TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My TW has almost a full tank of gas in it from when I filled it up about 5 months ago. I start it up every week and ride a little bit but at the great mpg that these things get I still have a lot left in the tank. I don't have the opportunity to ride as much as I would like. Hopefully that will change if I am able to move next year. Anyway... I know that I need to get the fuel out so that it doesn't cause problems so my question is should I siphon the gas out or drain it? Can you even drain the fuel on the TW's? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Just put a longer fuel hose on the petcock, run it into a gas can, turn the petcock to reserve and let it flow into the gas can. Taking the gas cap off may let the fuel flow a little faster.
There is a guy on utube who says gas doesn't go bad. He drains it then filters it with (cowboy shirts) he strains all floating particles out then dumps it back in and runs it. Do this at your own risk. I have done something similar with old gas but I use an additive and run it through diluted down with newer gas.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Neither siphoning nor draining will get ALL the fuel out.

If you have ethanol gas in your tank, you do need to drain it and the float bowl. 5 months is a long time for ethanol gas! The only way to get ALL the gas out of the tank is to remove it, empty it upside down, then remove the petcock and complete the draining process, turning it to the left to get out the trapped gas in the right side. If you rinse it with fresh gas, this has the added advantage of cleaning out the inevitable crap that accumulates in the tank and on the filter. I do it every two years. The float bowl can be drained with the little screw at the left side.

The alternative is to drain the tank via the fuel line (on reserve) and fill it with Non-Ethanol gas....this is good for 6 months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have this FUEL MED which is a Yamaha product. Has anyone ever used it? Those who have used it do you like the results? Would this be a good route for me to go or should I still get the fuel out?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I do have this FUEL MED which is a Yamaha product. Has anyone ever used it? Those who have used it do you like the results? Would this be a good route for me to go or should I still get the fuel out?
get it out! you've all ready left it in the tank way toooooo long

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once I get the fuel out is there an additive or something that I should put in the new fuel to help restore the performance and longevity of the engine and carb?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have the same problem as you all the gas in SoCal has ethanol in it. It affects my outboards, motorcycles and generator, plus small engines, weedwacker, chain saw etc. I have been trying to rotate it out and use it in my truck before it goes bad except for the two stoke stuff which is a problem. I don't want to use that in my fuel injected vechicles. If I had a carburetored engine I would burn the two stroke stuff in that. That Yamaha additive is made for this problem but I don’t know how long it will save the gas. If the gas is already old I wouldn’t use it with that additive it’s too late.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Additives DO NOT get the ethanol out but they can help to prolong the Phase Separation E gas goes through. I hate E gas and as you already are aware in S Cal the chances are you are stuck with the crap.

Completely remove the tank. With the petcock still in place vigorously shake the remaining fuel and dump it into a 5 gallon bucket from the fill hole first. Do this outside and while not smoking please. Remove the entire petcock and again shake the remaining fuel and get the rest out through the petcock opening. If you dump this into a clean white bucket you will see all the problems your TW was guaranteed to experience once the fuel settles. Now you must inspect the inside of the tank as best as possible for the left over rust and crud that has formed. If you can see rust you have to fully clean the tank. Let me know and I will post how to do that the way I have had success.

A TW that is often not ridden should never have any E gas in it. You can find Non E gas usually at a marina or if necessary at an air field, those industries are well aware of the ills associated with this garbage fuel. It is perfectly fine in your cars and trucks that get used regularly and refilled often. It is extremely bad in small engines that often sit with the same fuel for months at a time. We demanded a couple of our fuel stations here to carry Non E gas and they listened. It is more expensive and I just filled 6 five gallon jugs for my generator over this winter. I treat it immediately with a double dose of Sea Foam stabilizer because it will sit idle until the power goes off and the generator is employed. Even with pure gas I still rotate the 6 jugs on the first of every month. I pour 5 gallons into my car and replace it with fresh for the generator. Treated pure gas can last for 6 months but even it suffers some loss of octane over that time but it does not go through the Phase Separation that effects E gas. Those who are "Greenies" and believe in ethanol in our fuel supply are welcome to flame me for my personal beliefs. Having to own and depend upon a stand by generator when the pole power is subject to go out for a week at a time has taught me a valuable lesson. If my generator has junk in the tank it might as well be an anchor.

GaryL

·
Registered
562 Posts
Drain it into a can with a longer fuel line. Tip the bike to the petcock side to splash any fuel over the hump inside the tank. Let the rest drain. Put the fuel in your car. Take the tank off and dump it upside down over your oil change pan. Leave the cap off to let the rest evaporate. I feel safer leaving race fuel than marine gas in the tank although it cost more. Ill pay anything not to deal with bad fuel problems. It's crazy how much modern fuel can ruin engines

My friend left So Cal fuel in his daughters quad for 9 months. He all but had to throw the quad in the garbage from rotten gas. He also left fuel in his XR650 he last rode in Mexico for the same amount of time. Only the XR started in 3 kicks with the Mexican gas in it. Go tell that story to Trump!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Wait until they increase it to 15 to 20 percent! We may as well just junk all of our stuff and go back to riding horses.
In some places they already do have 15% or E 85 fuels but most engine manufacturers say DO NOT USE it because they don't want to deal with the warranty issues associated with it. Finding the right materials for fuel tanks, lines, hoses, seals and O rings is proving to be hard and various types of metals and aluminum can't handle the corrosive effects of this junk.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
In some places they already do have 15% or E 85 fuels but most engine manufacturers say DO NOT USE it because they don't want to deal with the warranty issues associated with it. Finding the right materials for fuel tanks, lines, hoses, seals and O rings is proving to be hard and various types of metals and aluminum can't handle the corrosive effects of this junk.

GaryL
And yet the E.P.A. is pushing harder for even more. Don't they know horse farts are bad?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it were me, I would drain out what you can by pulling the fuel line off the carb and drain it into a gas can. Then I would fill it back up with non-ethanol premium and add a fuel stabilizer. Then I would turn the petcock to off, start the motor and run it until it runs out of fuel. This way there shouldn't be much of anything in the carb. Also, start driving it more.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yea, I would say drain it. Then you flush out any crap. Me, I top it off with non-ethnol fuel and add stay-bil. Of course I may run mine during the winter too. I've always just heard about condensation in empty spaces. So I keep mine full in winter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I thought E-85 was 85% ethanol and only 15% gas, and that's why it's so dangerous. But, I'm sure I could be wrong.

·
Registered
107 Posts
E gas don't help us one bit. it's just money to a industry created by our government to supply it. As usual, we are getting screwed in the end.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I thought E-85 was 85% ethanol and only 15% gas, and that's why it's so dangerous. But, I'm sure I could be wrong.
E 85 is 15% ethanol. Funny how they label one blend as E 10 and the other as E 85. If they would or could be honest it would be E 90 and E 85.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts