TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the dilemma, I am looking at a 2006 TW with 2238 miles, original tires and chain, with the only add on being hand guards. I think she will sell it to me for 1600 but she is being a bit flaky, she says her mechanic friend says it needs float bowl gasket and float needle. Or I have a 2012 Bonneville T100 that I haven't been able to sell that I could trade for a new TW, the trade on my bike is 4965 so I could get the TW plus mx helmet, goggles and gloves(I think) for my bike.
Should I go new or used and save a lot of money?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
As long as it runs, doesn't have to be well, that's a good deal for an '06. On the other hand, new is nice... If you don't think you could do better selling the Trump and buying the TW, AND you'd be happy with the deal and not miss the Trump, I say go for new. FWIW, I do like having a bigger street bike, Honda 919, as well as the TW but I'd really be torn if I had to choose one or the other.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Pull that trigger. My 06 has similar mileage and the stock chain and tires. Not a fan of the chain but it'll work for now. If you gotta do any bowl gasket, kill two birds with one stone and throw some jets in that girl.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Buy the used one ( if it runs at all ) and keep the Bonnie. Then you have two bikes for two different kinds of riding. I got my 2014 new last month for $3600. I woulda bought a used low miles if I coulda found one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike will need new tires at ~$225, not sure of the chain, carb rebuild kit $30-35. At the moment the bike is not running so I don't know if there are any problems but it is a rather simple engine that wouldn't be too much to fix. Although a new bike would be grand and no problems.
Since I am on the least coast I should represent well and get the used.
It is hard to decide, that is why I am asking people that have no monkeys in this circus.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Tires don't cost that much. $115 fir rear shipped, and upgraded front for $70 ish shipped. Well, maybe if you can't mount yourself and gotta pay someone.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't forget the tubes, another $30. The fact that it doesn't run scares me. I bought my 2006 last year for $1,800. It only had 790 miles on it- hard offroad miles. It needed new chain and sprockets, new bars, left side case, and BY ALL MEANS check for a base gasket leak, mine had it and i didn't negotiate that into the price. Very common on these. If you can do the work yourself, it'll cost you near $100 in parts. If you have to take it to a shop, more like, $300 parts and labor. Worst case scenario on the carb, $278 for a new one. How's the inside of the tank look? What's the air filter look like- is it cleaned/oiled? Need a battery? Another $50. Just look it over REALLY well and use your best judgement, better if you can take a friend with you to look at it again- a second pair of eyes to catch things is a big help. And last but not least, this isn't the last used T-dub on earth, if the deal doesn't "feel" right- walk away. You may be really anxious to get one right NOW, but i'll guarantee you, there's plenty where that came from.- Glenn

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am hoping to hear from her soon about it and will let you folks know. I ran into bigger than expected problems on my great deal Ural but pretty soon I will have a darn near new Ural.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it would be your only bike, go for the used (after due diligence) and keep the Trumpet for sure.

Dave

·
Registered
213 Posts
The not running thing could work out to your advantage if you can negotiate a price. Its not like this is some run high jump fast motor. A little tinkering could solve that pretty easily in my opinion. But I like a project. I used to have a old 72 240z. Bought it for 500 bones. Guy told me the carbs needed total rebuilds. So i said hey, sounds like fun. Went to start it and fuel was dumping about the forward carb. Turns out the float had just fell off its pivot pin. 5 minutes later it was good to go.

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Needs work Vs new... Hmmm.

If this were October, instead of almost May, and the used bike were of reasonably sound nature, ie, frame straight, forks not blown to hell & bent, rims not bent, plastics not broken up, or signs of other abuse such as you might see from falling out of the back of a pick-up, etc. AND you could get it for under $2K, And you can turn a wrench, AND your intentions are to add all the normal upgrades like a Clark tank, new tires, chain & sprockets, wide foot pegs, etc. etc. AND you had the holi-daze budget all set aside, I'd say buy it!

Flip side of the coin is, we only get too few summers!! AND in those too few summers we only get too few days to go out & treat ourselfs to a ride on arguably the funnest bike of all time, seeing the sights, etc.

You can always add the improvements (toys) to the new bike in the future. Adding more summer time rides is far more of a challenge.

My 2 cents. (and a nickle ain't worth a dime anymore!) m.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Kinda glad I didn't buy my bike new. I'm a crappy rider and crash often enough that I would feel bad about the new bike getting all bruised up. My 2007 TW had 1600 miles, seemed to be in working order, had both cycleracks, and was owned by a 65 year old man. I couldn't pass it up for $2600. Consequently, I did not feel as bad when I crashed it yesterday and gave her a few new dings. Front tire wash out in hairpin turn on a dirt and gravel road. I'd like to blame it all on the deathwing but I seem to remember a little panic braking because of my going into it too fast.

Anyhow, my vote is for used.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All of you make valid arguments and I like the idea of new but being cheap the used sounds good. I want to decide by Friday so tonight over a few drinks I will ponder the choice. Again thank you for the advice and the east coast/west coast snark.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I am going with new, I have found a local dealer that has both a 14 and 15 so I am going to see what kind of deal I can get.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts