TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got my AG200 on the road and I love it for the local conditions....however, check out this Ural! It's 600cc. I'm foolishly considering sharing it with a friend here. Not sure yet about specs and condition, but we could get it for about 1.8 million MNT (just over a thousand bucks). Oh boy, here we go :(
Ural-sidecar.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts

I second that emotion!
I like the Royal Enfields too. They are very retro and I want one, but I need a big fat rear tire ..... ? (What to do!)

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
The Urals are rocks. High maintenance, but ultra neat. Especially the "two bys". Sure, I'd do it if I was you. I looked at a new one but the 16k price tag scared me away. I do have a military Enfield, and as noted, they are also very retro cool. Also high maintenance. Has to be the most field repairable bike around though. People who regularly ride them always joke about fixing them with coat hangers, beer cans and duct tape...problem is it ain't a joke. :D Mine recently ate most of it's wiring. Expect the same from an old Ural.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I rode a Ural just like that one for a few years, tough rigs. The only problem I had were the Russian main bearings, I replaced them with good German made ones and cured that problem. Keep the speed low and you'll have a ball with it.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
aha now i find this post... it is a ural. very cool looking. would your wife consider/enjoy going two up? or are you and your friend going to take turns riding shotgun? ;)

i guess i should add, my only experience with russian bikes is being towed on a minsk...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Gotta be a story there! I know I have mentioned it before but one of my dream trips is to ride the Ho Chi Minh trail on a Minsk.
funny you should say....

that was the plan in 1998. the price of two bikes, new or used, and the hassle of foreigners purchasing bikes was prohibitive. so ended up spending a month on boats, bikes, minivans and trains trekking from hanoi to saigon and points south. got to ride the reunification express for a couple hundred miles.

rented two minsk for a day and only got 30 miles, under it's own steam, of the 70 mile round trip. the remainder was dragged at the short end of a 10' piece of twine. beautiful scenery, great memories, good times.

definitely interesting and a cultural eye opener.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've always liked them. That's great how it has a knobby ready to go for when the going gets tough. I was wondering if it is mounted for the drive wheel or the front.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
The Ural Gear Up has been on my "when I win the lottery" list for a long time. No rational reason, I just like them. I just went over to their website. It appears that they have drastically cut their US offerings for 2014. Several bikes gone including, apparently, the Solo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts