TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several injuries over the years: broken toe, broken arm, broken wrist, bad concussion (with short term memory loss/lapses in consciousness...), broken ribs... The last one caused me to sell my bikes and all my gear and quit riding. I did "quit" once before, roughly eight years ago, for a similar reason, but didn't actually sell my TW200 that I owned at the time, and then got back into it. My last injury was losing half of my left testicle (no, not a joke, sadly). My brother got out of riding at the same time I did, roughly eight months or so ago, because his old XR600 wasn't holding up and he didn't have money. He just bought a brand new 2018 Beta 390RRS
( https://www.dirtrider.com/2018-beta-390-rr-s ), and will take possession within two or three weeks. Anyway, I had decided to never go back to dirt bikes because I don't want to be sterile/I want to be capable of getting it done, even if it would never actually happen. So that's why I stopped. Additionally, I'm on a student budget and never plan on making big bucks at all (just enough to barely support myself, tbh).

But I do miss the thrill and adrenaline rush that you can't get anywhere else, and I've been sort of thinking about getting a new DRZ and building it for extreme enduro. Some have suggested just easing back into it and cruising fire roads and such, but that just doesn't work for me. If I'm going to ride, I want to haul ass and tear up the toughest terrain. Otherwise I may as well just take a hike (and I do actually do that sometimes...).

Not that y'all aren't biased, but what do you people think? Is losing half a left nut a good reason to quit riding? Was I stupid to sell my bikes at a loss? Should I buy another and keep riding until death parts me from this world? Or was I being smart? Did I make the right decision? Should I stick with what I chose to do and keep looking at other hobbies (I've been shooting, dancing, hiking, etc.)?

Disclaimer: your opinions and perspectives may or may not carry any real weight, LOL... I just feel really screwed up. Off roading is in my blood, and I feel a little empty inside not doing it, but at the same time, I think about responsibility, self-sufficiency, and being an adult. Sigh.

·
Registered
19,582 Posts
KJ, you strike me as the sort of fellow who should be on his very own Beta 390RRS, or at least a Pre-Owned Betas | Beta USA.
You seem to have the zest for riding that might let you get you hurt on a lesser machine. Your body deserves the best.:D

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Risk vs Reward is always a tough question to answer. Do you have the money to buy a good bike,gear and all the other stuff to support it? Do you live close to a riding area with a street legal bike or do you have to trailer it? Also if you do get hurt what can happen? Lots of tough questions that will need honest answers. I will say this while I've never lost a nut I have gotten pretty busted up over the years but never quit!

·
Registered
745 Posts
My opinion and my opinion only, but if you can't enjoy riding without the thrills and adrenaline, I would seriously recommend that you give it up and concentrate on other stuff. Riding like that is gonna either kill you or, just as likely, cause you to live out the rest of your life paralyzed and in pain. It's just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I only started riding dirt bikes at age 39 and have since been working my way into hard enduro with a Tdub. I have a physical job and can't afford to be injured so I take on reasonable challenges and think ahead with my escape plan if I have to bail.

It all comes down to risk assessment. Maybe you want to consider a different approach to where your power is on your bike so it's there when you need it but not too easy to loose control. Like a weighted fly wheel and less responsive throttle. That and better protective gear.

With the weight of the Tdub I've been weighing my options on a second bike and the DRZ125L, the KLX140G and the CRF150F are my current top picks. I'm leaning towards the kawasaki ATM. It has to best power to weight ratio if I'm not mistaken. The only downside is lack of a kickstarter. I did want a 2 stroke for every reason but noise..I forgot how annoying all that buzzing is.

·
Registered
19,582 Posts
So KJ, think those injuries would have happened on a more capable bike? Trying to build skills on a lesser bike just gets you injured when the bike's brakes, suspension or power delivery let you down. If you are hard wired for the thrills then alternate hobbies will be forever disappointing.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Give the guy a break – he only lost half a nut ….

On a technicality, that should make him ¾ nuts, but I suspect that’s not entirely going in the right direction

KJ – let me give you my own personal take on all of this

I gave up riding for close to 20 years, and for much the same reasons. But “back in the day”, I rode in central London as a despatch rider, where the average life expectancy was six months – I did it for six years

Rather inevitably (I was young and full of stuff and magic back then), I ended up “pranging the kite” rather badly, and decided that I’d pushed my luck as far as it could go. I figured that “shit happens, drive a tank”, and at the tender age of 35, I passed my car test. This didn’t entirely go according to plan, but then choosing a Jaguar XJS 5.3 V12 (with an unlimited slip diff) didn’t help.

The point being, that back then, I was still crazy, not in a mad way, but in a – well, OK – just crazy

Moved out from London to Hampshire, still considered the roads as an obstacle course, and stuck to cars from a need to stay alive rather than anything else. But when I moved to Anglesey a few years ago, the survival rules changed. Here was a place where I could ride and survive (crossed fingers), where traffic was light, and someone with my skills (and a low performance bike) could once again experience the freedom

Biking is in my blood – through and through – but traffic conditions (and a brain) made me supress that. Anglesey and the TW have allowed me to get back out there and do what comes naturally – ride

I don’t need speed, or adrenalin, just a (relatively safe) environment where I can be myself

My point is this – if your brain is telling you it’s not safe, listen to it – it’s probably right

But expect that when you’re 60 like me, you will still have that itch – (but by that age, somewhat less use for your nuts)

I knew the TW seat was crap, but I never considered the possibility of losing half a nut over it

Only you can answer your question – but when it feels right it usually is – and the same goes for when you have doubts ……

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Missing left nut aside KJ, haven't you always had problems mechanically speaking with your motorcycles? Reading your past posts on this, it seems like m/c's running was always of great aggravation and cost which you may want to consider.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I only started riding dirt bikes at age 39 and have since been working my way into hard enduro with a Tdub. I have a physical job and can't afford to be injured so I take on reasonable challenges and think ahead with my escape plan if I have to bail.

It all comes down to risk assessment. Maybe you want to consider a different approach to where your power is on your bike so it's there when you need it but not too easy to loose control. Like a weighted fly wheel and less responsive throttle. That and better protective gear.

With the weight of the Tdub I've been weighing my options on a second bike and the DRZ125L, the KLX140G and the CRF150F are my current top picks. I'm leaning towards the kawasaki ATM. It has to best power to weight ratio if I'm not mistaken. The only downside is lack of a kickstarter. I did want a 2 stroke for every reason but noise..I forgot how annoying all that buzzing is.
Trail Woman.... you'll have to explain to me what is " hard enduro riding on a T Dub"? when i read that, it brought on a... laugh out loud moment for me.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
KJ, nobody here can tell you what to do or make up your mine or even answer your questions, only you can do that and you have all ready done that when you said you couldn't do anything but ride fast. so, ride fast or hang it up

"I want to haul ass and tear up the toughest terrain" why would you want to haul ass on something as heavy as a DRZ. why not something lighter that would be set up for enduro. in my mind a TW or a DRZ are not enduro bikes

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Trail Woman.... you'll have to explain to me what is " hard enduro riding on a T Dub"? when i read that, it brought on a... laugh out loud moment for me.
Preloading and bouncing over logs, climbing up snowy root covered single track. I did say I'm looking for a second bike and working my way up to hard but it's surely enduro single track and I'm surely pushing the capability (weight, clearance, and suspension) of the TDub. I like to plow through the woods off trail yelling trailway, but how many people here would follow me? lol......I laugh when I see people on youtube with more "capable" bikes that are less capable riders. "80% the rider 20% the bike."

·
Registered
135 Posts
When you got to the left nut part you sure got my attention. I dont want to tick you off but do want to offer different ways to think of it. If you had that many injuries and got all the way down to having yer nuts wrenched on ya gotta consider that you are riding past you capabilities. Some people are cut out to haul ass and some aren't but it doesn't mean you cant still ride, you just need to know your limitations. I rode CR250's and 500's up until about 58 years old. While on my last ride on a 500 I was cruising along an orv route which is a small rough dirt road open to all atvs. I came to an intersection where a bunch of youngsters were taking a break and went by them then hammered it. Next thing you know one of them was following on a 450 four stroke and I let her rip. I was doing insane shit and sliding through corners like I had never done before. It was thinking F it I aint gunna live forever and the sob aint passing me and he didn't.

I stopped at a highway crossing and my hands were shaking and my heart was racing and I told my self that I'm an idiot. It was also in the back of my mind that my ill father had recently asked me why my brother and I were so old yet do stupid stuff like ride motorcycles and hunt gators. I sold the bike and continued on into retirement telling myself that it was good while it lasted and I'll find other stuff to do. We started traveling for the winter and went to places like Quartszite, Socal and Moabs. The only problem with that is that they are fantastic riding places and I was sitting there with no toys. I knew right then that I had to have something, I couldn't be out there and not ride so I started looking at what I could haul along with us on a fifth wheel trailer. I was even looking at MINI BIKES, Honda Ruckus and scooters!

My wife had her endorsement and had a Honda Rebel but said there was no way in heck that she was going to ride a scooter so I moved on to motorcycles and it hit me that a TW would be great. They are not terribly heavy or expensive and they should do decent in loose material for my wife. I figured they would be low power so there was far less chance of me having a crazy adrenaline rush and killing myself. We just did our second winter with the TW's and while riding some of the trails we had been on during the first year we couldn't believe we had been on stuff so rugged. We were camped with Tuna who had just sold his TW after an injury and he bought a quad so we started thinking about adding a couple quads to the fleet and bought them this winter. So my plan is to ride until I'm dead and adjust as needed along the way to make that as long as possible. A person has to know their limitations. One new problem that has happened at times with the TW is that I'm finding myself going to far off on remote trails by myself. I make it back out but tell myself that I'm crazy. I aint quittin. Dont quit, you got it in yer blood, adapt and stop the injuries. If you make it out to Az in the winter there are people to ride with and we still know how to party. ;)

Edit: I was at a dealer today for parts and I started looking at a 250 yamaha dual sport. I cant remember the model but it's just above a TW. Next thing ya know I'm over by the KTM 350 2 strokes. God I love a 2 stroke. One of mans simplest kick butt mechanical inventions.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
"I have had several injuries over the years: broken toe, broken arm, broken wrist, bad concussion (with short term memory loss/lapses in consciousness...), broken ribs... The last one caused me to sell my bikes and all my gear and quit riding. I did "quit" once before, roughly eight years ago, for a similar reason, but didn't actually sell my TW200 that I owned at the time, and then got back into it. My last injury was losing half of my left testicle (no, not a joke, sadly). My brother got out of riding at the same time I did, roughly eight months or so ago, because his old XR600 wasn't holding up and he didn't have money. He just bought a brand new 2018 Beta 390RRS
( https://www.dirtrider.com/2018-beta-390-rr-s ), and will take possession within two or three weeks. Anyway, I had decided to never go back to dirt bikes because I don't want to be sterile/I want to be capable of getting it done, even if it would never actually happen. So that's why I stopped. Additionally, I'm on a student budget and never plan on making big bucks at all (just enough to barely support myself, tbh).

But I do miss the thrill and adrenaline rush that you can't get anywhere else, and I've been sort of thinking about getting a new DRZ and building it for extreme enduro. Some have suggested just easing back into it and cruising fire roads and such, but that just doesn't work for me. If I'm going to ride, I want to haul ass and tear up the toughest terrain. Otherwise I may as well just take a hike (and I do actually do that sometimes...).

Not that y'all aren't biased, but what do you people think? Is losing half a left nut a good reason to quit riding? Was I stupid to sell my bikes at a loss? Should I buy another and keep riding until death parts me from this world? Or was I being smart? Did I make the right decision? Should I stick with what I chose to do and keep looking at other hobbies (I've been shooting, dancing, hiking, etc.)?

Disclaimer: your opinions and perspectives may or may not carry any real weight, LOL... I just feel really screwed up. Off roading is in my blood, and I feel a little empty inside not doing it, but at the same time, I think about responsibility, self-sufficiency, and being an adult. Sigh."

Sounds like you should stop drinking not riding lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
This part of your quote has me thinking that you haven't really adjusted your thinking enough to get back in to riding. If you can't compromise by riding a slower bike and it's all about the adrenaline, you're bound to get messed up again.

I used to be ride really crazy when I was younger, and then life happened and I gave up riding for 20 years. I'm in my 50's now, and decided to start riding again. It's not like it used to be - I'm mellower, and less competitive, and am completely OK with the speed and capability of a 200 4-stroke, as compared to a 2-stroke racing bike. When in my 20's, I would have thought riding a TW200 was lame and slow, but I've changed and come to grips with my age. You know what? It's OK, and I'm glad I didn't have to give up a nut to get where I am. Perhaps you need a little more down time to realize your mortality. I hope you find your answer, my friend. Ultimately, it needs to be "your" answer, and it's not going to matter what we think.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So KJ, think those injuries would have happened on a more capable bike? Trying to build skills on a lesser bike just gets you injured when the bike's brakes, suspension or power delivery let you down. If you are hard wired for the thrills then alternate hobbies will be forever disappointing.
It's really tough to say. I suppose I don't think so, though. I've ridden about 60 different bikes over the years, and whatever I'm on, I try to use it to its full potential or beyond. So a bigger/better bike just means going that much faster/doing that much more extreme terrain. The last "incident" was caused by a chain derailment that caused me to suddenly and unexpectedly lose forward momentum (dropping the front tire directly in front of a ~20 inch rock instead up on top of it as I was expecting... [I was wheelying a gap between two big rocks and it would have gone just dandy if the chain hadn't come of...sigh. THAT was caused by a lack of lower chain guard, which had been removed because, well, long story...).

I'm at work so gotta go for now, but I'll try to get some more responses up later.

Thanks everyone for the input :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts