TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to settle some planning for the proposed upcoming ride.

Date: I propose Friday Oct. 6th through 9th.

Those showing serious interest to date :
Fred
evan
Admiral
Mrs.Admiral
Bananachunks
Donzo
Mountain Redbelly
Fresno
SanDue

Any changes in numbers as it affects camp space requirements?

Location options:
1) The original plan was to return to Sweetwaters with expanded riding. Good in that what worked before should work again. Bad in it is high, mostly dirt and a partial repeat for some.
2) “Lundy Lake Aspen Tour” camping either up Green Creek or northern end of Brridgeport Reservoir. Lower elevation but feature lots of riding on HWY395.
3) “Carson Pass” - a modified easier version of my last week’s ride. HWY88 and backroads through Hope, Faith & Charity are much safer for group ride, place is closer and likely less crowded.

All three options feature zones of aspens, small creeks, mtn views, and varying degrees of dirt road options, some easier than others. All could have limited access to small town stores, bars and gasoline if needed. All options entail some risk of not being able to secure quality primative camping. Most national forest campgrounds seem to be closed by Oct7th. or earlier. Private campgrounds could be an option

I vote for option 3. Gives most of us several hours less driving for more riding and visiting. I know acceptable spot for numerous rigs and trailers easy to find.
This OK with everyone? If not speak up!
Questions? Comments? Jokes from the peanut gallery?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Option 3; Hhmmmnn

Are we sure Dan and Sue will try this again. Might be like Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football ! :eek:

Guess I need to check the weather. Was in a no off-road ride mode after dropping my health insurance a couple months ago, because pissed at them raising rates $200 in 13 months.
Had a couple of things happen that worried me; so dropped the 'cut off nose to spite face' and re-upped. Back on as of yesterday (911).

Hwy riding. Guess the 65 tooth has to come off.

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Option 3 could well be called “The Let’s Ditch Dan and Sue Again” ride since the proposed base camp would be near previous group ride rendezvous location of Red Lake. That was when colorblind SanDue went to Blue Lakes instead.

Misc. Option 3 imagery:

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course now that I have twisted everyone’s arm to go Option3 I realize the 7th & 8th is also Alpine Aspen Festival images-2.jpeg images.jpeg sorensens_fall.jpg in Hope Valley. I wonder why?

We can leave all these leaves and festival goers behind and ride Faith and Charity Valleys to end of road at the Sunset and Wet Meadows Lakes. 109412453.jpg
The next day we can ride west over Carson Pass for further adventures.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Date and #3 works for me. So is bringing rpod trailer okay here? Fred wisely said no to sweetwaters. Multiple creek crossings, big ruts and drop-offs would have torn up my trailer. This trip may be a lot colder so easy to set up covered wagon tent might be too cold.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The highway, total distance, and 1.4 mile dirt road access are all rpod compatible Mike, so bring the new rpod and save the time spent setting up your tent and use it instead visiting. Finding room for all of us plus trailers might be a challenge though. I hope no one wishes to also occupy the big area shown in the picture, which is bout 800 ft from top to bottom of photo. While would be best to be clustered together we may have to spread out on both sides of main road.

camp red lake.jpg

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hope Valley was probably first seen by John Fremont and Kit Carson in their mid winter trip across the Sierra in 1844, but it was members of the Mormon Battalion, returning from the Mexican War of ’46-’47 who named the lovely valley in 1848.During the massive emigration to California which began with the 1849 Gold Rush, the valley’s tall grass was important, offering plentiful forage for cattle and horses for emigrants using the Carson River Route of the Emigrant Trail. From the late 19th century through the 1970’s, Hope Valley continued to be used by Carson Valley ranchers for their summer pasturage.”
PHOTO_13430485_62973_23351504_ap-558x446.jpg images-3.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts