TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. After much reading and looking, I prefer the look of the Shinko 244, but our beloved lizrdbrth said the 241 "sticks" to the road better due to softer material, so I like that too.

Which tire do you like better and why?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
What I like may not be what you like.
I had a wore out stock when I bought my bike. It song so loud it hurt my ears. My need was a quieter tire. My riding is more dirt so after reading and asking I went with Shinko 244. But next time ?

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
I don't know yet. I too use the 244, and it's about at the end of it's life cycle. As Padilen say's, it was way better than stock. However, this winter I'm gonna buy a 241 and see how it works. After that I'll then have the answer for you! Either one will most likely work for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I've decided to replace my stock front tire with the Shinko 244 4.6.

Forum member Leben posted a picture of it in the "New Tire=New Ride" thread, page 2.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm trying to make this decision for spring.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Just to confuse things how about my rubber of choice, an IRC GP-1 Trials? mmgtd8JKP-weSXxOaAHMBuw.jpg Visual clone to the Shinko 244 I believe. Some criticize more flexible side knobs of the 244 vs. the 241. I have no complaints. New York state likely has a bit more loamy soils than I see. My terrain is a mix of sand, sandy cohesive soils, mud and rock. IRC has yet to scare me leaned over on paved corners, however I feel the Duro ATV tire in the rear would be my limiting factor on asphalt.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Trials tire all the way. Mine came with the golden boy and I hated.
My choice would be the Pirelli MT43.

Reactions: PlacerLode

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
both are great quality the 244 is a beefy monster and looks bitchin but it's heavy so thats where the 241 shines it is also great looking but super light and still grips like crazy

For a showroom display I like the 244 for actual riding it's the 241 hands down it's not even close

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
241 is the hands down best. The 244 is the hands down best. The Pirelli MT43 is the hands down best. The IRC GP-1 is the hands down best. The stocker SUCKS!!!!

Tom

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
"For a showroom display I like the 244 for actual riding it's the 241 hands down it's not even close"

This summer I went from a 203 to a 244 and I will admit the looks affected my choice over the 241. At first I hated the 244... so heavy and stiff it just bounced off everything then I lowered f & R pressures to 12 or 14 psi and that made my bike the best it has ever been off road. Next I will definitely try the 241 unless I go back to the 203 204s.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
i had the 244 and loved it, switched to the 241, and not totally convinced yet. i rode the 244 at 18 psi on and off road and felt solid. trying the same with the 241 and just feels looser.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
i had the 244 and loved it, switched to the 241, and not totally convinced yet. i rode the 244 at 18 psi on and off road and felt solid. trying the same with the 241 and just feels looser.
This is my exact answer except off road I lowered the tire pressure to approximately 10-12 psi. I run this tire pressure on every tire I use front and back. For me, and this is subjective per personal feel and experience, 18 psi. for any tire I use is too high off road for my personal taste but I understand we'll all like something a bit different.

This fall I put the 241 and I don't have enough riding time on it yet, but there is something just off with it that I just can't pin point. It washed out on me a couple times where I hadn't had the same problem with the 244. With the 241 I was expecting this "amazing I can't believe it feeling" and to be honest it feels about the same as the 244. I did notice it seems the 241 self-cleans mud and snow better than the 244 but too early to tell.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
This is my exact answer except off road I lowered the tire pressure to approximately 10-12 psi. I run this tire pressure on every tire I use front and back. For me, and this is subjective per personal feel and experience, 18 psi. for any tire I use is too high off road for my personal taste but I understand we'll all like something a bit different.

This fall I put the 241 and I don't have enough riding time on it yet, but there is something just off with it that I just can't pin point. It washed out on me a couple times where I hadn't had the same problem with the 244. With the 241 I was expecting this "amazing I can't believe it feeling" and to be honest it feels about the same as the 244. I did notice it seems the 241 self-cleans mud and snow better than the 244 but too early to tell.
Hey Admiral, what kind of surfaces did the 241 washout on? In the dirt, mud and gravel here in NY I was amazed at the traction I got out of my 241. Of course I ran the stock front tire for 5000 miles so a ski on the front may have been an improvement. The 241 is slower to lean into a corner on the pavement though.

Tom

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Hey Admiral, what kind of surfaces did the 241 washout on? In the dirt, mud and gravel here in NY I was amazed at the traction I got out of my 241. Of course I ran the stock front tire for 5000 miles so a ski on the front may have been an improvement. The 241 is slower to lean into a corner on the pavement though.

Tom
241 Pushed out on some semi loose sandy/dirt combo soil (best way I can describe it) and I didn't expect it to do that. I have never had the same feeling at the same corner with the stock or 244 tire. Mud I ride thru is usually some puddles which I ride around the edge anyway and the 241 did fine there. On the gravel road it did fine also. I will say I was very comfortable with the 241 in deeper sand when I was riding in the Parma Play area. So comfortable that I really wasn't paying attention to the tires. So, kind of hard to explain that it did fine in medium to deep sand but washed out on just the semi-loose stuff. After this happened a couple times in the same turn, knowing what it was gonna do I was ready for it and didn't have any more issues. It still would wash out a bit, I just adapted to it.

I have the opposite feel than you do in turns with the 241. For the last year, I had been using a stock front tire with either the stock rear tire or the Ceros. With these combo's, I felt I had to lean harder for it to lean into a corner.

Then I put the 241 on and expected it to be difficult to lean just like the stock tire. However, just the opposite happened. It leaned so quickly it caught me off guard just a bit. It didn't matter which rear tire I was using. So, I kind of like the 241 on pavement.

This is why it's so hard to recommend tires to anyone. 10 people can have the same exact tire combo and all 10 of us would probably say something different.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
241 Pushed out on some semi loose sandy/dirt combo soil (best way I can describe it) and I didn't expect it to do that. I have never had the same feeling at the same corner with the stock or 244 tire. Mud I ride thru is usually some puddles which I ride around the edge anyway and the 241 did fine there. On the gravel road it did fine also. I will say I was very comfortable with the 241 in deeper sand when I was riding in the Parma Play area. So comfortable that I really wasn't paying attention to the tires. So, kind of hard to explain that it did fine in medium to deep sand but washed out on just the semi-loose stuff. After this happened a couple times in the same turn, knowing what it was gonna do I was ready for it and didn't have any more issues. It still would wash out a bit, I just adapted to it.

I have the opposite feel than you do in turns with the 241. For the last year, I had been using a stock front tire with either the stock rear tire or the Ceros. With these combo's, I felt I had to lean harder for it to lean into a corner.

Then I put the 241 on and expected it to be difficult to lean just like the stock tire. However, just the opposite happened. It leaned so quickly it caught me off guard just a bit. It didn't matter which rear tire I was using. So, I kind of like the 241 on pavement.

This is why it's so hard to recommend tires to anyone. 10 people can have the same exact tire combo and all 10 of us would probably say something different.
I was trying to explain the feeling to TP awhile back and I kept using the word "slow" to turn into a sharp corner on the pavement. Maybe what I should say instead is that it takes more "input" to initiate the lean. It sticks like glue it's just a different feeling on pavement.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
I'd like to try a 241 but run a 244. I've been happy with it.

My bike has extra gravity that most of yours don't have. Washing out takes effort. :p

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'd like to try a 241 but run a 244. I've been happy with it.

My bike has extra gravity that most of yours don't have. Washing out takes effort. :p
Me too. I see the critiques of the 244 and the praise for the 241. But, so far, the 244 is just fine for me. I do find that I need to make sure I sit well centered on the bike. Not too far back. The 244 seems to want more "forward weight" than the stock tire. But, it was 15 years old so who knows? I love the way it grips on a side hill.

18 psi on pavement and 10 to 12 on serious off road. Gravel roads? 12 to 15 psi and it rides like dream.

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
I can honestly say I have zero experience of either tire, and I’m grateful for that – the Shinko not being native to the UK, this means the choice(s) are “not my problem”

However, I have had the vicarious pleasure of reading about the variety of rider experiences on here, and can come to some conclusions

The 244 is noticeably heavier than the 241, and this goes a long way to explaining why it often matches well to an ATV rear. Riding style / position may come into play as well, so it depends on how much weight your body puts over the front wheel – we’re all different in that respect – so it also becomes a matter of “balance”

Whether or not the “turn in” is critical is a matter of “getting used to it”, and again, this is also where the matter of weight balance of the rider over the wheels will come into play

It seems to me, that with a bit of adaptation and the use of a ring spanner to adjust the rake on the handlebars, you could go out on a 200 mile ride and come home perfectly happy with either tire

The 244 is only heavy until you get used to it, while the 241 seems a more” familiar” weight, but can also take some getting used to – but in any event, both are far superior to the stock front, and by definition, that also takes some getting used to

Some people view the “Golden boy” (244) as “the homicidal ring of death”, (but judges should be careful of voicing opinions)

Me ? – I’d play it safe and go for the 241 - but until I’m forced to make that choice, the Hiedenau K60 is just fine ……….

1 - 20 of 48 Posts