TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have mulled over the boards for the best option dirt and street front tire. I know these all have the same tread pattern but the compounds differ. Sounds like the kenda is softer than the shinko has any one tried both and preferred one over the other? looks like most are going with the shinko here. Has anyone tried the IRC GP1? What were your thoughts on that tire? I notice it cost more than the other two. I recently bought Mark in Washington bike. He changed the front to a tw302 it's good on the street not great in the gravel. I will be riding mostly hard pack dirt but some gravel forest service and blm roads and street.

When I am just out for a quick ride it will be street. When I go with a group of guys it's street to get to the off road camping so 60/40 street off road. Any input is appreciated. I have learned a lot scouring these boards some great info and sharp members here. Thanks Sly

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
It's virgin territory, more or less.

Not a lot of people have used these tires for long enough to get wear comparisons. Even fewer have tried more than one.

I've used all three in the REAR of larger, heavier dualsports with gobs more horsepower and have very definite opinions about them in their "normal" intended use.

The same goes for their skinny 21" counterparts up front. But that's's comparing apples to oranges.

We'll see how they all shake out as REAR tires on the FRONT of a TW.

Try the IRC and let us know how it works/wears.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Do us a favor and take measurements and weights if you can.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I've run a 270 and currently have a 244, both in 5.10-18. Barely a wink of difference between the two. Best i can tell is that at extreme lean angles and the associated insanely high cornering speeds, the 270 gets squirrely, then lets go, and the 244 hangs in there longer before letting go, but gives no warning. Shop for price and don't worry about it, because unless you're a peg-dragging lunatic, you won't be able to tell them apart.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys looks like no one has tried the IRC GP1 probably due to the extra cost for the same tire... I am still debating on going with the tried and proven 244. Or taking one for the team and trying the IRC out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks Guys looks like no one has tried the IRC GP1 probably due to the extra cost for the same tire... I am still debating on going with the tried and proven 244. Or taking one for the team and trying the IRC out.

I have the IRC GP1 in my shed. Will be mounting it soon. The shinko was sold out in 5.10 last fall when I bought this tire. Read good reviews from other bikes (supermoto conversions to knobbies) using this tire. When I have it mounted and in use I will post up.

Dusty

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the IRC GP1 in my shed. Will be mounting it soon. The shinko was sold out in 5.10 last fall when I bought this tire. Read good reviews from other bikes (supermoto conversions to knobbies) using this tire. When I have it mounted and in use I will post up.

Dusty

Is it heavier than the shinko? Thanks let me know what you think of it still on the fence here

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am not sure about the overall performance of the Shinko,as I just had one installed this week and tested it offroad today,but it beats the stocker hands down.It feels way more planted and inspires a whole lot more confidence than the stock tire did in loose gravel and mud.Even had it on some slushy ice without any major drama.Next time out I will head for some sand.

It feels ok on the pavement also.Apparently it was a bear to balance and took 13 weights.I went with the 5.10-18.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Interesting these 3 tires have similar tread pattern. I suspect all three of these are much better than the stock. I've yet to hear someone say the stock tires are better than any of these.

Only comments I could add to Dubster', which I agree with, are when off-road riding, even on trails, I have much more confidence with the tire aired down to around 10-12 psi. I don't feel the same confidence riding off-road with the tires at near highway tire pressures.

I'll probably never feel real comfortable in sand, especially deeper sand. But I'll keep doing it anyway, just not comfortably. I treat sand as the enemy waiting to ambush me! ha ha.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I am not sure about the overall performance of the Shinko,as I just had one installed this week and tested it offroad today,but it beats the stocker hands down.It feels way more planted and inspires a whole lot more confidence than the stock tire did in loose gravel and mud.Even had it on some slushy ice without any major drama.Next time out I will head for some sand.

It feels ok on the pavement also.Apparently it was a bear to balance and took 13 weights.I went with the 5.10-18.

Ahhhaa!! I'm not the only one! The shop owner was kinda surprised at how much it took.

My 244 needed lots of weights to balance. Let me know if yours feels off balance now and then.

I'm hoping I just need to change the fork oil.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I love sand. it separates the men from the boys. I especially like stopping next to someone on a 650 or bigger and offering to help them pick it up, then starting from a dead stop in the middle of the pit to ride to solid ground where I can use the kickstand. Kind of embarassing for them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ahhhaa!! I'm not the only one! The shop owner was kinda surprised at how much it took.

My 244 needed lots of weights to balance. Let me know if yours feels off balance now and then.

I'm hoping I just need to change the fork oil.

The front end seems to "bounce" a bit around 60kph....sort of like driving on uneven pavement.Above and below 60 it feels just fine.

I just painted the 13 balance weights black today.They were grey and looked like crap against the black rim.

I may have to try some of that "Ride On" stuff.Let us know how it works Dustyg.

Admiral:I had the tires at 18lbs the other day. I will have to try them at 10-12psi and see how they feel.I will be good and careful on the sand....I crashed my V-Strom last August and busted my shoulder blade and lost the rest of the riding season...I don't need to do that again any time soon.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I love sand. it separates the men from the boys. I especially like stopping next to someone on a 650 or bigger and offering to help them pick it up, then starting from a dead stop in the middle of the pit to ride to solid ground where I can use the kickstand. Kind of embarassing for them.

Not really fair comparing a heavy 650 with a lot lighter TW. If you were to put the "boys" on TW's and the "men" on klr's who do you think would kick who's ass? I put my money on the "boys".

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Not really fair comparing a heavy 650 with a lot lighter TW. If you were to put the "boys" on TW's and the "men" on klr's who do you think would kick who's ass? I put my money on the "boys".
Actually, my KLR had no trouble in sand. Must of been the loose screw between the grips and seat.

And what's with your pre-occupation with ass?

Never mind, I don't want to know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put the 5.10x18 GP-1 on the front of my 2008 TW as I could not stand the sketchy feeling of the stock Bridgestone tire. I have used the GP-1's on other bikes and had good performance and handling with an average life span. The GP-1 is considerably heavier than the Bridgestone however the traction and control is vastly improved, and you get use to the weight quickly. I run about 16 PSI on and off road. With the light weight of the TW I can envision this tire lasting a long time. I ride a lot of rocky jeep / mining roads and I have not lost any knobs. I think I will go back to these tires for my DR-650. They were much better off road than the Pirelli Scorpion AT's although they wore out considerably faster. I have not tried any of the Shinko tires although I read they are good as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts