TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
30 x 90.....30 x 45 with concrete floor.... Mechanical work, tractor work, wood work, skinning work... Any ideas where to start? There are things that have been stuck in here since '55...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I solved that problem... Built a 25x35 shop... and moved out of the garage that had all the manly disciplines imbedded inside, carpenter, plumber, electrician, auto mechanic, electronic engineering junk, RC airplanes, motor cycles, VW's.. Not much room to do much...hahahaaa. So my new shop is strictly auto/motorcycle and the garage now has the other stuff and enough room for the wife car. Our 2 car carport just has 1 vehicle in it now...

0708161733a.jpg 0321161858a.jpg 0327161935.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
jtstdub, what type of insulation did you use? Helps reflect the light too!
The insulation is Prodex. Installed by the Building install team.
The main reason I wanted insulation is for condensation....

Prodex Total Insulation 48 Inch

Some folks like the Prodex product others do not... Just like everything else.

These 100+ days of heat it is working.... I open the 8x7 rollup and a door on the opposite side and the temperature in the shop is lower than outside...

A huge + is the reflectivity for the lights... It is a wow factor... As you can see in the picture of the light blue VW... That is a late night shot... The other shot is a daytime shot and you can see the light being reflected very well. I only have 4ea 4 ft led light fixtures. 2 end to end and another 2 5 ft away on the next truss. they are 13ft up there!

These from Costco:

The bad is the bulbs are not replaceable. Oh well the price was good and I had tested the light so I knew that they would do very well.

http://www.costco.com/4’-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain-2-pack.product.100284402.html

Jim

·
Registered
200 Posts
Flathats,
I have found that lining certain walls similar to what's in jtstdub's pics above has helped me out a bunch for organization and keeping crap from winding up just laying where ever on top of other things etc;. They are also good because you can quickly scan to see things and locate them immediately. i tend to group "like" things or things that are used together and so on.

The ones I bought a long time ago and have served me well are the ones sold at HD or Lowe's and just about anywhere else. Walmart even has them I think. They are some composite plastic type deal about 3-4 feet wide and approximately 18-24 inches deep. They have the shelves and posts plug into them. Usually they are about 4 feet high within one pack but you can go up higher with additional pieces out of another pack. Currently I have a 30 X 60 pole barn and have them all the way across the back and 6 feet high. Then I have some here or there as needed.

They are simple, easy to assemble, cheaper than most comparable units, light weight, easy to move and rearrange, etc; I have had these foe 15 plus years of hard use and they hold up. Now if ya go throwing trannys and engine blocks on them they'll last about a minute. That said I have also used them in the back of a box truck I have and put 1/2 inch plywood on top of the shelving and they held up well with pretty regular construction tools and beatings. Throwing things like smaller chipping hammers etc; that have some decent weight and rugged metal cases. On and on.

Worked for me then and still does. I have broken one but I did that dumping firewood out of my dump truck into the pole barn and big chunks pummeled one. My fault. Just an idea for what has helped organize me and also a major space saver. Think of it this way.... just one shelving unit at 2' x 4' = 8 SQ FT. Now multiply by 4 shelves = 32 SQ FT for each unit. That same amount the shelves will hold will take up the same space a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood does. Two shelves = 64 SQ FT. Now go toss two full sheets of plywood on your garage floor and see how much space they make you loose.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Here's my method of keeping the clutter down;
Once a year I go through my garage. Anything I haven't used in 3 years gets set aside. 1 year later, if it's still not used, I either sell it, give to a friend or family member, or donate it. Spring is the time I do this Purge. Occasionally I'll get rid of something that I'll need to repurchase, but considering the space restrictions I have, I'd rather have had the space for stuff I use regularly than to loose track of them because of stuff I either never use or so rarely use that it's not worth the space to store it.
If you give the item away to a family or friend, you can always borrow it back. Great way to store occasional stuff; store it at someone else's house!! Ha!

BTW, Jim; I have some great stuff I wanna give you. Long as I can borrow it back when I need to.... Ha! Great looking garage and shop!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think this is addendum #37 and #42 to Murhpy's laws.

#37. Get rid of something and no less than ten days later you will need it and have to go buy it for 3.14159265359 times what you paid for the thing you just got rid of.

#42. The best way to find something you know you have but just can't locate is go buy a new one. Within two days you will find the one you had.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Before I built the shop I always told the wife, " don't move anything, I know where everything is!".

After the move she confiscated the garage... Now I can not find anything, and and and..... she can't either... Well she can find some stuff but.. All we can do is laugh about it... After 49 years of don't touch my junk.... she still does not get it...hahaaaa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts