TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Shipping a dirtbike motor

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  xdac 
#1 ·
I dont have the slightest idea on where to start to ship a dirtbike motor...ANy ideas? Do i have to crate ot up or can i ship it in a milk crate thats wrapped in plastic?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I shipped a DR650 engine from Texas to Alaska in one of the small but strong plastic storage tubs from Lowe's.

Drained the oil and stuffed in crumpled paper to cushion and contain any stray oil and duct taped the lid on very well by wrapping the tape around the tub.

I think it took the whole roll of tape but there was no way it was coming out or leaking!

For shipping rates I went online and searched "Freight Forwarders" for the best rates.

I also checked UPS & FedEx but they were by far the highest as expected.

The DR engine boxed up was 128 Lbs.

Shipping to Alaska is horrendous so the best rate I got was still $228.

That was less than HALF what UPS & FedEx slowest service ground rates were.

The next lowest rate was $300 and the highest came in at over $700!

If it is under the USPS max weight (75 Lbs I think) that may be the cheapest way.

Depending on where you are shipping too of course, UPS ground might be cheap.

Shipping International? You better sit down before getting the rates.

Hope this helps

#4 ·
Here's how I shipped a TW engine from California to Washington, DC. The same crate was then used to return the donor engine to me. I built the crate on top of a mini dolly from Harbor Freight which was just the right size and fit the TW engine perfectly. The total weight of the crated engine was just under 100 lbs. and FedEX charged $96.00 from CA to DC. The wheels worked great for moving it around and dropping it off at FedEX.

I have also used Greyhound as a lower priced alternative to UPS and FedEX. They are also not as particular about carrying oddball things and how they are packaged.

#6 ·
TW-Brian; did you affix the motor to the mini dolly?

JagLite; that's what I've used several times. Only; I affix the motor to a piece of plywood cut to the size of the bottom. Then; affix the plywood to the container with carriage bolts. You don't really need any packing materials around the motor that way.

Ride on Daddy-O.

#10 ·
That's a great idea. Ill call a few places on Monday. Currently it fits in a milk crate so I might leave it in that. It's just going from San Diego to phx, I just don't have time time away from work and watching football to drive and get it

#11 ·
Hey Katt, I'm riding my wing over to my sisters for Christmas and could pick it up for you and bring it back. if it is wrapped up pretty good, I can just set it on the back seat. If it is already crated, I can take my pak it rak and do something with it. Save you a few bucks. BTW, when are we going to ride. I finally got my TW back to normal after my wreck. <G> Do I still owe you a lunch somewhere?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.