TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I just got my 1995 running after purchasing it five months ago. The owner told me that he would just start it up every once in a while. I had it idling today and not only did the engine get very hot but also the gas tank. There is also a small backfire every so often at idle and then the bike eventually shuts off after running for about 5 mins. Is this typical at idle because its air cooled. What should be my next steps.

I have done so far......
!. Valves have been adjusted
2. Oil change done with new filter/correct filter
3. Air filter is clean - air box removed - hollow mod - converted to crankcase breather and pod filter
4. Spark Arrestor was cleaned and replaced
5. Header pipe is clear

I have not checked the plug or cleaned the carb (previous owner claims to have done a rebuild) nor turned the air screw at the bottom of the carb as of yet. Thought I would chime in here first.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Excessive heat is a good indication the bike is running lean. I had the same problem with my brother's TW. In about a month's time of sitting the gas had gone bad and corroded/plugged the jets, and even the new needle valve he had installed not long before. I would recommend cleaning the carburetor. There's some good carb info in the Technical Write-Ups section of the Technical Help forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts