TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you use for shipping stuff like motorcycle parts? I don’t have a lot of experience and I’m shocked how expensive it is. Primarily US 48 states. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
United States Postal Service flat rate boxes with included tracking numbers are the most economical. Plus, the long haul portion of the transit is usually taken care of by FedEx so it's less likely to get lost en route.

I use UPS, FedEx, and Ontrac for most of my shipping but that's only because my customers have their own accounts with them. Shipping through them is expensive without a volume commercial account.

To give you an idea of the price differential: a single book shipped two zones via UPS is usually 7+ bucks with my slightly lower than retail negotiated rates. But if Amazon returns a defective book back to me they will bill me a chargeback fee of about $0.45 for the return shipping. I'm not sure that's their actual cost, but it probably is.

Shipping has gotten expensive for everyone but the big boys.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Shipping parts I have sold has always been a thorn in my side and it is often just as big a thorn with parts I have bought.
I needed 2 tiny O rings from a regular supplier of Yamaha parts that cost a total of $3.20 plus shipping and it came to $12.90. That is $9.70 for shipping alone and when the small envelope arrived the postage said $0.66.
I have to give Don and Marc at Cycle racks the gold star where product and shipping is concerned. They charged me $199 for my last rack with shipping included and it was here to my NY home from Idaho in 3 days. I then sold a used cycle rack to a member here and when I tried to ship it all of the usual companies went strictly by size and wanted between $35-$42 for shipping. Yes, having a corporate or business account on both ends makes it considerably cheaper but not many of us here do enough shipping to make that possible.

GaryL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts