TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
simple question.....how do they perform differently? A year ago everyone here swore by the 244 and now the 241 seems to be the "it" tire. I've never gotten anything but great advice here, and before I buy my new front tire I want to be educated enough about the performance difference to make a smart choice. My OEM tire is done. Cheers! J

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I have run the Golden Boy (244) and never found that it hooked up on roots, loom and wet clay. I went to the MT43 (trials) and have been pleased with it under all conditions, especially roots, loom and clay.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I can't give a definitive comparison. I've used the 241 on the front of my tw's and as a front and rear set on much bigger and poweful dirt bikes.
Trials like tread patterned tires have kind of gotten pigeon hole because of the popularity of motoX and more specifically superX.
If you want to ride around groomed tracks that are properly maintained, i.e. watered often and graded, with loose loamy dirt, then a motoX type of tire is what you need. And you will be trail braking into corners, downshifting, throttling up and sliding through the corner and into the straights.
Trials tires do like to be slid around and power slid through corners. Plus they won't last long used like that.

A lot of trail riders like the grip and control that the trial tire tread pattern offers.

Sorry for not answering your question.
I've become a believer in the trials type of tire. But they aren't good for everything and not for deeper mud. They work decently on road, dry or wet, and have more traction on Rocky terrain.

I don't think you will go wrong with either. But I favor the 241 now. The pirelli mt43 is good too but weighs more and costs more.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I really like the 244 in the mud we have around here, but I haven't tried the 241. It seems like the 241 would be better in a drier environment with the closely spaced knobs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I ran the MT44 on my TW for a while. As previously stated it is much bigger and heavier than the 241. I had to relearn how to ride it. The tread spacing seams to be a little further apart than the 241. Also you can run some pretty low pressures on MT and the shear size of it makes it much easier to roll up and over stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to go with the 241. I ordered it on Amazon 48hrs ago for $52 and just received it. The seller was BikeBandit Parts. Kudos to them for the good price and ridiculously fast shipping. Gotta wait til Monday to get it installed. I'm expecting a big improvement over OEM based on what you guys have said. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I decided to go with the 241. I ordered it on Amazon 48hrs ago for $52 and just received it. The seller was BikeBandit Parts. Kudos to them for the good price and ridiculously fast shipping. Gotta wait til Monday to get it installed. I'm expecting a big improvement over OEM based on what you guys have said. Fingers crossed!
I ordered the same tire (Shinko SR241 Front/Rear Dual Sport Tire - 4.00-18/Blackwall) on Amazon.com and from BikeBandit Parts on June 7 and it's still stuck 'preparing for shipment.' Oh well- I'm not in a hurry.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
If I run my 244 below 16 psi, it does wander around the trail a bit. A little harsher ride but better handling at 18 psi.
Wheelies come easier with the 241. :p

·
Registered
583 Posts
I wore out a 244 and now currently run a 241 up front. Either one is leaps and bounds better then OEM. Although I haven't put a lot of miles on the 241 so far I prefer it over the 244.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I wore out a 244 and now currently run a 241 up front. Either one is leaps and bounds better then OEM. Although I haven't put a lot of miles on the 241 so far I prefer it over the 244.
What kind of riding do you do?

·
Registered
583 Posts
The TW is now mainly used for off road and occasional street rides in the winter when the weather is agreeable. The trails up here are mainly dirt, mud and rocks and there is usually a lot of water. I occasionally take it to the beach and play in the sand. The 241 is a definite improvement over the 244 in the sand.
I have taken it on two extended adventure rides of over 4000km each. Once to NFLD where my brother in law and I toured the entire west coast as far north and south as you can travel. The next trip was from home here in NS,through New Brunswick, Quebec, across the Trans Labrador Highway, down the west coast of Newfoundland and on home. The highway riding on those two trips put most of the wear on the 244 although I did get over 20000 total out of it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dubster, I'm glad to here that you like its performance in sand, as that is my primary off road use. I got it installed yesterday morning and have only had it on the road in both wet and dry conditions, and could not be happier. Huge improvement over OEM.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts