TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been reading up about available, or lack of, tire choices and had settled on the shinko 241 to change out the deathwing, which has already got me both on n off road ? problem is I live in Spain. Nobody stocks them here but I did find another 2 European stockists but they both can only offer me the tubeless 242 telling me it can be used with tube. Does anyone have any experience of this? I have also been looking at the Pirelli MT21 and Maxxis M6006. I ride mostly gravel tracks, woods n will be doing rocky mountain tracks. I havent seen much mud but would want something capable if I do. Beach riding might also be an option. I know it's impossible to get a tire to do all this well but would be good just to have some fresh opinions on the alternatives as I've read many many opinions but they all seem to be older posts.
I've only just bought the bike 3 months ago n I'm new to off roading. It's a 2008 n has both electric and kickstart ?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I run the MT43 on my TW and love it. Another tire to look into is the Mitas ET01.
A trials tire will hook up in all the conditions you ride in. You just need to keep the pressure low. I run around 8 psi.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi Ash and welcome here. A tuneless tire can be run with a tube, but converting the rim to tubeless is a better option for me. Tubeless has the advantage of not immediately going flat if you have a puncture.

I still have the deathwing on my bike since I bought it 18 months ago and as soon as I have the money I'll look for a replacement.

Just got a catlougue from Shinko in South Africa and I see they list a E700 in 130/80-18. Has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
20,648 Posts
One can seal the spokes as Andre points out and simply run the available Shinko 242 tubeless.
Spoke sealing is not a difficult task, saves weight, and can add flexibility to a trailside flat repair.

Reactions: Keep On Dubbin!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input.
I dont think I wana go the tubeless conversion route, at least not at the minute anyway, but it's always an option.
The Mitas I did not know about, good call. Similar to but much cheaper than the pirelli, although I have always had praise for pirelli tires on road bikes so at least I know I'm getting quality there but at a price. Actually I would probably try the Mitas rather than a tube in a tubeless shinko as they look a very similar tire n I've heard good things about other mitas, again for road bikes. The Heidenkau I forgot about, well didnt enter my head for the TW but must take a look at that too. I see quite a lot of them here. Decent price too, just need to read up more on it as off road tire coz I had considered it for the Triumph but bad reviews for road especially in the wet. Got Avon TrailRiders on it, great tires!!
At the moment i wana buy cheaper as the Triumph needs new shoes soon too n I just wana get that damn deathwing off before it gets third time lucky with me lol
I also ride on the road to get to trails though havent ventured too far yet.
How do u find each tire for on road grip?

·
Super Moderator
5,457 Posts
There are two types of Hiedenau – the K60 and the K60 Scout: The difference is in the tread pattern

The (front) K60 is equally fine on the road as it is in the rough, pretty tough tire, it will get you home with no air at all inside it

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I liked the K60 front, and it lasted over 30 000 km, but it is getting pretty worn.
I did not like the K60 solid central rubber as it did not have enough grip off road for my liking. It lasted over 20 000 km which was nice and it still had a bit of life left.
I have the more aggressive Motoz Adventure tire on order for my VStrom to go along with the rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Must check out the Motoz, the back one looks good. As for Heidenau I'd defo not want the K60 scout with the smooth centre tread. Watched a YouTube video recently with some guy on an adventure bike testing it n it was terrible off road. I'm looking something more off road based like 80/20 but just considering their road manners too. Still no Maxxis folk? Seen a few reviews of people who like it but say the steering is heavier. I went up from 110 to 120 on the Bonneville n prefer the steering with the bigger tire although not sure how that's gona affect me on a dirt bike. I also went up 130 to 140 on the rear, so...? ?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The Motoz Tractionator Adventurer tire I have is rated 25% road and 75% off road. It is noisy on the hwy, but it is a beast off road. Even when fully aired it has gotten me through some sand washes down in Arizona and California. When aired down to 20 PSI, it inspires confidence to take on terrain that my bike was not really designed to do.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
150/70B 17

1 - 13 of 13 Posts