TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to try out the new Shinko 244 on the front. N2O2 Diver said that it would take a few days to get used to it, but that it is a great tire.

He was right. At first it felt weird at low speeds on pavement. That lasted about ten minutes.

My test route starts with a little over 30 miles of winding two lane pavement and an elevation increase of about 4000 feet. From there I take a mostly easy two-track which has

some moderately rough sections and which connects to some OMIGOD! stuff. It runs from Pine Valley through Corral Hollow around Lake Morena.

I ran at about 45-50mph on the way up there, wanting to get some pavement miles on that new tire before pushing it. I gradually began trusting it.

Once off-road it only took about 1/4 mile to realize that the Shinko is light years better than the old stocker.

Where the old tire would sometimes slip or slide sideways over loose rocks, this tire simply rolled over them without being deflected at all. The stocker was not bad on deep sand,

but the Shinko treated it almost as if it did not exist. I was running 18/18 pressures, probably a bit high for the dirt, but it still soaked up the bigger hits. I ran some of the

moderately rough stuff in 2nd and 3rd gears at 10-25 mph and it was good there as well.

On the way home I ran it a bit faster and it tracked very well. N2O2 Diver was right. It is a very good tire.

This bike is now ready for the Sierras. I can't wait.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks for the info! Good to hear from folks about items and real world thoughts.

I am looking at this tire for my Wife's bike, seems like it would improve her offroad traction without being tough to handle on road.

Thanks again!

Bag

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
We need to keep quiet about this tire or they'll jack up the price
. I just bought my second set for the KLR and they both cost me less than one D606.

I changed speedometers and didn't note the mileage when I did it, but I'm guessing I have 5-6,000 miles on the 5.10 SR244.

I'll post a pic later, but if you look at the main central tread pattern you'll see that it alternates 1-2-1-2. When used as a front tire the single center lugs tend not to wear at all wheras the rows of two lugs will tend "slope" or feather under over time. If you catch this at the first sign of a visible angle you can just reverse them on the rim and run them a few more thousand miles until it appears again, then flip them again.

I've flipped mine twice and it's coming due for it again. I expect to get as much as 10,000 miles out of it, and that's really saying something when it comes to a dualsport tire.

This also apllies to the Kendas, which will wear similarly, but any non-directional knobby can be reversed for better wear.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tony, I got the 5.10X18. Stock size is 130 and I wanted to stay as close to that as possible.

5.10"

X 25.4 mm per inch

--------------

129.54 mm which rounds to 130 mm.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm fairly new to this forum and had not really paid much attention to the TW until recently. I ran across a test of a TW in a copy of Motorcycle Consumer News from a couple of years ago. I have been riding for a long time; I'll be 79 next spring. As many of you know, conventional dirt bikes do not operate well at low speeds. Rough sections are best tackled at a higher speed while standing on the pegs.

Once my joints prevented me from comfortably standing on the pegs I reluctantly gave up riding dirt about ten years ago. A couple of years after that my 10 y.o. grandson begged me to teach him to ride dirt, so I bought bikes for both of us and we rode together until last year. I could no longer ride well, but he didn't care; we were riding.

When he went into the army I gave it up again and sold my dirt bike. Then this year I ran across a magazine article touting a dirt bike which actually works very well with the rider just sitting in the seat and going slow. I started looking for a TW.

The members of this forum have helped me get my TW set up as it should be, and I'm extremely grateful. I'm still a good, fast street rider but really missed the dirt. The TW has given me the ability to once again ride into some of my favorite places in the Sierras. The members of this forum have been very helpful in making that possible. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I think a lot of us hope to be you somewhere down the road. Thanks for the background info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kind of new to riding, and the TW is my first bike. I noticed right away that the front tire seems loose on gravel, like it wants to slide back and forth a bit on the loose rock. Is this a normal function of riding a motorcycle on gravel, or does it come from the stock tire? I will change it if I need to, but only if it will make it ride better. This post sounds a little like what I am describing, and possibly offers a solution. Where does everyone get your tires? Motorcycle dealers, and do you have them mount them? Do they balance them? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Tony, I got the 5.10X18. Stock size is 130 and I wanted to stay as close to that as possible.

5.10"

X 25.4 mm per inch

--------------

129.54 mm which rounds to 130 mm.
I measured my stock Bridgestone 130/80-18 tire and it measure 115 mm. Figures. I was thinking of a 120/90-18 Heidenau tire for the front and it measures a true 120. Cost is about $110, or a 140/80-18 for $140, but when compared to the Shinko for around $55 it makes me pause, and Shinko looks more like a dirt tire. I still haven't decided but I bet the Heidenau on the front of a TW would last a long time on pavement and give OK performance off road.

What kind of mileage can be expected on the Shinko when used primarily on the street? Lizrdbrth says he expects 10K miles but I am betting about half that or more is in the dirt.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swimmer, I'll try to respond to your questions. In my experience all motorcycle tires will move around a bit on gravel, loose rocks or sand. Some will move only a little and some will move a lot. My new Shinko moves only a little and my somewhat worn original tire moved a lot. Sideways, mostly. In particular, rocks don't seem to deflect the Shinko nearly as much as the original.

It's usually not a huge problem either way, since if I keep a light hold on the bars the bike will normally just twitch a little and straighten out. Really big rocks and ledges require a firmer grip, of course. Over-controlling is one way newcomers get into trouble. Deep sand is particularly important to not over-control.

There are lots of places on the internet to get bike tires. Deciding which one is the toughest part.I found the Shinko 244 on the Tires Unlimited website and printed it out. I took the print-out to my local motorcycle shop and had them order it from their own supplier(so they could make a few bucks) It came in a few days later and I took the bike in and they balanced and installed it.

Not too long ago I would have done it all myself, but I hate changing tires at my age. Plus, a good, reasonably priced shop is worth supporting unless you are isolated or very self-sufficient.

Balancing is a good thing if you do a lot of road travel. It may have to be re-done after a lot of off-road use. A lot of riders don't bother. I notice the difference, though. I think the Shinko, being a heavier tire, might be a good tire to balance if possible.

I think balancing is more important on the front than the back.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
What kind of mileage can be expected on the Shinko when used primarily on the street? Lizrdbrth says he expects 10K miles but I am betting about half that or more is in the dirt.

Tough question. I hate to keep repeating myself but I think it's still true that it remains to be seen, because few of us have ran one of these long enough to wear one out. I keep reversing mine to get more life out of it so it's hard to say what to expect with all the variables.

My riding has been a bit unusual this past year. I'd typically consider myself at least 50/50, but even with the speedo issue I can give a pretty good estimate because almost 2,000 of the miles on this tire were paved miles from our honeymoon and 1,000 were from the Iron Butt, so there's at least 3,000 on pavement and the rest were probably split 50/50 from there. Maybe 75/25, overall?

At any rate I'm pretty tickled. I'm happy wnenever I get much more than 3,000 miles total and have tread left that still remains usable offroad on my heavier or more powerful dualsports, front OR rear.

To be fair I have no idea the longevity of the stock Trailwings because I tossed them pretty early in the game. Hers were still in pretty good shape after 8,000 miles or so, but the front completely sucked off pavement from Day1.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have about 1100 miles on a new Shinko 244 on the front and second all the positive comments posted here.

BTW.......About 50/50 dirt and pavement.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a 5.1 on two bikes with approx 6600 miles on both. They haven't been flipped, and as lzrd said, they 'cup' pretty significantly.

Pressures have been from 12-25psi, on around 80% road, 20% unsealed.

At this mileage, they still run well and give great traction. But, the 'two lugs' are much more worn than the 'single' lug.

I'll get a pic up soon, but I'll be changing soon. :)

This time, trying 4.6 (few cents cheaper).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kind of new to riding, and the TW is my first bike. I noticed right away that the front tire seems loose on gravel, like it wants to slide back and forth a bit on the loose rock. Is this a normal function of riding a motorcycle on gravel, or does it come from the stock tire? I will change it if I need to, but only if it will make it ride better. This post sounds a little like what I am describing, and possibly offers a solution. Where does everyone get your tires? Motorcycle dealers, and do you have them mount them? Do they balance them? Thanks for any help.
If you are going to do any riding on dirt, loose rock or gravel roads...change out that stock Bridgestone immediately. Trust me, you will do it now or later...save yourself the exercise of lifting your bike up off the ground and do it! (to borrow a phrase from Nike).

I got my '14 TUU just 6 weeks ago and have logged over 1000 off-road miles already (when you are trail riding at 15-20 mph, that's a lot of riding). In my first few weeks of riding I would go down at least once a ride. Since moving to the Shinko SR 244 "Golden Boy" 5.1 x18, I have not done down. It was near impossible to do a U-turn on a gravel road with the Bridgestone. Plus I ride gravel, loose rock at least 7 mph faster with more confidence than before. The Shinko is a great tire. Many members here also like the Kenda 270. To my unsophisticated eye they look very similar. They are both softer compounds than the Bridgestone, providing a smoother (less vibration in handlebars) ride on pavement too.

There are several providers of this tire, just do a search on the Internet. I have had good experience with Motorcycle Superstore. I got my Shinko mounted and balanced at my local dealer for $40.

IMHO as a relative newbie still climbing that steep learning curve, the two essential farkles for a new safe TUU are a new front tire and good hand guards. Of course a Jimbo windscreen doesn't hurt either!

Ride on the road like no one can see you. I have been road and Mtn biking for 35 years. I have employed this perspective whenever I biked near automobiles and it has saved my life. Don't ASSume any sees you.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a 5.1 on two bikes with approx 6600 miles on both. They haven't been flipped, and as lzrd said, they 'cup' pretty significantly.

Pressures have been from 12-25psi, on around 80% road, 20% unsealed.

At this mileage, they still run well and give great traction. But, the 'two lugs' are much more worn than the 'single' lug.

I'll get a pic up soon, but I'll be changing soon. :)

This time, trying 4.6 (few cents cheaper).
6900 miles. This is the better of the two tyres.

The middle knobs on the other TW were worn much worse, but you get the picture. For the price and all-round performance, they're the best I've tried (worn out a stock, Pirelli MT21, Cheng/Maxxis 6006 and now the Shinko 244s).

4.6 vs 5.1.

·
Registered
656 Posts
And less folks forget, look at most dirt bike tires. The 4.60 as a front is still very wide. Also inflated the difference isn't quite as dramatic.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts