TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Shinko e 700

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TW-Brian 
#1 ·
Saw a few posts here of people going with the 700 but no follow ups. So alas I will take my turn with the club to beat this horse.
after days of review reading and video watching. I decided to replace my 460mi front tire with a shinko 700 stocker is out of round.
I used the 130-80/18 size. And when placed side by side they are almost the same. I can feel the tire has some weight but at less than 500 miles I’m not used to anything yet.
I will update this thread after the upcoming weekend with my initial thoughts and review

See less See more
#2 ·
Update. Tire mounted $25 at local shop. Not balanced yet. tire is just as tall mounted than oem.
First ride review. Tire is heavier than oem some nimbleness of the front end is gone. Oem front would not hold a line in a turn. This tire holds the road surface very well. Feels much more stable than oem death wing.

#5 ·
Second ride update.
went for a 50mile ride. Already accustomed to the new tire. nimble street capabilities are back. Bike so much more stable when riding.No longer does it track into ruts on the road. Tire rolls smooth even without balancing.
id recommend this tire as a strong contender for. 60/40 rider street/dirt. Haven’t gotten it off road yet due to an injury that makes riding already a little difficult. Will report back after I test it on a local trail ride.

#6 ·
I like it! Almost looks like a TW34 sized up for the front.

#7 ·
I chose the 130/80-18 Shinko E-700 too.

But mine goes on the rear. :D .....of the XT250....

Have not had a chance to try them out as I am stuck in FL rather than NC where I wish I were.

jb

Reactions: Ken
#10 ·
Hey JB, where'd you get that rim?
How do you think that style would work for the front of a TW if you could get one custom drilled for the TW spoke count?
The rim is a genuine Yamaha part, but only available in Japan....ordered from Webike Japan.
It's pricey, but on a par with what Woody's charges, or a custom rim from Pro Cycle.
And it comes with the sprocket and disc rotor already mounted.

Oddly enough, they do not offer a tubeless rim for the front of the XT.

Don"t know if it could be modified to fit the front of the TW.
It would depend on the axle size, the width of the hub, and if the disc caliper could be mounted.

Don't think the rim is available by itself (although I think I saw a guy on Advrider with a rim, but not sure...it's a DID rim).

jb

#9 ·
off road ride review. went for ride int dog valley canyon. with stock tire i was doing 5mph and tire would take me where it wanted to go. alot of wandering and i didnt go more that 5 miles in.

with new shinko tire goes where i point it. small gravel to larger stones/rocks didnt feel like hitting a iceberg anymore. my tires were probably more inflated than most in this type but i rode there and back.
was able to go about 35miles in. avg 15-30mph (new dirt rider) confidence gained a few levels.

on way home was able to scrape pegs and tire held asphalt very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.