TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'v shelled out the R 1 495 ($ 100.00) for a Shinko E 700 130/80-18 to replace the Death Wing on my TW. Reason behind it is that we don't get a wider than 3,5 in Shinko SR 241 locally. The death wing has about 4mm (0.15in) thread left on it, so it needs replacement any way.
I prefer the wider tire as we have mostly sand here and the floating effect suites me better than having a front wheel that sinks into the sand. It also has a 4 ply rating
I'll report back once I've fit the tire and took it for a ride. One you tube vid the comment was that the 700 was a 50% improvement over the death wing and the 241 was a 50 % improvement over the 700. I guess time will tell for now, the tire has a 60/40 on/off bias.
Guess i'd better replace the Kenda 180/80-14 M/C (80/20) rear with the original too as I don't do the 80 mile commute to my previous job and back, I must admit that it does well in sand, harder gravel roads and rock, but is useless in thick mud. I used it on wet gravel roads and it is a bit squeamish, but controllable. I won't trow it away as it still has about 50% thread left and it's always good to have a spare tucked away somewhere.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sooooo last night on the ride home the front almost washed out twice on the road home. As soon as I got home I took the death wing off and fit the E 700, my gf son helped me and he pinched the tube. I put slime in to try and seal the leak but with it being pinched on the rim side it doesn't want to seal properly. I pumped it up and took it down the road to work the stuff around, no dice. After removing the tube and airing it up I manually tilted and shook the tube and it sealed. Left it for about "3 cigarette lengths" to dry a bit and put it back. It promptly started leaking again?. Left it till this morning and pumped it again, still leaking.
So now I've got the ideal excuse to make the front tubeless.
The E 700 has a lot more grip on the sand and gravel than the death wing and it looks awesome on the TW.
I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I eventually got to ride the Dub to work this morning and the E700 seems a bit squirrly on the sand (fine and thick) and on the tar road cornering at 80 kmh(50mph) it was wobbling around a bit. I run it at 20 psi for now, but I'll play around with the pressure and see what I find.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I loved my 700 until I went riding in capitol Forest, it's great on the road, good in sand and mud, but will get a little squirrelly at high speeds and in gravel.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After about 40 miles on the new E 700 on tar and sand/gravel road I'm NOT impressed I stared out at 1 bar, then went up to 1.5 bar, but it's not getting better. I'll try 0.8 bar and see how it goes. I did a short stint on gravel and the front wants to wash out in corners, more so than the "Death Wing". I think I should maybe give it a few more miles to "settle" and see how it goes. I'ts not balanced yet which could be a factor on road, but since I'm running "slime" in the tire the balance will be affected all the time.
I've contacted Shinko and waiting for a reply from them. If worst comes to that I'll put the death wing back and use the Shinko on the rear of the boy's XL.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After some more testing it seems that the Kenda rear tire is adding to the problem with the front tire as it 80/20 on road bias, so I'll be fitting the original rear and see where I end up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so last night I swapped the Kenda out for the Bridgestone on the rear and the 46 for the 50 sprocket, made a HUGE difference at the rear, but the Shinko is still squirreling on the sand and dirt. I must admit that I do enjoy the sound of the "knobly" rear tire on the tar. I run front and rear at 0.8 bar ATM.
The sprocket change made her much more responsive as acceleration is greatly improved, but she now sounds like I'm doing 60mph at 50mph, but the acceleration from 50 to 60 has improved quite a bit. Not that I'll be doing much riding at 60, 50-55 will be about top speed for me on road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts