TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase my first TW and found what looks to be one in good condition on craigslist. Here are the details that I have below. Just curious if you guys think it's a good price.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Price: $2200
Year: 1991
New Tires
New Battery
2,900 miles
"Runs Perfect", "Mint Condition" (It does actually look like it's in very good shape.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Welcome Sbucks. That price is a good asking price, but for that year with those miles, $1500-$1900 might be more realistic. Now mind you-this depends on your "market", how many TWs are available in your area, your budget and your desire to have a TW. If you are able, go see it in person (I'm assuming you've only seen pictures), and check the subframe, skid plate, under the tank/seat, fork seals, chain, sprockets etc. before deciding. Just my two cents. And, let us know what you decide!

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
Low mileage, new tires and battery are always a plus. Try to talk him down a few hundred.

And welcome to the forum!! :D
I am looking to purchase my first TW and found what looks to be one in good condition on craigslist. Here are the details that I have below. Just curious if you guys think it's a good price.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Price: $2200
Year: 1991
New Tires
New Battery
2,900 miles
"Runs Perfect", "Mint Condition" (It does actually look like it's in very good shape.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would try to get him down $1600. At that age, even with all the new stuff done there are a lot of plastics/rubber that could have gotten brittle.

I paid 2200 for my 09 two years ago, but that was a screaming good deal. The guy had two selling for 2500 piece set or both for 4400. Me and a friend were both I the market for a Tdub so it worked out well. Also got some motorcycle tire chocks, 9ft folding ramp, and a hitch rack for a deal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I paid $1600.00 a few years ago for a '99 in Tucson, AZ. It had a clark tank, moose bars, and newer street oriented tires on it. He's a little high, but all the pre 2000 TW's are alike except for the fastest TW of all, the '87.lol His asking price is set so that it's going to be hard to offer him a starting point without seeming to low ball him. I hate when people start so high that I don't even want to contact them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid $1600.00 a few years ago for a '99 in Tucson, AZ. It had a clark tank, moose bars, and newer street oriented tires on it. He's a little high, but all the pre 2000 TW's are alike except for the fastest TW of all, the '87.lol His asking price is set so that it's going to be hard to offer him a starting point without seeming to low ball him. I hate when people start so high that I don't even want to contact them.
That's exactly how I feel. I know he's going to think I'm low balling him with the offer I want to give him.

·
Super Moderator
5,259 Posts
I used to work as a sound engineer - when you couldn't tell if it was coming from the left or the right - that's when it's in the middle

Same deal with house prices - when both the buyer and the seller are uncomfortable with the price - it's about right

There's unlikely to be a clear winner here - just a clear deal ......

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
Go getcha a new one!! ;)
He's not moving off of 2,000...

I did find a brand new 2017 at a dealership listed for 4,099 which sounds like a good deal. Might be time to pursue that instead.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My advice? Wait two weeks (I know, that's hard). Watch the ads. Call this seller back and, if he has not sold, offer $1,000.00. Settle for $1,500.00 If that doesn't work and nothing has come up on craigslist, etc. and you can not wait, go to the dealer.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
TWs here on the east coast are not as popular as out west or in the south. I would start searching dealers within say a 200 mile radius and try to find a left over 2014-2016 they are willing to deal on. 1991 had 2 colors, Black and Purple, I had a Purple one and it is in the picture line up of TWs by the years. I sold it to another forum member for a higher price than the one you are looking at but it had under 700 miles and a lot of extras, upgrades and new parts like X ring chain & sprockets, new tires, tubes, bark busters, bars, grips, new carb and oil cooler. It was pristine in every way. Find a new left over one for around $3500 and make it yours.

GaryL

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a 91 Tw. I think I paid about $2000 for it when it was new, Mine is Blue with a Blue seat & light Blue side panels. I would not sell mine for any less than that.
Out here a good used Tw 200 is just about as hard to find as a good Mule that is for sale.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have a 91 Tw. I think I paid about $2000 for it when it was new, Mine is Blue with a Blue seat & light Blue side panels. I would not sell mine for any less than that.
Out here a good used Tw 200 is just about as hard to find as a good Mule that is for sale.
Go here, http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/10362-tdubs-year-photo-collection.html

Tell us if you have a 1991 or a 1990 model year. I am not great with colors but it sounds like you have a 1990 Robin egg model. in 1991 the color is more like Purple to my old eyes.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts