Well she only has 1100 miles on it and the 1st 1000 by previous owners

was gentle road stuff.

I however have and intend on trail riding lots of thick puddles

so while the sprockets are still near new should I just get an O ring now

Note I am Cheap and poor, so what's a suggestion

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Others might disagree, but at 1100 miles on stock sprockets/chain, I would consider the sprockets too worn to not kill the next chain. I'd go ahead and replace the sprockets (stock works fine for me; Stadium Yamaha is a good online vendor) and get a DID o-ring chain from Lytle in Arizona I believe. They sell on eBay.

For me, that's around 120 bucks, but if lubed, good for a lot of miles.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well she only has 1100 miles on it and the 1st 1000 by previous owners

was gentle road stuff.

I however have and intend on trail riding lots of thick puddles

so while the sprockets are still near new should I just get an O ring now

Note I am Cheap and poor, so what's a suggestion

Ride the hell out of it, keep adjusting that chain until its toast. It should be good for a few thousand more miles.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ride the hell out of it, keep adjusting that chain until its toast. It should be good for a few thousand more miles.

Definitely. I don't know personally if the stock sprockets would be trashed at 1100 miles, but if they are you may as well get plenty of use out of them and the chain too. I got 8500 out of mine before replacing the whole drive system and despite adjustments all the time I did keep everything within spec. New O-ring chain and sprockets the chain hasn't even need one adjustment in over 6000 miles.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and take back what I said. I assumed something was already done for or you were going to replace sprockets anyway.

If they're in decent shape, wear it out. Just put back a few bucks for the upgrade when it comes. It always comes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts