference in “lift” – when you bounce the bike off the rear and lift the front ?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Trials tire all the way, even in sand. I have only had the golden boy and for my riding style (aggressive), I could not get that tire to stick. Now the MT43 (trials), I have had no issues with. Mud, snow, sand, rocks, loom, roots (wet and dry) this item does it all!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
i've had a 241 on the front for 3 years and never had a slip, great tire. i now have a xt225 with the kenda, with the same tread pattern as the 244 and it isn't as sticky. i have to be careful with it. i would change it to a 241, but the 244 is rated to carry an extra ( all most) 100 lbs ( in my 21" size)

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
244 vs. 241

Used both. Equal on the road except 244 sounded louder.

Off-Road. 244, used both 4.60 & 5.10. Like the 4.60 better but honestly pretty close and I never noticed the weight difference...in the tires...me is a different matter.

Off-road 241. Currently using 241 on both TW's. Love it in all conditions off-road. I think it's better than the 244 in/on gravel, hardpack dirt, sand, rock, mud, snow, moon dust (aka baby powder) but all tires suck in this stuff anyway.

I'd still buy another 244 but prefer the 241.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Shinko 241 vs 244

I understand the basic difference, which is primarily weight — slight compound change etc — but if you had a bike with the 244 fitted, is it worth changing for the 241 ?

My rider weight is 180, with all the gear — does rider weight even come into this — is it a matter of preference — or trail conditions — riding style — or even height (6ft) — so many variables

To those of you who have changed one for the other — why — and what are your experiences of both tires ?

I suspect this has been covered before — but perhaps it time to “update” the discussion

Any and all comments welcome ……

I went with the 241 4.0 tire last summer. all I can say is WOW so much more fun to ride now. Did not know what I was missing waiting so long. My Maxxis 6006 was totally gone and needed changed out in a bad way. So glad I went with the 241.

ps: wife's bike has the 244 on it and my son has the kenda, (same tire) 241 is much better. I may be changing hers this summer. Son is still considering selling his bike.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Jeez, thanks Purple :) Just when I'd spent hours combing thru all the tire threads and decided on the 241!
Thanks for all the great info on this forum folks! Incredible when trying to decide on these mods.
I should have listened when everybody called the stock front tire a p.o.s!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Which Is the Safer, OFF-Road Front Tire--Wider or Narrower?

I went with the 241 4.0 tire last summer. all I can say is WOW so much more fun to ride now. Did not know what I was missing waiting so long. My Maxxis 6006 was totally gone and needed changed out in a bad way. So glad I went with the 241.

ps: wife's bike has the 244 on it and my son has the kenda, (same tire) 241 is much better. I may be changing hers this summer. Son is still considering selling his bike.
goldenhtr,

When you say "I went with the 241 4.0 tire last summer..." are you actually referring to a 4" wide front tire?

If so, can you (and others) explain why some members prefer narrower, 4.60" and (now, apparently) a 4.0"-wide front tire, when the TW200 comes with a 5.10" wide front tire?

And I should explain that, while "fun" for an experienced, solo rider like yourself is awesome, my tire-choice priorities are driven by the best width/brand/model for the SAFEST, TWO-UP, OFF-road riding. (My 60 y.o. wife has been through a rough, four years of illnesses and injuries, and we just want to ride "Low and Slow," and try to get some normalcy back in our lives.)

I'm 160+lbs, wife is 120lbs.

So GENTLE, TWO-UP, OFF-ROAD, "NYS-woodsy," SAFETY FIRST riding are my priorities in choosing the best front tire.

Opinions on the best WIDTH, for TWO-UP, OFF-road riding, in NYS's mix of muddy/grassy tractor-roads through hay fields, some gravel roads, a gravel quarry, (rare) beach sand, corn fields and logging roads, would be most appreciated!

Lastly, which is preferred, the 241 vs. the 244, for TWO-UP riding in the NYS-style, off-road conditions described above?

Thanks, much!

TS185

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
TS185,

A 4.00x18 is the only 18" size Shinko SR241 available for our TW's. Without getting into all the size charts, the SR241 is very close to the same width of the stock tire.

An option which many TW riders used instead of the stock tire and before the SR241 was discovered by forum members was the Shinko SR244. This tire came in two sizes, 5.10x18 and 4.60x18 which fit our TW's. Reasons vary to width and weight differences between the two sizes as to which one to buy. Some people were wary and scared away from what was proposed as a heavier front tire and slower turning response and migrated to the 4.60. Some could not tell the difference and some could but everyone agreed that this tire in either size was better than the stock tire. Then came the SR241.
(I should note that a Kenda 270 has a very similar tread pattern to the SR244 but most went with the SR244 because it cost less-we're cheap).

I would suggest you get a SR241 but by your riding description, you'd be just fine with the SR244. However, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, you'll also find the SR244 will be noisier than the SR241 on pavement, especially when wear patters develop. And by louder I mean it has a loud high pitch whine. Additionally, if you were to choose the SR244, you'd be fine with either size.

P.S. I wish and hope to weigh less than you & your wife put together someday soon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
TopPredator will chime in any moment now!:D
That’s funny Brian...thanks for my first laugh of the morning. :D. I’ve beat the 244 horse to death. I’m with Dryden... “ if I see one more thread on front tires I’m going to scream”.
This forum has lost a lots of it appeal since we can’t beat each other up over politics.
How’s that?

Go Trump

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Is there a difference in aspect ratio and does that make a difference. The reason that I ask is that I just recently put a Pirelli MT-43 on the font of my TW. The difference over the stock tire was significant enough to require re-adjusting the mirrors. I think it raised the bars by a full inch. This was a bonus for me since I already have the Powermadd risers and would still like the bars a little higher. It might not be a bonus for someone looking to lower the TW. Raising the bars one inch obviously does not raise the seat a full inch but does make a slight difference, enough for anyone to care, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey, I want to join in with a question about the 244 vs the 241...
Does one have a stiffer sidewall than the other? I use Ride On in my tires, but just in case it doesn't perform as touted, I'd like the peace of mind of having a heavy ply to provide some stiffness in case of a flat.

I know the original deathwing was floppy when I took it off, and for a short period of time I've mistakenly run the 244 on pavement with a "0" registering on my digital air gauge when I checked it.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Hey, I want to join in with a question about the 244 vs the 241...
Does one have a stiffer sidewall than the other? I use Ride On in my tires, but just in case it doesn't perform as touted, I'd like the peace of mind of having a heavy ply to provide some stiffness in case of a flat.

I know the original deathwing was floppy when I took it off, and for a short period of time I've mistakenly run the 244 on pavement with a "0" registering on my digital air gauge when I checked it.

This is my testimony not under oath. The 244 sidewalls may be stiff enough but after a mile or two running flat it may break the bead. So, I wouldn't count on sidewall thinkness to keep you going down the trail when the SR244 is gasping for air! I wouldn't count on the SR241 being any better in this situation.
This was taken this past fall. If we (me and ejfranz) collectively would have all the tools with us, I wouldn't have had to ride his TW 30 miles and drive my jeep & trailer (w/his TW :) 30 miles back to pick up my out of breath TW. This may prompt the blah blah blah ride-on crowd to pipe up and inject there seriousness of the product but if you don't have it, you don't have it and that was that. It could have been much worse. We could have had to ride two-up to get the jeep & trailer...er I mean I could have had to walk to get it.:p

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeez, thanks Purple :) Just when I'd spent hours combing thru all the tire threads and decided on the 241!
It’s always good to do your own research to narrow down the best choices available according to your riding area — otherwise you don’t know what’s out there to choose from in the first place

My reasons for asking this “specific” question, is because I have a bike wearing a 244, but I had heard of many on here switching to the 241. Opinions change over time, and as such, we have drifted from the 244 to the 241

The “front tire choices” thread that has been running since 2012, does an excellent job — but perhaps it doesn’t address directly the comparison of the 244 / 241 — so I had hoped to condense that comparison into one thread — and by your responses, it seems to be succeeding

This board serves as an information resource, but only if we continue to ask questions, and update the answers as necessary …… ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
TS185,

A 4.00x18 is the only available 18" size Shinko SR241 available for our TW's. Without getting into all the size charts, the SR241 is very close to the same width of the stock tire.

An option which many TW riders used instead of the stock tire and before the SR241 was discovered by forum members was the Shinko SR244. This tire came in two sizes, 5.10x18 and 4.60x18 to fit our TW's. Reasons vary to width and weight of this tire between the two sizes as to which one to buy. Some people were wary and scared away from what was proposed as a heavier front tire and slower turning response and migrated to the 4.60. Some could not tell the difference and some could not but everyone agreed that this tire in either size was better than the stock tire. Then came the SR241.
(I should note that a Kenda 270 has a very similar tread pattern to the SR244 but most went with the SR244 because it cost less-we're cheap).

I would suggest you get a SR241 but by your riding description, you'd be just fine with the SR244. However, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, you'll also find the SR244 will be noisier than the SR241 on pavement, especially when wear patters develop. Additionally, if you were to choose the SR244, you'd be fine with either size.

P.S. I wish and hope to weigh less than you & your wife put together someday soon.
:rolleyes:
admiral,

Wow--thank you for your excellent "Cliff Notes" review of what looked to be a ton of tire reading before me!

And thanks for the SR241 recommendation--I was kind of leaning that way from what I'd read so far, but I'm a noob, so the more info, the better. :D

I do have a question--when you say this...

"Without getting into all the size charts, the SR241 is very close to the same width of the stock tire."

...does that mean that the SR241 is almost the same width as the stock, 5.10"-wide front tire?

I (think I) want a wider tire, for off-road stability's sake, so do you know if the SR241 is actually a little wider, or a little narrower, than the stock "Death Wing"'s 5.10" width?

And because I'm OCD, would you be able to "ballpark" the difference, in inches, for us metrically-challenged, '70's-children?

And re: the weight-thing?
I truly appreciate your sharing, as I was afraid someone was going to tell me that our combined 300lbs. (with boots/gear, etc...) might be too much for safe, SLOW off-roading.

Re: Rubber-"Softness": the SR241 vs the SR244:

I thought I read the SR241 is made of a softer compound. If so, this too, appeals to me, as when riding solo, I'd like to do a little "rock crawling" (we have some shale--I'm hoping to find some more solid rock to ride on) and the softer compound would be a plus, there.

Re: Mud-Clearing Ability Between the SR241 vs SR244:
I thought I read the SR241's lugs are closer together, and they could "turn into a slick" sooner than the SR244. IF I've got that right, is that only re: clay and/or "river-muck," or does that refer to general "field-mud," say from the tractor-paths around a corn field? Because it sounds like it's not considered a big deal, based on your recommendation of the SR241.

Re: the Kenda 270 option:
I'm part Scottish, so "cheap" is in my DNA. :p. (My father grew up in The Great Depression--he's 93 soon, and a WWII vet, but I think I'm now "tighter" than he is! LOL)
That said, IS the Kenda 270 better, in any way? Because I don't mind spending the extra dollars, if there's any perceivable safety increases to be had, OFF-road, with the Kenda 270, given that I'll have my wife on board. (I won't be taking her with me, IF I venture out onto pavement, unless I wake up as John Surtees, some day--May he R.I.P.)

FULL-DISCLOSURE re: the "Weight-thing":
Not so long ago, I weighed 185 (like my screen name--HA!), and only recently dropped down to the low 160's. TBH, I do fluctuate up to 170, but that's better than a couple of months ago, when it was up to 175+. Being injured, myself, I'm not able to exercise, so (other than cutting down on the Peanut M&M's) I don't know how I lost it, other than depression, which I don't recommend. But I do think a T-Dub will help with depression! :D

My point is:
I have every confidence you will attain your goal, soon, and we're wishing you, and all the Members, a Happy, HEALTHY, Peaceful, Prosperous and SAFE New Year!

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
admiral,

Wow--thank you for your excellent "Cliff Notes" review of what looked to be a ton of tire reading before me!

And thanks for the SR241 recommendation--I was kind of leaning that way from what I'd read so far, but I'm a noob, so the more info, the better. :D

I do have a question--when you say this...

"Without getting into all the size charts, the SR241 is very close to the same width of the stock tire."

...does that mean that the SR241 is almost the same width as the stock, 5.10"-wide front tire?

I (think I) want a wider tire, for off-road stability's sake, so do you know if the SR241 is actually a little wider, or a little narrower, than the stock "Death Wing"'s 5.10" width?

And because I'm OCD, would you be able to "ballpark" the difference, in inches, for us metrically-challenged, '70's-children?

I'd have to study the charts for a while to give you an exact answer to the tire size measurements. I'm '60's-children and am even more metrically-challenged but here are a couple links for you to study. I also want to say there are a lot of other factor's which go into determining "off-road stability". Rider experience and terrain riding through. I find a skinny front tire is easier to ride in sand than a wider tire. Someone else may have a different opinion and so on.

These charts can explain size differences way better than I can so I'll cut out the middleman (me).

Motorcycle Tire School | Maxxis Tires USA

Tire Chart Conversion

And re: the weight-thing?
I truly appreciate your sharing, as I was afraid someone was going to tell me that our combined 300lbs. (with boots/gear, etc...) might be too much for safe, SLOW off-roading.

If it get's too rough you're wife will let you know when riding 2-up.

Re: Rubber-"Softness": the SR241 vs the SR244:
I thought I read the SR241 is made of a softer compound. If so, this too, appeals to me, as when riding solo, I'd like to do a little "rock crawling" (we have some shale--I'm hoping to find some more solid rock to ride on) and the softer compound would be a plus, there.

I'm not a rubberologist or tireologist but I think the 244 gets um...harder when it gets cooler out.

Re: Mud-Clearing Ability Between the SR241 vs SR244:
I thought I read the SR241's lugs are closer together, and they could "turn into a slick" sooner than the SR244. IF I've got that right, is that only re: clay and/or "river-muck," or does that refer to general "field-mud," say from the tractor-paths around a corn field? Because it sounds like it's not considered a big deal, based on your recommendation of the SR241.

Tough call here. I actually give the mud-slinging edge to the 241.

Re: the Kenda 270 option:
I'm part Scottish, so "cheap" is in my DNA. :p. (My father grew up in The Great Depression--he's 93 soon, and a WWII vet, but I think I'm now "tighter" than he is! LOL)
That said, IS the Kenda 270 better, in any way? Because I don't mind spending the extra dollars, if there's any perceivable safety increases to be had, OFF-road, with the Kenda 270, given that I'll have my wife on board. (I won't be taking her with me, IF I venture out onto pavement, unless I wake up as John Surtees, some day--May he R.I.P.)

I've never heard the 270 was better than the 244 but I've never used the 270. Hopefully, someone who has ridden with both a 244 and 270 can chime in.

FULL-DISCLOSURE re: the "Weight-thing":
Not so long ago, I weighed 185 (like my screen name--HA!), and only recently dropped down to the low 160's. TBH, I do fluctuate up to 170, but that's better than a couple of months ago, when it was up to 175+. Being injured, myself, I'm not able to exercise, so (other than cutting down on the Peanut M&M's) I don't know how I lost it, other than depression, which I don't recommend. But I do think a T-Dub will help with depression! :D

Oh, I'm suppose to stop eating the Peanut M&M's? Oops! I ride a lot and only get depressed when I can't in the winter. But usually I keep riding no matter the season so I don't think I get depressed. I'll have to ask one of my other personalities to chime in to make sure I got this right. :D:(

My point is:
I have every confidence you will attain your goal, soon, and we're wishing you, and all the Members, a Happy, HEALTHY, Peaceful, Prosperous and SAFE New Year!

I'd rather die riding off a cliff than from heart disease so there is some motivation there. Now, I'm not gonna ride off the cliff on purpose...or anytime soon, so there is that. P.S. I weighed 160 when I graduated from High School. That was a long time ago and a lot of pounds ago too!

I answered the best I could in red above. You got this!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts