TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should I get it ? Found an older BMW R60/5~ I GOT IT ! ! !

While at work today I walked the rear of the lot of a row of buildings my bosses own, At the rear of the low where it backs up to row homes I noticed this row home with the missing walls,
And in the yard I spied with my eye an early 70s BMW R60/5 bike just rotting away,
Heres the fun part,
I just rebuilt the engine for my R60/5 last fall and am getting the bike on the road this summer,
So this bike is just sitting there and I would hate to see it go to the scrap yard,
I feel like I have to go there and rescue it for at least a parts bike,
Its about 10' from where I can pull up in the parking lot,
So,
Is it ok to get?
I feel like it needs to be rescued from Mr Scrappy.
Your thoughts? View attachment 28406 View attachment 28407
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Well guys,
I didnt call the police and look for the owner of an abandoned house that looks like a scene from "Saving Private Ryan" ,,,,
I swung by this morning in my truck,
Backed to this handy dandy stub wall, Popped the bike off its main stand and rolled it the 30' to my truck,
Strapped it in and took pics the whole time, I took about 30 pics of the event,.
Ill get a pic of the same year bike that I own and add it to the post,
This bike is parts only unless I can get the engine to run without investing too much time or money,
I have a battery and gas line and spark plug wires and misc parts from owning a similar bike for years, ! !
Ill be tucking this one inside later today,
It will be the first time this bike has rested indoors in I bet 3 decades or more,
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
RESCUED ! ! ! !!
r601.jpg r602.jpg r604.jpg r603.jpg

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have been on the lookout for an older airhead project bike like this one.

I would guess that this bike may have been abandoned by it's owner. If that is the case you may have difficulty getting it registered and back on the road.

If you are able locate the owner and can get a title for it, and can get it for little or no cost, I would definitely do it. If you can't locate the owner or any paperwork, this bike definitely has value as a parts bike since you have a similar model.

I agree that this bike deserves being rescued from the scrapyard, its still got some pretty good bones!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
RESCUE! Please rescue. Salvage title/abandoned title/Vermont title? Rebuild title? I dunno, but these are cool bikes. Make it your side car tug. Don't think anyone on here would say let it go to Mr. Scrappy.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK
I agree
I can get early next week,
While I don't think I have an interest in restoring it,
I have negative feelings of leaving it there to rot.
Ill get some good pics for you all when I recover it,!
As well as pics of my other bikes,

·
Registered
363 Posts
Are we using the terms "rescue/recover" here as substitutes for "steal" ? If so I bet you can do it the honest way by making the owner an offer.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If it's on your bosses property, you at least need to ask him.
That's not a collectible model...part that sucka out on eBay!
But run the VIN before you take it...it may be stolen.
Of course it will be stolen anyway if you take it.
There may be a legal method to claim it if is legally if it is "abandoned"

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Yes. Due diligence as to owner location should be performed. Get the address and look it up in that city's books to see who the owner is.
Send three registered letters to that address, when they come back, your diligence is done.
That is what NY DMV told me to do.
It works.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree that's stealing. If it's abandoned on your boss' property then find a legal way to get it.

I owned a 71 swb r60/5 and literally rode it all over the US and Canada. I loved it for its simplicity and the swb cornered really well.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Jaydub,

What's SWB?

And I assumed it was abandoned. By all means, make sure it isn't somebody's "baby". But it looks abandoned to me. At least the PO had the sense to cover it with a fine blue plastic tarp. lol

Too bad it's not close to TWBrian.

·
Registered
114 Posts
SWB = Short Wheel Base
Yes, short wheel base. I believe it was in 1973 they made a longer wheel base model just prior to the release of the /6 models. Some say it was to improve the handling while others thought the SWB models cornered better and were stiffer. That engine used connecting rods from their 6 cylinder car engines. They used hemispherical pistons and heads. The front brake was adequate but not all that great because it was a leading shoe design. The first gear was pretty tall as it was a 4 speed. The kickstart was on the left side of the transmission and kicked in a straight up and down movement, (not like your TW forward/aft kick). An old timer showed me many tricks you could do with that bike. Like many BMWs (even my R1100RL) can be put on the center stand, leaned in toward you just a little, and you can walk that thing easily in a circle which is useful if you pull into a parking spot, just spin it so it faces out. Run out of gas, turn the petcocks off, pull the two hoses off, and there's a handle like piece underneath the tank so you can take the tank with you for gas and use that as your gas can. To place the bike on the center stand, put the stand down, then put your weight on the center stand tab and it takes very little to get the bike to just come right up on the center stand (no heaving it up). And finally, if you have a flat tire (without a windjammer or such on it), put your bike on the center stand, helmet and jacket either on the back of the seat or the front fender and the bike will rock to that side so you can remove the opposite wheel to put another tube in it or patch the tube you have. It was such a simple design but very robust.

Mine was built in 71 near the end of that model year as I did have the chrome paneled gas tank aka "toaster tank" that didn't come til 72 supposedly. It was a great bike and I regret selling it because of such good memories on long road trips (often went from OH to TX or vice-versa). I had it to Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, around Colorado, all over Texas, Florida, Washington DC several times, several spots in between and tons more places. That bike gave me the most enjoyable memories of some great trips. Some bikes have soul and some are pretty soul-less. My R60/5 had soul and I still love it even though it's long gone.

Mine looked just like above but was burn orange. I had a clear windshield I'd put in for the Spring and Fall but take it off in the heat of summer. I also had Wixom fiberglass saddlebags and a Wixom front fairing but I didn't care for the fairing. I still have the exhaust nut wrench in my tool box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts