TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one here shipped a used gas tank? I just went to the Post Office and they said no way and had me leave the store with it right away. I have a member that wants to buy it so how do I safely ship it? I don't want some kind of hazmat fine coming down on me.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
i've shipped three or four without ever having had a problem. i guess i never told them it was a tank. as long as there is no gas fumes it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just received a Suzuki TS250 gas tank that smelled to high heaven of varnished gasoline in the US mail yesterday. Cost 17.64 to send across the country to me. Tie it up in a garbage bag, box it up, and take it to USPS at night time and use the kiosk to purchase the postage and drop it right in the chute.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I use a shipping service that has always been cool with my various stuff, and boxes it for me usually. I sat a tank on the counter without issue and had it shipped. Do try to get rid of the smell a bit if you don't wanna alarm anybody. Rinse and fog the tank, you should be fine. If you've only got uptight postal workers nearby, just use the bag and box method mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Either wash it out or drain it and let it air out for a few days anf you will be ok. I work for one of the two big shipping companies and we ship all kinds of stuff to places like sunbelt tool rental etc and all we require is that the gas and oils are drained out. I wouldnt think it would be a problem with ups or fedex ground. I shipped a used clark tank through fedex ground with no problem.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The last post got me curious.. how does exhaust fumes cancel out the gas fumes? I started searching online but ended up reading about welding gas tanks instead of simply making them stop stinking.

What's going on here with the exhaust and unburned gas fumes that they end up canceling each other out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts