TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a long dry spell, but I was finally able to get out on the TW for a few hours today. I've wanted to go to the Mail Drop at the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, and since we've had a fair amount of rain lately I thought now would be a good time.

I passed through Cane Beds, Arizona - a small rural community. On the way through I spotted one of my favorite sights, a windmill turning in the breeze.

Up ahead is Elephant Butte. It's supposed to look like an elephant, trunk and all. I can't see it, but I'll take their word for it. I'll be passing through the gap between the buttes in a few minutes.

Edit: OK, I guess from this earlier picture I can see what they're talking about. The long butte on the left is the body, the short butte is the head, and the butte furthest to the right is the trunk - I think. :D

I had hoped with the recent rains the sand would be a little tighter - no such luck. Here I am parked in deep sand under Elephant Butte.

Views off to the northeast.

I fought the deep, loose sand for a few miles, almost biffing it several times, then finally turned around. I'll save the Mail Drop for another day. One the way back I thought I would check out Lost Springs Mesa. I've been told there is a compass rose chiseled into the rock somewhere on the edge of the mesa overlooking the Arizona Strip. The story is local Indians marked the direction of each water source in the area. I would like to find that someday, but not today as the mesa covers a lot of area, and I don't have that much time.

I love this time of year.

I rode pavement out to the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, but decided I would ride the dirt on the way back. I found myself on the Honeymoon Trail. Wildflowers were in bloom everywhere.

Coyote marked his territory. Looks like it must be slim pickings around here! :)

On the way back I stopped at the monument for the Gould's Shearing Corral. The stuff people have found and placed on the monument is close to 100 years old.

Near the monument there was some cactus in bloom.

I love the beauty of nature, and photosynthesis is a miracle to me.

Almost home.

More desert plants in bloom.

It was short, but sweet. I hope you enjoyed the ride.

·
Registered
129 Posts
stunning photos. thank you for sharing them.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Looks like another great ride B-dub, thanks for posting.

I share your reluctant skepticism about some of these place names, I suppose after a long enough time on the trail a fella had to get a little imaginative or go a little crazy! Not sure myself which outcome the preponderance of elephant references points to, though.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I enjoyed it. What is the coyote pick about? Didn't really see anything?
Yes, it is kind of hard to see, but if you look closely you'll see a small coyote dropping at the base of the fence post. I see them quite a bit while out riding around, and was just kidding around about there not being much to eat out there. Could've been from a fox though, I suppose. They're quite a bit smaller than coyotes. I'm glad you enjoyed the report.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like another great ride B-dub, thanks for posting.

I share your reluctant skepticism about some of these place names, I suppose after a long enough time on the trail a fella had to get a little imaginative or go a little crazy! Not sure myself which outcome the preponderance of elephant references points to, though.

Thanks Ben. All I can think of is that elephants were a lot less commonplace back then, at least in North America, and maybe they had heard about or saw a picture of an elephant for the first time and it did really capture their imagination as they were riding along with nothing else to do. What's even funnier is how some of those place names stuck!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Glad you were finally able to get out and about! Guessing you must be super busy these past few months. Anyway, looked like a lot of fun. It's always good to have a planned route and or destination, but like, often times I never make it to my destination or have to abbreviate the route. Mail Drop sounds like it is a fun place to ride.

I don't often pay much attention to the flowers and what not, but when there is color, it will catch my eye. Good job here, lots of color. 2 Thumbs up!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you were finally able to get out and about! Guessing you must be super busy these past few months. Anyway, looked like a lot of fun. It's always good to have a planned route and or destination, but like, often times I never make it to my destination or have to abbreviate the route. Mail Drop sounds like it is a fun place to ride. I don't often pay much attention to the flowers and what not, but when there is color, it will catch my eye. Good job here, lots of color. 2 Thumbs up!
Thanks, Admiral. Yeah, it's pretty sad when you don't have enough time to ride, but that's the way it's been recently. It felt real good to get out again. I'm beginning to think I'll have to ride to the Mail Drop in a rainstorm, or at least right after one. In the loose sand the front tire has a mind of it's own. Either I need a lot more practice riding in the sand, or I need to bolt a skinny tire or maybe a ski on the front so I can maintain directional control better. I don't often see wildflowers that abundantly. I'm glad I was able to see them and share them with you guys.

Looks like a great trip - beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, and you're welcome!

I don't get out that way until August and I hardly ever see it in bloom. These ride reports really help us see what other areas of the world are like from a TW perspective. Thanks for the pics and sharing your ride with us.
It was my pleasure. I also enjoy getting to see where others have been on their TW.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
te desert always has it's beautiful things, but really shows off in spring. thanks for the ride along

1 - 18 of 18 Posts