TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I had an '81 that I bought new. Great bike, kick start only and a 500cc single can be a bear to start at times. That one that you show if it was all original and in pristine condition might get close to the asking price, but it's not. I also think it's way over priced.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If you like the kickstart only, Offer 1900.
Those bikes rarely bring that kind of money over here.

I see all the things that Twilight sees. I just don't think they are worth that much. Those café bikes are always in need of sorting out. Very labor intensive. I DO NOT touch them anymore.

Life is too short to unf%ck crappy café bikes.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
John John, contrary to what Pred advised....I am of the opposite opinion on this bike. ;)

Correct me if I am wrong....need another old-timer to step in here...but aren't those Morris Mags on that bike ?

For the RIGHT price, that would be a good buy. I think the seller has priced it too high, but "I" can see a LOT of work that went into that bike, from Brembo front disc brakes, to Morris mags, to customized exhaust, etc.

Since it is right in the same town you are...go look at it. That is half the fun.
Those are stock wheels and brakes, almost positive.

Yamaha_1978_SR500.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
The SR500 went through several reincarnations – the first with spoked wheels and a drum front – the second with spoked wheels and a disc – and finally, mags wheels and discs …….

one.JPG . two.JPG . three.JPG

The bikes shown above are all on Ebay.co.uk

Yamaha SR500 | eBay
Yamaha SR 500 vintage 1984 model in wonderful timewarp condition | eBay
YAMAHA SR 500, 12 months MOT | eBay

Slightly harder to find are good examples of the SRX series: The SRX600 started life as a twin shock, but the last edition was mono shock – both notoriously difficult to start. Yamaha largely solved this issue with the release of the SRX400, which allowed the bike to have both kicker and electric boot. Getting quite rare these days …..

srx.JPG - Yamaha SRX600 Cafe Racer 1987 | eBay

·
Registered
762 Posts
Former SR 500 owner here.

I liked the bike; but it was very limited. It was crowded two-up; there wasn't room for touring luggage; it had enough power for highway speeds but as a thumper it would set your arms a-buzz.

Right now the high values of 500s are in their collectibility. That means reasonably close to stock - not hacked into something looking like what's all over boneyards after the idiots with Sawzalls couldn't sell them on CL.

That thing is maybe an $800 parts bike. Or...with a LOT of work...a de-build candidate. Depends on how badly they butchered the frame.

Do not buy.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I can now see that the wheels I "thought" might be Morris Mags...are indeed stock mags, that someone has painted all black.

But that front brake is a Brembo brake caliper and disc...with is not stock or OEM. The rear brake is all stock, but a Brembo brake on the front is a huge improvement.

Again, I would just go LOOK at it, for the fun it it...and then NOT buy it.

View attachment 29505
I stand corrected, I didn't click on all the pictures on the CL listing. That is indeed a Brembo on the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an SR250 that I loved but of course I wanted faster. I bought an SR500 and hated it. Hard to start too heavy and big for what it is. So I got an SX400 and rode it for many trouble free years.
I now have just one Yamaha after giving my V Star 650 Classic to my son. I only need my TW200. I am older now and realize. The TW200 is everything I need in one bike.
I did not like the SR500. I was never happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
18,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've never owned an SR500, but like them, well, I like how they look. There was a stock '78 model in Dallas recently for two grand. It was in great stock shape from what I could see. I think it's sold now. It was owned by Re-Cycle Motorcycle Sales. Dallas is only 300 miles from me, but I didn't pull the trigger. At my age I worry about the "kick start only" aspect. I am under the impression that the new SR400 is also "kick start only". Could be wrong, but don't think so. I like the "thumpers".

·
Registered
810 Posts
In the day those were wonderful bikes if you were man enough to endure starting and riding. I call 'em "ballbeaters".
Awesome brakes (for the time). I think you have to be under 25 to truly enjoy them. As a "collector" unit that bike is priced too high.
As a "rider" just 'cause you wanna try and old school thumper it again it too much and needs too much work. Times have changed
there are much finer bikes from the 90s and up to be had. I ran both an SR500 and the dual sport XT500. My knee hurts when I think
on them much. I'd say take a took but be wary as SR500s do have that "look" that will suck you in and the dude will take a silly lowball offer.
Then your stuck with reality.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've never owned an SR500, but like them, well, I like how they look. There was a stock '78 model in Dallas recently for two grand. It was in great stock shape from what I could see. I think it's sold now. It was owned by Re-Cycle Motorcycle Sales. Dallas is only 300 miles from me, but I didn't pull the trigger. At my age I worry about the "kick start only" aspect. I am under the impression that the new SR400 is also "kick start only". Could be wrong, but don't think so. I like the "thumpers".
No, you're not wrong. When I was looking at the TW200...there was a new SR400 on the floor. I was drawn to it...and of course the salesman saw my interest.

The price was out of my comfort zone, for what it was. And it is only kick-start - and still with the compression release. The same antiquated start drill: Unfold the kick starter; open the release, roll the engine until the white bar is in the cam-cover window; and THEN...SLAM IT HOME.

The salesman tried to convince me that with EFI, it would always start without fail. Probably true - but still there's all that prep. Ever try doing that after stalling when taking off at a light?

If I were twenty years younger, I'd go for it. Today, the "Electric Kick" is the way to go. When I had the TW, I toyed with the idea of putting a kickstart on there - but then I realized I'd NEVER...EVER...use it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I had an SR250 that I loved but of course I wanted faster. I bought an SR500 and hated it. Hard to start too heavy and big for what it is. So I got an SX400 and rode it for many trouble free years.
I now have just one Yamaha after giving my V Star 650 Classic to my son. I only need my TW200. I am older now and realize. The TW200 is everything I need in one bike.
I did not like the SR500. I was never happy with it.
I had the 500...and I loved the hell out of it, in the short time before I piled up...but then. It was only my second bike and my first brand-new one.

Like your first piece of...you know. May not have been the best; but it was the one that opened up a new world for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts